Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #1,636 of 2,569
I think comfortwise the Sundara is on par with the older Hifiman headband style on the HE 560 which is that same as on your headphones (I’ve read initial complaints about the Sundara because the earpiece doesn’t rotate about the vertical axis but I think most get accustomed to the fit).

Regarding the hotspot you’re getting, it’s strange because I don’t recall many people saying that about Hifiman headphones because they’re relatively light. A couple of things to try:
- try to place the headband strap on the flat (front to back) part of your head because ithe strap has no front to back curvature
- extend the earpieces a little more to relieve the tension at the top of your head
- carefully bend the headband to adjust the pressure in your ears

I hope this helps.

I think the hotspot is related to me trying to bend the 400s headband in the past to adjust the pressure around my ears. I bent it back to the normal position and now more clamping force on the earcubs and less pressure on the top of my head. I don’t think I can win or my head just doesn’t like hifiman headphones haha.

The old headband on the Hifiman HE-500 does not cause this hot spot, I think the comfort issues probably come from the weight.

I might look into getting a ZMF pilot pad to see if this increases the comfort.

Thanks again.

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,637 of 2,569
No I don’t think so because of the instructions to change the jumper.

by the way, my jumper was fixed in place at the default position with a couple of drops of glue so be patient when you first try to take it out. You can then use a piece of Bluetac to secure the jumper in place. (Hot, melted wax is good as well, but it hurts if you use your finger to put it over the jumper LOL)

Thanks. I see the pictures/instructions on the Audio GD site. I’ll open the R2R tonight and see if the jumper is easy to move. Might be going with bluetac then haha.

Thanks again.

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,638 of 2,569
Hello again. Just had a question on adding another amp by RCA to the R2R 11 in the future.

Currently when using my old Matrix m-stage or Magni amp by RCA/dac out, I have to change the volume on both the amp and the R2R 11 to get the right balance in sound. I have tried switching from variable to fixed with no solution.

If I upgrade the amp in the future, I would like to just use the amp volume knob to control the master volume. There must be something I’m missing, I probably need to do more research.

Thanks for the help.
The max volume and fixed volume of the r2r-11 could be too much the amps, in which case the sound would be distorted. On the other end, you amps could perform not so well with low level signal. They are not necessarily meant to be used with low-level signals. If you have those 2 problems, you have to use both knobs. Or at least to set the r2r 11 to a value you know works well and then only use the amp volume.

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #1,639 of 2,569
The max volume and fixed volume of the r2r-11 could be too much the amps, in which case the sound would be distorted. On the other end, you amps could perform not so well with low level signal. They are not necessarily meant to be used with low-level signals. If you have those 2 problems, you have to use both knobs. Or at least to set the r2r 11 to a value you know works well and then only use the amp volume.

Fixed volume in low gain is 1V which is around what you would expect from a DAC. High gain is 2.5V which is a little over. For example Schiit DACs have a 2V output. The max variable output is 5V which is too much. So fixed output low gain should be good for most cases.

Jun 21, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #1,640 of 2,569
Fixed volume in low gain is 1V which is around what you would expect from a DAC. High gain is 2.5V which is a little over. For example Schiit DACs have a 2V output. The max variable output is 5V which is too much. So fixed output low gain should be good for most cases.
Actually 2V is the standard output for a dac. 1V is a little low, 2.5V is fine but not ‘standard’. Anything higher can be an issue if your amp can’t handle the power. Most balanced amps can easily handle the standard 4V output from a balanced dac.

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,641 of 2,569
Since starting the R2R11 thread I've been enjoying the little guy immensely and see no reason to part with it any time soon nor replacing it. This thing is just stupid good for the money

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #1,642 of 2,569
Since starting the R2R11 thread I've been enjoying the little guy immensely and see no reason to part with it any time soon nor replacing it. This thing is just stupid good for the money
It most certainly is. You’d have to spend three times the money to buy something that, on paper, looks to be the natural upgrade as a discrete R2R all-in-one, the R-28, and the law of diminishing returns means you’re not getting three times the quality - just a more refined, more flexible, more powerful version of the same idea. R2R-11 is easily the best value all-in-one under $1k imo.

