Audio-gd NFB-10
Oct 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,761 of 2,860
I am thinking about getting the NFB-10ES3 but I am confused about the difference between this and the the NFB-28. The only noticeable difference I noticed is the NFB-28 replaces outputs for analog inputs. Is this it, or am I missing something? Additionally, is the TCXO upgrade worth the extra $40 (on either option)?

the nfb 28 is also more powerful I think, and others have said it's a little "cleaner power" due to the extra Core Blocks in side of it 

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #2,762 of 2,860
I am thinking about getting the NFB-10ES3 but I am confused about the difference between this and the the NFB-28. The only noticeable difference I noticed is the NFB-28 replaces outputs for analog inputs. Is this it, or am I missing something? Additionally, is the TCXO upgrade worth the extra $40 (on either option)?

the nfb 28 is also more powerful I think, and others have said it's a little "cleaner power" due to the extra Core Blocks in side of it

There are 2 differences between NFB-28 and NFB-10ES3
1.Analog inputs 1xXLR and 1xRCA inspite of 2nd outputs
2.More powerfull R-Core transformer
Beside that both units are the same. Exact same mainboard.
In case of ES9018 implemetation as both of these DAC's are, both TCXO upgrades are highly recomended.

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,763 of 2,860

There are 2 differences between NFB-28 and NFB-10ES3
1.Analog inputs 1xXLR and 1xRCA inspite of 2nd outputs
2.More powerfull R-Core transformer
Beside that both units are the same. Exact same mainboard.
In case of ES9018 implemetation as both of these DAC's are, both TCXO upgrades are highly recomended.

Wish I'd know the TCXO was well that important of an upgrade :/ oh well 

and yea I knew the 28 had a more powerful R Core Transformer

how does the 28 compare to the Ref 10.32? Power wise 

Oct 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,764 of 2,860

The TCXO upgrade is probably more of an expectation bias than anything really, unless you have two units, one with the upg and one without to blind ABX the two. I didn't opt for the TCXO upgrade for that reason.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,765 of 2,860

The TCXO upgrade is probably more of an expectation bias than anything really, unless you have two units, one with the upg and one without to blind ABX the two. I didn't opt for the TCXO upgrade for that reason.

Yes as I've said before, if it's not broke don't fix it/ You guys know I am and ALL OR NOTHING guy, and once I go ALL in according to my own perceptions, I find no reason to grieve over what might have been a missed oppertunity, as all my gear is to be sold off and upgraded at some points, so either way. TXCO or no TXCO I'll upgrade to something better than the TXCO might have offered eventually 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,766 of 2,860

When i am asking for advice about ES9018 DAC's i always recomended TCXO upgrades. Btw you can order TCXO upgrades, whenever you want to, exchanging the clocks procdure is simple. Now you have std clocks, if do not feel need to upgrade its fine aswell. Ref 10.32 have 3 R-core transformers from the look of its standard size, yet its a way better  class of unit, than NFBe-28. 3 different sections powered by 3 separate transformers, truly luxury solution, but for totally diferent price.

Now that's a question of approach and personal experiences. From my point of view 2 basic foundation of creating succesfull ES9018 project are precise clock (which TCXO is) and real proper power implemetation.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,767 of 2,860
  When i am asking for advice about ES9018 DAC's i always recomended TCXO upgrades. Ref 10.32 has 3 R-core transformers from the look of its standard size, yet its a way better  class of unit, than NFB-28. 3 different sections powered by 3 separate transformers, truly luxury solution, but for totally diferent price.

Yea I figured, when I decide I want an HE6 I'll most likely upgrade to that 

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #2,768 of 2,860
The main use for me would be a DAC first and foremost. This would feed to my newly aquired PS Audio GCHA. I like the idea of having an extra headphone amp for future expandablity, but I just don't quite see me ever needing the XLR analog inputs. Both have unique flexibility for adding equipment down the road, but I think the extra outputs on the NFB-10ES3 will benefit me much more.

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,769 of 2,860
The main use for me would be a DAC first and foremost. This would feed to my newly aquired PS Audio GCHA. I like the idea of having an extra headphone amp for future expandablity, but I just don't quite see me ever needing the XLR analog inputs. Both have unique flexibility for adding equipment down the road, but I think the extra outputs on the NFB-10ES3 will benefit me much more.

I only feel the need for one dual XLR out put, I only want one more amp and that is the LD MK VI+, which would leave me with a balanced tube and a balanced solid state. And with that combo I'd be finished with amp upgrades for a while. That is until I've tired every option within the realm of the HE5xx and T90 class of headphones, including the MD, the LCD 2 the D7k, the HE 4 the HE 500 the HE 5LE the T90 ect... ect... and I'd need to try balanced verisions of all of these. So my Nfb 10ES2 should last me a little over a year. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2,771 of 2,860
  I currently own the Audio GD NFB 10SE and wonder what the advantage of a TE8802 usb chip upgrade might be?
My 10SE is from may 2012 - did it already come upgraded?

Audio gd DI-DSP (withTE8802 chip), when feeding a NFB-10SE I have, produces only a subtle improvement to my ears.
If your unit had the TE8802 chip, it would need drivers to operate through usb. Of course you may open the case and check which usb chip you have.
Have you checked with Audio gd whether the upgrade to their usb-32 is possible ?

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #2,772 of 2,860
  I currently own the Audio GD NFB 10SE and wonder what the advantage of a TE8802 usb chip upgrade might be?

Are you using a windows computer? Plug it in via USB and look at your audio devices. It should say the chip in there. 

Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat about upgrading. Dunno if the TE8802 would be worth it. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,773 of 2,860

The 10SE with TE8802 was called the NFB-10.2.  Was sold for a very short time as the next USB32 came quickly.

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,774 of 2,860
Wow, I am afraid I could hardly agree with any of you saying that the TE8802 (Async) is somewhat the same sound quality as the old TE7022 (Sync).

The TE8802 is certainly a different beast and way better than the TE7022 in all aspect.

I have the 10SE and the DI-V1, both have the TE7022. The DI-V1 is upgraded with the TE8802 module and sounds good. Therefore, I purchased the DI-V2 which have TE8802 inside.

However, beware that some users complained that the driver of TE8802 makes their computer hang, which I did not experienced with many Notebooks and PCs. (I am a PC man which could have accessed of many different computers).

You could mail to Kingwa and check if he is able to upgrade yours to the latest USB-32, which should be better than the TE8802.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,775 of 2,860
Hello,

I had the TE 7022 in my old DAC-19 DSP, the quality was like normal stereo.

I have the TE 8022 in my DAC 10.2, the quality is hifi and this chip works with JPlay in best config (buffer DirectLink).

You can change the clock and modify the powersupply, look at

http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2933&start=30

I changed the TE 8022 to VIA USB-32, look at

http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2933&start=45

This new chip is very good (for example with Mac and Amarra) but not for JPlay (because buffer is ony by 256 or 512 and this degrade the sound). Hope kingwa spend a new driver to get buffer in DirectLink modus.

Till this day best performance is with Tenor TE8802, better clock and power supply and JPlay in Streamermode.

best regards

Bernd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back