Audio-gd NFB-10
Oct 13, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,412 of 2,860

Quote:
Yes, Kingwa will build it with -7DB low gain as opposed to 0DB.  The high gain will remain at +12DB.  I don't know why they don't just make this a running change since I really can't see the downside.

Hmm, might also need high-gain taken down a bit for the LCD2's.

I did ask another manufacturer the same question and they said there would be a slight sound-quality penalty if a gain-reduction board was fitted.  Then again, the NFB10 is a different design and this might not apply.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,413 of 2,860

Quote:
Do you have any further impressions of these 2?

Don´t wait for that to happen. May take some time before I start the urge to compare those. I don´t expect the difference to be all that note worthy. Didn´t notice anything when switching them the first time but then it was rather fresh. The sampling settings is pretty pointless to these ears I dare to say. There is no way on earth I would ever be able to differentiate them in blind testing.

Oct 13, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,415 of 2,860
Quote:
Yes, Kingwa will build it with -7DB low gain as opposed to 0DB. The high gain will remain at +12DB. I don't know why they don't just make this a running change since I really can't see the downside.

Hmm, might also need high-gain taken down a bit for the LCD2's.

I did ask another manufacturer the same question and they said there would be a slight sound-quality penalty if a gain-reduction board was fitted. Then again, the NFB10 is a different design and this might not apply.

Kingwa has stated there is no compromise in sound quality when using low gain. Volume matching with a meter verifies this claim. The volume control implementation also ensures there is no channel imbalance at lower levels like in traditional volume pots, so the main concern may be increments that are too big when using the unit in balanced mode and with sensitive headphones.

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #1,416 of 2,860
Yes there is no difference with low gain or high gain. I think most of the time for people who preferr high gain is that it´s so easy to accidentally listen a bit louder.

I had the gain lowered on my GHP. Stepped attenuator it just had to big steps in the low end for my taste. Even though the ED 8, DX 1000 and HD 800 balanced is really low I haven´t had problems fine tuning the SPL on the NFB10SE. Seems a bit more evenly spread not as logarithmic as the GHP.

I do like the digital controls. Sure it´s more fun with a knob to turn but it´s less precise and if you use higher quality stepped attenuators like the Goldpoint Headphone Pros you don´t get that smooth feel anyway. The best is the LCD display showing you the volume settings.

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #1,417 of 2,860
I agree with you about digital volume- but after a few glasses of wine when the room is dark.......buttons are not my friend vs. a big knob 
blink.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,419 of 2,860
If anyone near MA gets one, I want to audition it with my new HE-5LEs. (Yah, I finally manned up and got them!) Still waiting for a loaner power amp in the mean time. Right now, I'm astonished that my head-five can drive them, but it is. Anyway, the more I read, the NFB-10SE seems right up my alley. I have to say though, if these new phones get even a bit better than they already are, I don't know what I'll do with my self. Quit my job and live in a box near some source of electricity and wifi? This is a possible scenario!

Oct 14, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #1,421 of 2,860

Quote:
Kingwa has stated there is no compromise in sound quality when using low gain. Volume matching with a meter verifies this claim. The volume control implementation also ensures there is no channel imbalance at lower levels like in traditional volume pots, so the main concern may be increments that are too big when using the unit in balanced mode and with sensitive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back