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,643 of 2,569
It most certainly is. You’d have to spend three times the money to buy something that, on paper, looks to be the natural upgrade as a discrete R2R all-in-one, the R-28, and the law of diminishing returns means you’re not getting three times the quality - just a more refined, more flexible, more powerful version of the same idea. R2R-11 is easily the best value all-in-one under $1k imo.
Indeed, I imagine the R2R28 to sound blacker and more refined (I haven't read any comparisons yet) It has three times the chips and power, with a digitally controlled relay volume (which I love) and more connectors. However it's also bigger and while I am pretty sure it represents great value the R2R11 is indeed pretty darn good for 350 and small

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,644 of 2,569
Guys, out of all the headphones I've used with the R2R11, the AKG K240DF EP is simply the best experience I've had with it, and quite cheap aswell.
Not HD800 nor the T1 gave me that pleasure like the K240DF EP gives with the R2R11.
I highly recommend trying this combo as this is my end game indeed.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #1,645 of 2,569
Guys, out of all the headphones I've used with the R2R11, the AKG K240DF is simply the best experience I've had with it, and quite cheap aswell.
Not HD800 nor the T1 gave me that pleasure like the K240DF gives with the R2R11.
I highly recommend trying this combo as this is my end game indeed.
Ok, I've just watched a review on them and the reviewer absolutely loved them ....... except for the bass, which apparently was fast and accurate .... if you don't mind any power with it, as in a fast roll off as well, though it is extended. So, how do they sound with the R2R? The midrange is apparently spectacularly brilliant, so is it forward (like the HD6xx) as well? Or just exceedingly natural, fast and smooth? They seem to be part of that earlier era clique that created great headphones, like my HD540 Refs etc.

Jun 24, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #1,646 of 2,569
Ok, I've just watched a review on them and the reviewer absolutely loved them ....... except for the bass, which apparently was fast and accurate .... if you don't mind any power with it, as in a fast roll off as well, though it is extended. So, how do they sound with the R2R? The midrange is apparently spectacularly brilliant, so is it forward (like the HD6xx) as well? Or just exceedingly natural, fast and smooth? They seem to be part of that earlier era clique that created great headphones, like my HD540 Refs etc.

The only review I've seen on the K240DF, that guy said that the bass is none existent and it's far from the truth, never felt like the bass is missing, especially with the R2R11 which gives a good impact in that region. The mid range is the magic here, best mid range I've heard. I'd describe the sound to be super natural and none hyped, as realistic as life gets :) it delivers that unexplainable magic that takes you to places.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:13 AM Post #1,647 of 2,569
The reviewer I watched did say that the bass was quite extended, just very light in power. He did say though, that he was using a Modi and Magni 2 and that amp may just have not had enough cohones to drive the 240DFs. Actually, they remind me of the response of the 600 ohm Senn HD430s, mine have very rolled bass too, though very clear mids and top end.
I'm delighted to hear you have found an 'end game' pairing! I have that with the Mimby/Magni 3/HD540 Ref1 set up. I would like to hear the K240DFs with the R2R myself though, maybe I need to hunt a pair out :) ...... in fact, maybe I just need to re-assemble my HD430s first and see how they go with the R2R!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #1,648 of 2,569
The senns have a different sound signature and I believe that they were at their peak at that time. What's the point in spending so much $$$ for something that doesn't make you feel the music, sure sounds clear though. For anyone wanting to try the 240DF with the R2R 11, listen to it for a week and it'll captivate you.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #1,649 of 2,569
The senns have a different sound signature and I believe that they were at their peak at that time. What's the point in spending so much $$$ for something that doesn't make you feel the music, sure sounds clear though. For anyone wanting to try the 240DF with the R2R 11, listen to it for a week and it'll captivate you.
Agreed! I have no wanderlust for really expensive cans, I'd just like to hear the Focal Clear, is all :) My focus now is on a new tube preamp that I can build after I get some surgery done.

Jun 24, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,650 of 2,569
Tonight has been the first part of playtime with the Senn HD430SLs and the R2R. First of all with the HD250 leather pads and quite thick inner foams (they came with the pleather pads, originally, I didn't like them), it sounded pretty good though the s/stage was a tad narrow and I knew that these 'phones were clearer than this. I took the pleather pads off the HD540 Ref1s, complete with the DT880 inner foams that are 1/2 the thickness of the ones that came originally with the pleather pads and voila, clarity, openness and that wonderful way that the late 80's and 90's Sennheiser headphones had with a rhythm, always alive and on the money timing. I used the same terrific Willie Nelson/Wynton Marsalis album as I did a couple of nights ago and although there isn't the all encompassing immersion as with the Ref1s, the sound stage is excellent and with very good focus. The R2R is such a good headphone amp and DAC! It's also working very well as a DAC/preamp into the Yamaha HS8 monitors, Netflix movies are open, clear and with excellent clarity.
It looks like I'm going to have to order immediately another set of pleather pads and some spare inner foams, probably needing to buy a second set of the DT880 velour pads just to get them, at least they're cheap. I'm tempted to maybe just try the 'warm' setting on the R2R for a bit, but I really don't want to lose that clarity in the mids and top end either! Great to get some use from the HD430SLs, I prefer them now to the HD6xx, even if they don't have quite the weight in the bass, they're actually more transparent, the double bass on the aforementioned album being extremely clean and with very good detail so far. Looks like tomorrow will be a fun day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back