Audio-gd NFB-10
Nov 1, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #92 of 2,860

Quote:
hey guys, there are now 2 versions of NFB10 coming out, the WM & ES.....
dt880smile.png

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB10XLR/NFB10EN.htm 

Now this NFB-10 is getting more interesting by the day. But I feel a serious case of 'decision stress' coming up.

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #93 of 2,860

Quote:
The counterfeit Oyaide plugs I bought from an online store were, I have to say, the most horrid quality plugs I've ever encountered.  Just get hospital grade plugs if you want something more beefy.

I bought some fake Oyaide plugs, Gold + Rhodium, and the sound quality difference from Hospital Grade in my DIY power cord was so big that I bought another set to see if they can improve on my other power cable that uses Furutech FI-11 Gold.

I think it may be worth for anyone doing power cables, to try these plugs, they are cheap, less than US$ 20.00.

Sorry people for the Off Topic.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #94 of 2,860
There are a lot of fake ones out there. Some of the ones I've seen seemed very well-made, which were on the first Audio-gd power cables I received. The ones I ended up buying as parts were horrid.  I have genuine fancy-metal Oyaide plugs on a couple of cables I DIY'ed and there is, at least, a tonal difference, much to my pleasure. Very nice effect, very horrid value.  

Anyhow...interesting that there are now two version of the NFB-10.  I'm going to wait a couple of weeks with my NFB-11 switched on then compare the sound to the Sparrow, which now has the 8741 in it.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #95 of 2,860
OK, based on components alone, since no one has heard the units.

I'm testing the Matrix Mini right now, which I find to be a GREAT unit for this price.

But I must admit that after 5 days, I find it a bit on the bright side, especially for my piano recordings. A bit grainy

Can be that i am USB plugged.
Can be my set-up (Atma-Sphere S30 Mk II OTL, Montreal-based HE Nirvana spkrs)

Or can be a characteristic of the Matrix.

So my question: again, based only on the components of both units, what would be the main sonic differences with the NFB-10?

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #96 of 2,860
Hi, 

Will the NFB-10WM be of equal or higher quality than NFB-2/3 besides of his balanced output...

In combination with Meier Concerto and Denon D7000, what should I get:
- NFB-2/3...
- NFB-10WM and use as Dac only... or getting my Denon and HD600 balanced and forget about the Concerto, which I can't believe...
- or getting NFB-10ES (with balanced Headphones or used with Concerto)...

Which solution do you think will be superior and why?

Thanks 
L3000.gif

Dan

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #97 of 2,860

Quote:
Anyhow...interesting that there are now two version of the NFB-10.  I'm going to wait a couple of weeks with my NFB-11 switched on then compare the sound to the Sparrow, which now has the 8741 in it.

I looking forward to your comments on this comparison. It will be a great opportunity to compare the ES9018 and the WM8741 under similar designed analog/power supply conditions.
For me the NFB-10 is almost the perfect option. Now I need to decide if I will go the Sabre or Wolfson route.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #98 of 2,860

Quote:
I looking forward to your comments on this comparison. It will be a great opportunity to compare the ES9018 and the WM8741 under similar designed analog/power supply conditions.
For me the NFB-10 is almost the perfect option. Now I need to decide if I will go the Sabre or Wolfson route.

I think they are different. There is smd decoupling in the nfb-11, film type in sparrow. And there is 2 discrete power phases for the analogue output for nfb-11, but no such thing in the sparrow.
I wouldnt look on the transformer size, or extreme supersize me capacitors before the regulators, or the color on those.

A lot of equipment looks like its designed by colourfull caps.

The comparison of the two versions of nfb-10 is very interesting, unfortunately they changed the analogue output slightly. I would have preferred a controlled blindtest with only different dacs
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #99 of 2,860
Ok I could not wait anymore and ordered NFB-10WM with DIR9001/96K version 
L3000.gif

I will use the RCA fixed output to my Meier Concerto combined with D7000

Blanced output (variable, if needed) will feed my balanced Emitter Exclusive to my Tannoy-speakers (DC10T)

Last but not least, I will recable my Sennheiser HD600 so that I could use it with the balanced headphone-out of the NFB-10WM

What do you think?

I hope I made the right choice getting the Wolfson WM8741 Version, instead of the 9018ess Sabre, as I mostly listen to Rock/Pop/Heavy-musicstyles, where I prefer a more forgiving soundsignature or musical flavor as Kingwa would say and I think having read, that the Wolfsons create a larger and deeper soundstage, than Sabre-Dacs. Owners of the Meier Stagedac, using WM8741, reported if my memory is intact, of a huge soundstage out of the head...

Looking forward receiving this "terrific" all-in-one solution. How long did shipment take for european customers?

Cheers, 
atsmile.gif

Dan

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #100 of 2,860

Quote:
Ok I could not wait anymore and ordered NFB-10WM with DIR9001/96K version 
L3000.gif

I will use the RCA fixed output to my Meier Concerto combined with D7000

Blanced output (variable, if needed) will feed my balanced Emitter Exclusive to my Tannoy-speakers (DC10T)

Last but not least, I will recable my Sennheiser HD600 so that I could use it with the balanced headphone-out of the NFB-10WM

What do you think?

I hope I made the right choice getting the Wolfson WM8741 Version, instead of the 9018ess Sabre, as I mostly listen to Rock/Pop/Heavy-musicstyles, where I prefer a more forgiving soundsignature or musical flavor as Kingwa would say and I think having read, that the Wolfsons create a larger and deeper soundstage, than Sabre-Dacs. Owners of the Meier Stagedac, using WM8741, reported if my memory is intact, of a huge soundstage out of the head...

Looking forward receiving this "terrific" all-in-one solution. How long did shipment take for european customers?

Cheers, 
atsmile.gif

Dan

How about getting your D7000 balanced and trying it on the NFB-10WM? By this http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm you can keep the SE plug.

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #101 of 2,860
D7000 balanced (HD650 as well) are really nice- I had both balanced from my Phoenix. Just reterminate, no need for a new cable and it's very easy- follow Kingwa's instructions on the website, he even has the D5000 cables as an example. He also has a kit for this (unless you have solder and parts already), just need a soldering iron.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #102 of 2,860
Would the re-terminating cable procedure be easy enough for someone like me with zero soldering experience? I placed an order for audio-gd's mod kit along with the NFB-10. I am contemplating whether I should do it myself as the procedure looks straightforward enough but I don't want to screw anything up. BTW, I'd be happy to pay anyone here for this service if you happen to be in Michigan area and would like to earn some quick cash 
smile.gif

Quote:
D7000 balanced (HD650 as well) are really nice- I had both balanced from my Phoenix. Just reterminate, no need for a new cable and it's very easy- follow Kingwa's instructions on the website, he even has the D5000 cables as an example. He also has a kit for this (unless you have solder and parts already), just need a soldering iron.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #103 of 2,860
Yes, very easy- read up on soldering techniques and you'll be fine.
Links:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496799/soldering-your-own-cable
From Les: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/431493/balanced-xlr-conversion-howto-grado-gs1000 - more wires in the Grado but same principals apply.

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #104 of 2,860
Check if there aren't some soldering tutorial videos on Youtube too. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #105 of 2,860
Does anyone think that NFB-10 and Little Dot Dac_1 + MKVII+ Amp combo are comparable in performance? They both are around the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back