Audio-gd NFB-10
May 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #2,435 of 2,860
Question re: the "DAC/HP" button on the NFB-10

The manual says:

"[size=medium]DAC/HP[/size][size=medium] button[/size]
[size=medium][size=10pt]Select the output source. 
H:   Headphone output. 
P:   Preamplifier output. (Users can choose between “variable line level” and “fixed line level” mode in Preamplifier output. In “fixed line level” mode, NFB-10SE becomes a Fully Balanced Dedicated DAC; In “variable line level” mode, NFB-10SE becomes a Fully Balanced Dedicated DAC + Fully Balanced Preamplifier.
[/size]
[/size]

Ok.   So how do I "choose between variable and fixed" ??   .....  I ask, because I fear if I have my PC (set to maximum volume) connected, and the DAC then connected directly to my power amp    ... and somebody accidentally selects "fixed output" instead of "variable output", that I will be putting a full scale signal straight into my poweramp.   (LOUD!)

If it's no so easy to accidentally select "fixed output" ... then I will be happy.   :)

May 17, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #2,436 of 2,860
Quote:
Question re: the "DAC/HP" button on the NFB-10

The manual says:

"[size=medium]DAC/HP[/size][size=medium] button[/size]
[size=medium][size=10pt]Select the output source. 
H:   Headphone output. 
P:   Preamplifier output. (Users can choose between “variable line level” and “fixed line level” mode in Preamplifier output. In “fixed line level” mode, NFB-10SE becomes a Fully Balanced Dedicated DAC; In “variable line level” mode, NFB-10SE becomes a Fully Balanced Dedicated DAC + Fully Balanced Preamplifier.
[/size]
[/size]

Ok.   So how do I "choose between variable and fixed" ??   .....  I ask, because I fear if I have my PC (set to maximum volume) connected, and the DAC then connected directly to my power amp    ... and somebody accidentally selects "fixed output" instead of "variable output", that I will be putting a full scale signal straight into my poweramp.   (LOUD!)

If it's no so easy to accidentally select "fixed output" ... then I will be happy.   :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have the open the case to change that portion.  In my fiddling with mine for 6 months I haven't managed to figure out how to change it to fixed, so I'm not completely sure. 

May 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2,441 of 2,860
Quote:
Ah.  That is good news. Thankyou.

Could somebody please confirm ?!

Yes, confirm. You have to open it and adjust inside the NFB-10SE to shift the setting.

May 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #2,442 of 2,860
Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have the open the case to change that portion.  In my fiddling with mine for 6 months I haven't managed to figure out how to change it to fixed, so I'm not completely sure. 

It's not really a switch. You need to get a jumper (you can find a 10-pack from Fry's for like a dollar), and then stick it in the socket in the picture. It kinda sucks that you have to buy an extra part because they come lots of 100 usually. I feel like it makes more sense to include it (and have line-level as default) and give users the option of removing it for variable-level. 

May 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #2,444 of 2,860
Quote:
I believe my 10SE came with jumpers, in the same bag that held the optical cable. Not clear on that because I haven't had a need for that cable and as such I just shoved it in my "unnecessary cable" drawer.

Interesting. I did the same (shoved the optical cable into my "unnecessary cable" drawer), so I didn't even notice it. I'll have a look later when I get home.

Just got a Super 7 in (should have you come over to check it out) so I'll want to keep it at fixed-line output. Kingwa did mention that volume 38 is about "line-level" for the pre-amp output though, FWIW. 

EDIT: you're right. I found my optical cable bag and there was lots of jumpers in there. Thanks for the tip. 

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #2,445 of 2,860
Hello everyone

I just brought a used NFB 10se and every sound very good with my HE-500.  However I'm having a problem with the setting.  I have no problem listening to 24/48 but once i switches to the 24/96 everything just go silent.( while foobar is still playing on the computer).  My set up is Laptop --> (USB) --> NFB 10se -->(balanced cable)--> HE-500.  I tried 16/44 flac music and also 24/96 flac files none work.  Is there a config that i need to change in order to play at 24/96?  Also does the NFB 10se do upsample?  Thanks you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back