Audio GD NFB-11.28 vs R2R 11
Jun 10, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #1,546 of 2,569
I will say that I am super impressed with the customer service from Audio-GD. I ended up buying a C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp from them a couple days ago. This will be used to drive my Beyerdynamic Amiron Home and Audioquest Nightowl Carbon headphones. I asked for a total price shipped, and Kingwa gave me a response in less than an hour. I had a couple questions about the NFB-11.28, and R2R 11, and he gave a response about those within a couple hours as well. I am rather excited to try out the C-2. It should be shipping in the next couple days.
Wait to see what you get for your money.

In case you don't know, by default, all audio-gd pre or hp amp short the unselected inputs, thus totally eminating crosstalk. Most audio equipment are fine with this. But in case of doubt, see the user manual to learn how to install jumpers to disable this feature.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,547 of 2,569
This just means we are trying to understand why anyone in its right mind would designate the r2r 11 as bad equipment while every honest person we know has the greatest respect for it, for the hard working and friendly genius who designed it and his loyal employees who assemble it for our greatest benefit. No, they are not pefect, but they are good people.

The internet is full of shills. In the times we are in, things will go wrong for dishonest persons. Just hoping your are just expressing your truly felt opinion and wish you get whatever you deserve, i won't be the judge. While i am at it, i will state my only interest in the matter: that honest, talented and hard working people be recognized for what they are and that they be thanked with great respect.

I just felt that why should a reviewer:

1. Take a bashing for making a living and that without the accuser having hard facts.

2. Having an opinion. If it's god or bad, that's their opinion.

Whats up with the karma stuff?

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,548 of 2,569
I just felt that why should a reviewer:

1. Take a bashing for making a living and that without the accuser having hard facts.

2. Having an opinion. If it's god or bad, that's their opinion.

Whats up with the karma stuff?
If that is your unbiased (meaning not monetized) opinion, that's good. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. As for karma, or getting what you deserve, that's life. Just thought it was worth mentioning, just in case. Otherwise, i value freedom of speech. Love my r2r 11 anyway. To put in context, those guys on the other forum have got on my nerves. When i see a newcomer stating bad things about a product I appreciate while reviewing a direct competitor, i have the reaction i have. It has become a reflex. Good for you that your were just doing your reviewing job, good for your karma.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,549 of 2,569
If that is your unbiased (meaning not monetized) opinion, that's good. Everone is allowed to have an opinion. As for karma, or getting what you deserve, that's life. Just thought it was worth mentioning, just in case. Otherwise, i value freedom of speech. Love my r2r 11 anyway. To put in context, those guys on the other forum have got on my nerves. When i see a newcomer stating bad things about a product I appreciate while reviewing a direct competitor, i have the reaction i have. It has become a reflex. Good for you that your were just doing your reviewing job, good for your karma.

Ok, now your lost.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,550 of 2,569
If that is your unbiased (meaning not monetized) opinion, that's good. Everone is allowed to have an opinion.
Very well said. There are too many reviewers everywhere nowadays (youtube, reddit, facebook, etc), the competition is tough and the ones that get well paid know it so they try to please, not the reader, but the sponsor which is the one that matters to them. Opinions dont make a living, a good ad does :disappointed:

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,551 of 2,569
Very well said. There are too many reviewers everywhere nowadays (youtube, reddit, facebook, etc), the competition is tough and the ones that get well paid know it so they try to please, not the reader, but the sponsor which is the one that matters to them.
Exactly. Makes me sick. Very common in the automotive domain as well.

Jun 11, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,552 of 2,569
Guys,

I never tried any of these but I am considering the R2R 11 as my new DAC.

As anyone compared it with more traditional dacs like rega dac or audiolab m-dac?

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #1,553 of 2,569
Got my ifi ac purifier tonight. One hour ago, to be accurate.

In my setup, i have a first powerbar/conditioner that feeds the class-d monoblocks, the Schiit wyrd and and a 500VA isolation tranfo (balanced), which itself feeds a linear supply for the singxer f-1, the r2r 7, the master-1 and the nfb-1amp. I put the ifi purifier on the first powerbar.

First impressions are a mixed bag:

The good:
1. Blacker background which adds clarity to intruments at the back of the stage. No emphasis, just more clarity.
2. Better spatialization.
3. More relaxed
4. Better micro-dynamics

The bad

1. The sound might have gotten too polite.
2. Macro-dynamics seem to suffer a bit, there is a lack of slam, attacks are softer in general

To early to state a verdict. The ifi is brand-new.

Jun 11, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #1,554 of 2,569
Guys,

As anyone compared it with more traditional dacs like rega dac or audiolab m-dac?
I've had a chance to test the Audiolab M-dac briefly, which was not a bad DAC at all. Its resolution suffered a bit in that very setup.
I don't say that the R2R-11 is the king of the hill in this category as newer delta-sigma, or more expensive ladder DACs can bring you more detail - maybe too much sometimes-, but it has such an analogue, lifelike, presence-full presentation which is hard to beat in its price class and the detail is also very good.
Audio will be always a matter of personal taste, but I'm almost sure, you won't regret the R2R-11, if you prefer to enjoy the sheer music and not analyzing tracks, and native DSD playback is not indispensable for you . :)

Jun 12, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #1,555 of 2,569
Kind all day!
Could you check?:
Do you hear any difference in hearing(?) when playing DSD128 records with the setting by locating Native DSD
http://prntscr.com/js2gq8

And then the same song (but just rearrange setting on the PCM)
http://prntscr.com/js2haw
(we get the decoding of the DSD to PCM "on the fly")

The player on which it needs to be checked - download the link (portable version): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ITfTExU7jDZUfazwc7-J_I23Vlg_6Ur6
just download it, unpack it and get to these settings:
http://prntscr.com/js2fm8

http://prntscr.com/js2fz8

http://prntscr.com/js2gci

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #1,557 of 2,569
Maybe this question was already here, but somebody tried or could hear more about Audio GD NFB-11.38 ?

or, maybe, is there already a part of forum about it?

I own 1 NFB11.38 it sound great what is your question

I never own 11.28 or R2R 11

But I think the improvement between three of this should not be more than 10-20 % it just sound signature different.

I would upgrade to R2R dac in the near 2-3 year future waiting for the technology to sustain

DAC improvement is very big step this past five year.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,558 of 2,569
Guys,

My friend used to have a m-dac. He now has my old Master-7. For him, it's not comparable. The r2r-11 is not so far behind so you should like it if you value an analog sound, tonal accuracy and a flat response.

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #1,559 of 2,569
I own 1 NFB11.38 it sound great what is your question

I never own 11.28 or R2R 11

But I think the improvement between three of this should not be more than 10-20 % it just sound signature different.

I would upgrade to R2R dac in the near 2-3 year future waiting for the technology to sustain

DAC improvement is very big step this past five year.
Yes, dacs are getting much better.

Jun 12, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #1,560 of 2,569
R2R 11 = Built in 2 groups DA-8 R-2R . R2R-15 just has 1 I think.

Guys I am getting closer to deciding between the R2R11 and R2R15 but really hoping someone has heard both and can compare?

As the R2R15 is about $130 cheaper here in Australia vs the R2R11 which is significant price difference.

Also what is the DA-8 and why is having 2 better than 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back