Audio-gd NFB-10
Sep 25, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #1,276 of 2,860

Quote:
For the people who asked: Yes, I'm selling my Ref 1 and getting a Ref 7.1

The 10SE has been here for a few days. My first thought is: Don't worry about 192k high-res files and get the DIR9001. The WM8805+WM8741 is a bit lacking in the dynamics department. The general sound is wide and clear with the LCD-2s, however. 

Congrats on the new gear acquisitions Curra.

Quote:
I told myself that I would instantly buy a 7.1 if I ever saw one available but when they came available I just couldn't do it.  Though I recently bought several complete systems since it seemed like the easiest way to find what I wanted and I still have it all - so my money is sadly tied up still.

Still jealous.

Curra's RE1 is very close to the RE7.1 in SQ although I do understand the rationale behind wanting a DAC that is in very limited production. A second hand RE1 is still a great bargain worth thinking about if there are no RE7's FS (used or new). Just a thought really FWIW.

Quote:
Cheaper components. DAC in the chassis sharing power. Also might wonder if it´s perhaps harder to get a higher powered power supply to behave nicely.

As for DAC I do use the Audio GD Ref9 which I am quite happy with so this DAC really need to be a giant killer litterary.

From what I understand of the A-gd PSU topology Kingwa's staple design is parallel stabilized with lots of regulation / filtration. The design makes the PSU stable during large swings of both V and I. The class A biasing of the supplies may be inefficient from a power use standpoint but the extra power drawn is not a lot on the lower end gear (not that bad for the TOTL stuff either). I'm unsure of how extensive the build is for the lower end gear WRT PSU but you can bet with the limited space available there will never be a switch mode type substituted.

Peete.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #1,277 of 2,860
Interesting. I really like my T1 with my NFB-12, and even though my wallet is hurting right now, it's really tempting to pick up the NFB-10SE and go balanced. Will be watching this thread for awhile.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #1,281 of 2,860
They are very overdue to have a proper shopping cart on their site.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #1,282 of 2,860
Sorry for the crosspost, but since many threads concerning the same product are allowed, please allow me to post this in the threads concerning the same product too.

I just want to tell you how my ordering process went.

I paid on the 26th for the NFB-10SE plus shipping. Then I remembered that I also wanted the headphone balance modification kit, and sent an email to ask them if I had to send them 30 more dollars. They answered me with this email:

Dear xxx,If you want add the headphone balance modification parts,that:And we had received your payment USD573.5,but because pay via Paypal need account the Paypal fee,so that correct total price is USD593.3 still need USD19.8

So I just sent them 20 dollars instead of 30, as that was what they asked for. After that I receive this email:

Dear xxx,Thanks,that you do not want add the "headphone balance modification parts",right? 
I was utterly shocked when I red that, sent them another email asking for clarifications, and they answered me this way:

Dear xxx,Excuse me,the USD19.8 is the Paypal fee(3.4%+USD0.3),because you just paid USD573.5 at first time,but the Paypal fee USD19.8 have no pay.So that if you want add the headphone modification parts need add USD30.

In the end I've just sent the remaining 10 dollars, but it bothers me, as for every transaction I make, I have to pay a fee to my bank and to paypal. I understand that their English is not very good, but I don't want to pay extra money for that.
I really hope this won't happen in the future. I want the transaction to go as smooth as possible, not having to deal with these problems. May this not happen ever again...

it seems you didnt wait for their quote on total payment on the 1st time. their 1st reply said your payment lack the paypal fee (the $19,8) and yet you only send them $20. of course they think you dont want to order it.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #1,284 of 2,860
They are very overdue to have a proper shopping cart on their site.

agree, a shopping cart that auto calculate fee :p

I "think" the problem has been solved. Had ordered 2 times before, and never had these problems.

it is good to know it already been solved.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #1,285 of 2,860
Sounds like they forgot to add the Paypal fee in the first place. I hate paying that fee but do you really want to send credit card info directly? They would most likely tack the CC fee onto their items anyway. In the end, it's still a good deal IMO.
Yes, time for a real check-out service. My wife is about to get a job with a company that does these transactions for business's.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #1,286 of 2,860
It's arrived.

It's bigger than I imagined, rather deep. I am running my DT770/600 balanced through this. I had the NFB12 before in this setup. I can tell immediately it's better than the 12- more separation of instruments/ vocals, tighter bass, just better (balanced doesn't hurt I guess). I am also using it for TV/movies which I know is overkill (it's my bedroom system). It's going to run a t-amp - http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-M-S-L-SA-S3-TA2021B-25W-2-4-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-/220867533283?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item336cbb19e3#ht_8264wt_1163 -  and some small Energy speakers for better sound from the TV (and some tunes I guess from my 300 CD changer stationed there- I knew I'd have a use for that someday). Using the filters is very subtle, most I cannot tell but I didn't give it much time. One minor gripe, the wording below the output button is DAC/HP but the display shows P or H. The wording should be PRE/HP, not DAC.

I'll comment further in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back