Audio-gd NFB-10
Oct 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,471 of 2,860
@Currawong: any chance of a comparison between the inbuilt NFB-10SE amp and the Phoenix? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,473 of 2,860
I went 2 days without issue, but the tapping sound reappeared last night. It persisted for about 30 minutes. Turning the amp on/off, adjusting volume and changing usb ports out of my MacBook had no bearing. I left the unit on and turned the volume to 0 for a while. Came back and the tapping had disappeared. So frustrated I can't reliably replicate the issue under specific conditions. The unit may have to be shipped back. It'll give me the opportunity to have the gain lowered at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bit of a concern with my usb input. One two separate occasions I noticed a tapping sound at irregular intervals. I initially thought it was a percussion instrument I'd never heard before in the track I was listening to, but it persisted after playback stopped.

The SE had been on for a few hours at this stage but it wasn't especially warm to touch or affected by anything external. I turned the unit off and was then greeted with a scrambled display instead of the flashing NFB-10 after turning on again. I left the unit off for a longer period and returned to find everything working fine and had no issue for the rest of the evening.

Yesterday, the SE had been on for about two hours when the tapping returned. Same as before, it sounded like a percussion instrument (or a table tennis ball hitting the table). I adjusted the volume up and down to eliminate the issue people had complained about previously with stuck relays. The tapping persisted, although it was affected by volume and wasn't audible at 0. I cycled through the inputs to find no tapping, but it returned when switching back to usb. Changing filter or sample/bit rate output settings from my MacBook did not eliminate it. I turned the unit off, but the screen was fine (flashing NFB-10) when I turned it on again soon after. However the tapping was still there.

To troubleshoot, I left the MacBook on and in the same state but turned the SE off and unplugged the usb cable from the SE to test the issue with my Audio-GD FUN. Perfect playback with no hint of the sound. I set the SE up again and found everything back to normal.

In response to an email, Kingwa stated it may be a faulty TE7022 input and the unit may have to be shipped back. I'm listening intently but haven't been able to replicate the issue since yesterday. I don't really want to send it back to Audio-GD, but I'm now also concerned the quality of the usb input on my unit may be compromised.

Has anyone else encountered this? Could it be burn in growing pains?

Edit: Problem solved. Disregard post.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,474 of 2,860
Good luck getting that sorted.

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,477 of 2,860

Quote:
That's got to be disappointing.  Especially with your balanced cables right around the corner (I imagine).  

Does the 10SE not have screw-in USB modules like the FUN did?

it only have spdif/dir module iirc

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,479 of 2,860
Hi all, my NFB-10WM arrived this morning (EMS)eleven days after order and payment was sent , quite impressed with their processing of my order with minimal contact needed and all projected time estimates were easily met, too my mind thats a good way too kick off a new relationship when dealing a company for the first time.

Ordered the NFB-10WM WM8805 plus DIR9001 module ($22.50 extra) and also received a free headphone modification kit x 1 but have no idea what this entails as yet. (but will find out) 

Initial impressions after unpacking and inspecting the housing are very positive, lovely fit,finish and presentation, all gaps are tight and uniform and all parts are flush with no protrusions anywhere that would spoil it's lines. Overall the solid and hefty feel it gives has a reassuring effect that a good deal of time and effort has been taken in manufacturing this product.
It's interesting to note that the 10WM weights in at 9.5kg and the 10SE is 5kg, that's almost twice the weight, I'm wondering where this extra weight comes into play, perhaps someone knows?

The 10WM will be my all in one desktop solution for HP amp/dac/volume control and xlr outs running a pair of  Dynaudio BM5A MKII active monitors, JK Mk3 coverter , DT880prem / HD600 HP's.

Obviously far too early for any type of evaluation but even then my general lack of experience with headphones/dacs/amps should not really sway anyone one way or the other, just though I'd share some early observations before getting stuck into some serious listening over the next few weeks, Cheers.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #1,480 of 2,860
I tried, for fun, the NFB-10SE plugged into a power filter and using the Audiophilleo 1 with the USB Isolator and DI PSU to see how far I could take it vs. my Ref 1 + Phoenix rig. The result was very good, but doesn't have the same open and effortless sound my main rig does with the LCD-2s. The difference between straight USB input and using the Audiophilleo is hard to pick casually. The overall difference between the previous "worst possible" set-up and making things as good as possible wasn't huge. The main difference was my dislike of what I think is the effect caused by the WM8805 is negated in the "best possible" set-up.

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #1,481 of 2,860
Have you been getting a lot of head time with the 10SE? Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem olor1n.

Quote:
I tried, for fun, the NFB-10SE plugged into a power filter and using the Audiophilleo 1 with the USB Isolator and DI PSU to see how far I could take it vs. my Ref 1 + Phoenix rig. The result was very good, but doesn't have the same open and effortless sound my main rig does with the LCD-2s. The difference between straight USB input and using the Audiophilleo is hard to pick casually. The overall difference between the previous "worst possible" set-up and making things as good as possible wasn't huge. The main difference was my dislike of what I think is the effect caused by the WM8805 is negated in the "best possible" set-up.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,483 of 2,860

Quote:
Have you been getting a lot of head time with the 10SE? Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem olor1n.

Quote:

I've isolated the issue. There is nothing wrong with my SE.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,484 of 2,860

Quote:

Much obliged Currawong. You've saved me some pennies.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #1,485 of 2,860

Quote:
How does the nfb-10SE sound with the LCD-3?
deadhorse.gif

Patience, patience. Won´t happen anytime soon unless Currawong get on the magic four train :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back