Audio-gd NFB-10
Aug 20, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #1,066 of 2,860
I think you already had a 1ppm tcxo, you just got an additional one. It's the DI that has an upgrade clock, I'm not so sure about the NFB-10. Seems like the big and small may be functionally identical since the writing is identical, just different case size.

The DI clock that was upgraded from said this:

JCO 8-3-B
24.5760Mhz
HCJ 99/12-27

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #1,067 of 2,860
^ All the ES9018 DAC's say "upgrade to TCXO clock since 21st February" on their product pages (well the NFB7 is the only current product with the ES9018, the others all said it before they were discontinued). So the Digital Interface isn't the only unit with an upgradeable TCXO.

I just paid for a new TCXO for my NFB10ES, as I got one of the first units... Now I'm a little worried.

Can't find my allan key set at the moment to see whether I have the same one in the right of your pic SemiAudiphile. I assume your unit was made before 21st Feb?

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,068 of 2,860
I got mine in May I believe, ordered around March. I am confused now because from my understanding, from posts before, I thought it was confirmed that the TCXO upgrade for the 10ES was the bigger looking clock. I'm still waiting for a reply from them.

Well, as far as the Digital Interface, I ordered that around May as well with the TCXO and it has the bigger looking 24.576MHz clock. 

Here is the actual reply from Edwin a few months back after I asked him about installing the TCXO:

Quote:
Dear Sir,
As the photo you give we for a look,the TCXO is can upgrade to the new TCXO,and usually we are use some
gluewater for fix the TCXO will not move.You can look about it

Edwin

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #1,069 of 2,860
Does anyone know the exact tool type and size needed to open the top panel of the Audio-gd NFB-10WM case? I have been wanting to open mine since I got it, but nothing I have matches it.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #1,070 of 2,860
Buy a set of hex wrenches is my suggestion. 
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,071 of 2,860
Edit: err I was hallucinating. I think the hex is 3/32, maybe 7 or 8/64. My 5/32 is just a tiny bit too big. Make sure you get a hex set with smaller than 5/32. Or ask audio gd to include one if you order from them again.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,072 of 2,860
Placed an order for a NFB-10WM with both input filters and Digital Interface. Wasn't sure about getting the DI at first as I don't know if the NFB-10WM is resolving enough for me to benefit from the DI (and how apparent the poorer quality of my digital sources might be) but as Audio-gd offered me the discount for ordering with the NFB-10, I decided to go for it. I did not opt for the separate PSU.

Then I discovered that there is a 1 PPM TCXO upgrade (mentioned above no less). I sent an email to ask if I could modify my order to include this upgrade. But I was wondering about the opinions of those who have auditioned a pre/post TCXO upgrade for the DI. As I understand it the TCXO upgrade will only be beneficial when upsampling (to 96khz with DIR9001 or 96/192khz with WM8805).

Also, I'm uncertain whether I should opt for the DI with coaxial input (version A). I will mostly be using the NFB-10WM with my PC as a source and have the option of coaxial out from my sound card (HT Omega Claro Halo) or USB...

Anyone care to offer suggestions as to what config of DI I should get?

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #1,074 of 2,860

Quote:
Placed an order for a NFB-10WM with both input filters and Digital Interface. Wasn't sure about getting the DI at first as I don't know if the NFB-10WM is resolving enough for me to benefit from the DI (and how apparent the poorer quality of my digital sources might be) but as Audio-gd offered me the discount for ordering with the NFB-10, I decided to go for it. I did not opt for the separate PSU.

Haha, good one. I think you'll like it.

Then I discovered that there is a 1 PPM TCXO upgrade (mentioned above no less). I sent an email to ask if I could modify my order to include this upgrade. But I was wondering about the opinions of those who have auditioned a pre/post TCXO upgrade for the DI. As I understand it the TCXO upgrade will only be beneficial when upsampling (to 96khz with DIR9001 or 96/192khz with WM8805).

There is a TCXO for NFB-10 and one for DI. The DI's is only used for upsampling, and costs extra. IMO, save your money on the DI one. The NFB-10's was upgraded in February and is used all the time, no need to upgrade it (that's what they're talking about above)

Also, I'm uncertain whether I should opt for the DI with coaxial input (version A). I will mostly be using the NFB-10WM with my PC as a source and have the option of coaxial out from my sound card (HT Omega Claro Halo) or USB...

Anyone care to offer suggestions as to what config of DI I should get?

Definitely get the one with SPDIF in, it's supposed to be a very good reclocker (and your sound card should be good already). Also, look into upgrading the hex inverter for the best $2 upgrade ever.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,076 of 2,860

Quote:
There is a TCXO for NFB-10 and one for DI. The DI's is only used for upsampling, and costs extra. IMO, save your money on the DI one. The NFB-10's was upgraded in February and is used all the time, no need to upgrade it (that's what they're talking about above)

I just got confirmation that my DI has been upgraded to version A with coxial input and the clock upgrade. You may be 100% correct that I am wasting the $23 for the TCXO upgrade. However, I was confused by how upsampling worked, so I just decided to add it. My understanding is that I can only upsample at the source (PC output) or using the DI. But I can't upsample with the NFB-10WM (only oversample during the D --> A conversion). My reasoning was that the upgraded clock in the DI might be an improvement at upsampling over using the clock in my sound card... But maybe I'm just confused. (Should help with the resale value  of the DI if it comes to that in any case 
tongue.gif
)

And besides, what's an extra 2% or so on the order total at this point...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #1,078 of 2,860
I think getting the digital interface will be a very good move. I would strongly recommend getting the optional external power supply though if you haven't already. I have read quite a bit on DI and other converters and have consistently noticed that upgrading power to be one of the most often cited improvements.

I went with the Audiophilleo2 and it really improved things for me with NFB-10WM. I think I was hearing a lot of the usb issues such as jitter, dirty usb power, etc., and was clearly not hearing the NFB10s potential using its stock USB (which is still pretty good for a stock implementation). The Audiophilleo2 doesn't have a separate power supply but has galvanic isolation and power filtering mechanisms built-in. To me it has been a very nice upgrade, but the DI is very respected as well. Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes and congrats on your purchase.

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #1,080 of 2,860
Sid-Fi: I got the Olimex USB isolator and my Audiophilleo got even better. I'm using the power supply from the Digital Interface for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back