Audio-gd NFB-10
Jul 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #992 of 2,860
ahh i see. i thought they both had the same amount of jitter but have a different sound characteristics

Quote:
I don't believe anyone opted for the DIR9001. Most consider the WM8805 to be a superior chip since it has lower jitter and supports 192khz.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #994 of 2,860

Quote:
The WM8805 is supposed to match the WM8741's sound signature of "warm and slightly soft" or however Kingwa puts it on the description.

The DIR9001 is still the King of the Hill if one values a more balanced, neutral and slightly more detailed presentation. Sometimes combining a warm receiver with a warm dac chip is too much of a good thing...it all depends on the I/V stages in the DAC (voicing) and the rest of the gear downhill from the DAC. The only way to know for sure is to do a direct comparison. That being said either chip is better than any other receiver out there today with the DIR9001 being the old guy on the team and the WM8805 the promising much needed rookie.
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm actually glad to see a chip that isn't a poor performer ( the CS series, 8412/8414/8416 for instance which are terrible when it comes to jitter specs) up against the venerable 9001. If one does not need 24/192 capability the DIR9001 may be your ticket...if you need 24/192 then the only choice these days that comes close to the performance of the DIR9001 is the WM8805. That simple really.

Peete.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #995 of 2,860
So I'm listening to my almost new nfb10 today and I had to stop because I didn't understand why I heard someone typing.  Decided it was a TV or something then it drove me nuts and I realized it was the nfb10 just clicking away like crazy.  or like a type writer.  No changes in volume or gain but it's obviously relay chatter of some kind. 

so yes, I've cycled the power, unplugged it, pulled the HP's off and all that.  It starts up within a few seconds of turning it on.

any ideas?

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #996 of 2,860
yes I get this when using low impedance HP sometimes - I've got no idea what it is but it doesn't sound happy.

Aug 1, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #998 of 2,860
Thanks,  I did all the easy stuff like reposition every switch, cycle power and sweep the volume.  I left it unplugged for 24 hours and it's ok now.  Who knows, maybe it will never act up again...

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #999 of 2,860
Move the volume up or down slightly. It sometimes gets stuck between two relays as they note on their product page.

it really a) doesn't get stuck between 2 relays. The problem is that you get weird noises that travel between channel (hiss and hum) on almost all volume pot positions, even when you hear it click into a position and it should be fine. I can't believe Kingwa was suggesting this is an issue with dirty power from the mains lol... What a load of manure.
b) they don't note anything about this being a problem or how to fix it on the 10ES or WM pages.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #1,000 of 2,860

Quote:
it really a) doesn't get stuck between 2 relays. The problem is that you get weird noises that travel between channel (hiss and hum) on almost all volume pot positions, even when you hear it click into a position and it should be fine. I can't believe Kingwa was suggesting this is an issue with dirty power from the mains lol... What a load of manure.
b) they don't note anything about this being a problem or how to fix it on the 10ES or WM pages.

I think Kingwa is a bit too obsessed with minor/frequent upgrades of this products. One shall never see so much frequent updates on the same product models from other manufacturers. It is not entirely true that other manufacturers are less innovative, but it could be the other manufacturers are spending more time on testing before actual mass production.

May be Kingwa should spend more time in his role of a company chairman / production director than in the role of audio circuit designer.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,001 of 2,860

You really are unfortunate. I start hearing soft distant noise at 19/23 on the stepped attenuator of my Roc (using 107 dB SPL earbuds; source on pause). In normal usage I hoover around 8/23 - 10/23 (phone depending), while for loudest headbanging sessions I never go over 16/23 with HE-5 (86 dB SPL).

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,003 of 2,860
I have run into this here and there as well, and moving the volume slightly lower or higher resolves it. It does seem to get "stuck" so to speak regardless of the technical issues at play.

Quote:
Move the volume up or down slightly. It sometimes gets stuck between two relays as they note on their product page.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,004 of 2,860
I have run into this here and there as well, and moving the volume slightly lower or higher resolves it. It does seem to get "stuck" so to speak regardless of the technical issues at play.

I guess the problem me or drez had is different then. Moving the vol pot slightly made no difference.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #1,005 of 2,860
Quote:
I guess the problem me or drez had is different then. Moving the vol pot slightly made no difference.

Yeah. The problem we're talking about is when the volume gets stuck between two relays and you hear the NFB-10 itself clicking between them. Your problem definitely sounds like a defective unit and it's unfortunate that Audio-GD is being difficult about it with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back