Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 14, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,711 of 2,860

Quote:
I've been using the 10SE's usb input since day one. I've just switched over to optical (DIR9001). Very subtle difference, but the optical input may be alleviating some issues I had with the presentation. Can anyone else hear the difference between these two inputs? I'd like to go coax but would need to invest in a usb to spdif adapter (not sure if that can be justified at this level).

Edit: I don't know if it's the quality of my MacBook's optical output vs usb, or the quality of the 10SE's DIR9001 vs TE7022, but to me optical is less dry and a touch more dynamic. Just listened to John Legend's rendition of What a Wonderful World and his vocals are more natural, nuanced yet smoother. A nasal quality that's somewhat related to the dryness in the upper mids that grated me in some tracks is gone. It's less subtle than I initially thought.

By buying the Fiio E10 you have a portable amp for your laptop, and a USB to SPDIF converter.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #1,712 of 2,860

Quote:
I've been using the 10SE's usb input since day one. I've just switched over to optical (DIR9001). Very subtle difference, but the optical input may be alleviating some issues I had with the presentation. Can anyone else hear the difference between these two inputs? I'd like to go coax but would need to invest in a usb to spdif adapter (not sure if that can be justified at this level).

I haven't used usb since day one.  I found I liked the others better then never had a reason to use usb again.  The optical and coax sound similar to me but coax effortlessly goes to 24/192 where optical is excessively staticy even at 176.  Optical also get touchy sometimes when I've had to move stuff around and the optical cable gets moved.  I also have multiple coax cables connected via the coax connector so it's an all around win.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,713 of 2,860

Quote:
I haven't used usb since day one.  I found I liked the others better then never had a reason to use usb again.  The optical and coax sound similar to me but coax effortlessly goes to 24/192 where optical is excessively staticy even at 176.  Optical also get touchy sometimes when I've had to move stuff around and the optical cable gets moved.  I also have multiple coax cables connected via the coax connector so it's an all around win.

u know what isnt an all around win: when you are waiting 2 months for your nfb mother fkn 10SE and it still aint arrived....

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #1,714 of 2,860

Quote:
Try pressing the button and turning the plug left and right a little. Might be the metal in the catch isn't bending quite far enough.

Been doing that all day long. May have to sacrifice the cable but would still be afraid of the locking mechanism making it impossible to remove if I go at at with cutting tools :frowning2:

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #1,715 of 2,860
Have you tried un-screwing the plug? The internals should all come out then, leaving just the outer ring and locking mechanism. You should then be able to cause that to be released with something sharp and pointy, then (if it isn't broken) just be able to screw it back together.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #1,716 of 2,860
Okay, so it's been decided. I'm going to get the NFB-10SE and be done with audio gear for a good while I think. It came down between this and the Violectric V200, but I figured I'd buy this and spend the difference on a Q-audio cable and maybe a Magnum project or an easy DIY project for fun (Gamma2? Millet Minimax?). 

Going to order with both the WM8805 and the DIR9001 just to compare them, and then get the low gain lowered -7db. I'm hoping this thing will drive my orthos as good as my vintage receiver so I can get rid of that thing. 

Any last minute advice before I send payment? 

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,717 of 2,860

Quote:
Do you have the unit? He only lowers the Low gain portion, not the high gain. It makes it much easier to use efficient headphones or IEM's. You can still use high gain for HE-6 type headphones.

Yes I have the unit but your right, I misread the question thinking he didn't realise there was a low gain option.

I'm so impressed by this unit. Such musicality and authority. The black background and lack of fatigue are really noticable for me.
At $500usd this is remarkable value imo. If your on the fence with this one, well you shouldn't be imo. I'm definately an Audio-gd convert.
Got to love China.

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,722 of 2,860
Well I have a 10SE on the way ....should be fun to compare against the other A-gd gear I have. Is the FUN DIR9001 module compatible with the 10SE by any chance ? 

Peete.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #1,723 of 2,860

Quote:
It's always a long wait when you're waiting for new toys....

So true, but seriously mine came really quickly - 4 working days to Aussie land.

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #1,724 of 2,860

A couple of snaps from the iphone.

I'm running from the coax digital out of the Zodiac+. A mild but noticable improvement over the Tenor usb chip.
I haven't tried the xlr out to the MKV1+ yet, I've been enjoying the ss amp so much. Great synergy with my D7000's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back