Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,786 of 2,860

Quote:
I think he meant over the price of the nfb-5.

but as far as not needing balanced - it wouldn't be that hard to convert your phones to balanced and take advantage of an incredibly inexpensive balanced amp.  I listed to almost all SE myself but I am converting all my hp's to 4-pin and I use an adapter for my other amps.

Ah, yeah, exactly... if there is no difference in sound between 5/10SE as a DAC (not balanced), the price for the remote would be $200 for me.. a bit steep I think. If the DAC is much better in the 10SE (in SE mode) than the 5 though, it's another matter altogether.

No, not hard, but with a Leben CS300 as a HP amp, I doubt I'll be using the 10SE much at home... and I'm not sure I want to spend that much on going balanced at work, only have a pair of D2000 there anyway.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,787 of 2,860
Can any owners in the US share their DHL / EMS shipping experience?

I know the cost is about the same between DHL and EMS from Audio-GD.  I also know EMS is little slower, but I'm more interested in duty + brokerage fees the DHL charges that EMS seems to escape.  Did anyone in the US have to pay duty and/or a brokerage fee?  If so how much was it and which shipping method did you choose?

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #1,789 of 2,860

Quote:
I thought to buy matrix cube dac and m-stage amp for my hd600 until today. Nfb-10Se's price is lower than cube plus m-stage. Is there anybody to compare these devices for me? My hd600 with cardas cables(non-balanced) and I have alessandro ms1i. I will not buy any headphones with balanced option in the near future.
I read pages and pages, but I didnt sure. Cube's DAC section is so good and m-stage is very good amp in 500 bucks. But nfb-10se looks like perfect. Ok , it is your turn. My budget is $500-$600.
I wish these questions be helpful to people who look for $500-$600 dacs/amps.

Both your HD600/Cardas and your MS1i can be reterminated to balanced very easily, they both have 4 wires. This is worth doing and you can do it yourself in a 1/2 hour.

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #1,790 of 2,860
I much prefer DHL. I've had no problems with them in the US. No extra fees.

Quote:
Can any owners in the US share their DHL / EMS shipping experience?

I know the cost is about the same between DHL and EMS from Audio-GD.  I also know EMS is little slower, but I'm more interested in duty + brokerage fees the DHL charges that EMS seems to escape.  Did anyone in the US have to pay duty and/or a brokerage fee?  If so how much was it and which shipping method did you choose?

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,791 of 2,860
Both your HD600/Cardas and your MS1i can be reterminated to balanced very easily, they both have 4 wires. This is worth doing and you can do it yourself in a 1/2 hour.

New vision for me !

balanced hd600 with nfb-10se or unbalanced nfb-3 + c2.2( or m-stage), which is good? (balanced headphones is not suitable for headphone outs of normal amplifiers,so retermination process is not first choice for me and of course my iems have not balanced jacks.)

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #1,792 of 2,860
When you reterminate, you can make an adapter at the same time. Ask Kingwa about the advantage of either setup, I don't know the answer but my guess is that they are similar in SQ. Balanced is worth doing IMO. If you get the NFB10SE with the lowered gain, you can use your IEM's single ended too.
There must be some reason Kingwa's highest-end gear is all balanced.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,794 of 2,860
If I'll be sure that balanced output of nfb-10se is worth it and nfb-3+ c.2.2 is not necessary, I'll will make balanced hd600 ! Searching..

Thank you for all, but I wonder that in this price level, are there any good option(combo or seperate dac and amp )? I already have nfb-12.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,798 of 2,860
Because people are PM'ing me asking for opinions, here are my thoughts on the NFB-10 and the LCD-2s and LCD-3s.

I really think it rocks out well with both. It's not quite up to delivering the subtlety and detail the LCD-3s I've noticed with them on my main rig, but allows them to deliver that fast attack that makes the orthos so much fun with a lot of music. The NFB-10 is to amps and DACs what the LCD-2s are headphones -- they have a very similar character -- a bit "dark" (though it's the proverbial "black background" from equipment can giving that impression) and very punchy, if not the most refined available, but you need much greater gear still to realize it. I'm not sure that LCD-3s with just an NFB-10SE wouldn't be a bit of overkill on the headphone side. Makes me wonder how HE-500s would fare, to be honest, as that could really be a great bargain rig if they are a good match.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,799 of 2,860

Quote:
Because people are PM'ing me asking for opinions, here are my thoughts on the NFB-10 and the LCD-2s and LCD-3s.

I really think it rocks out well with both. It's not quite up to delivering the subtlety and detail the LCD-3s I've noticed with them on my main rig, but allows them to deliver that fast attack that makes the orthos so much fun with a lot of music. The NFB-10 is to amps and DACs what the LCD-2s are headphones -- they have a very similar character -- a bit "dark" (though it's the proverbial "black background" from equipment can giving that impression) and very punchy, if not the most refined available, but you need much greater gear still to realize it. I'm not sure that LCD-3s with just an NFB-10SE wouldn't be a bit of overkill on the headphone side. Makes me wonder how HE-500s would fare, to be honest, as that could really be a great bargain rig if they are a good match.

We will have one at our January mini meet. kingwas is sending one. We will also have the HE500  to try and will post out thoughts on it at the end of January.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,800 of 2,860
Where's that meet? Also, if anyone remotely near Western Mass has a 10SE, I really want to audition one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back