Audio-GD NFB-1.32
Mar 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #61 of 166
You could see if pasting the device info for your 1.32 from the drivers  ini file your using now, into the 1.22 drivers ini file and see if you can get it to install that way.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #62 of 166
I own and use the NFB-1.32 dac. It sounds great but have been having no luck with it using Jplay via USB.
I have a Valab NOS, Beresford and a friend is letting me try his MHDT Havana and they play perfectly with Jplay.
Any help would really be appreciated. I am using Jriver/Jplay in my 64 bit computer.
Is anyone out there using Jplay with success with the NFB-1.32 and envy driver?

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 166
Quote:
I ordered the Concero and own the NFB-27. By extrapolation I might give some (pseudo) inputs on the Concero vs NFB-1 when I receive it.

The NFB-1 should have a similar voicing to the NFB-27. Its technicalities should be on par with the Reference 5.32 (I used to own), which in turn, is very similar to the Metrum Quad (I still own and will be using the Concero with).

I know, this sounds a bit far-fetched 
biggrin.gif

Any impressions of the quad vs the NFB-1?

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #64 of 166
Quote:

Any impressions of the quad vs the NFB-1?

The NFB-27 is technically the better DAC, no doubt. It has better imaging (more focused), more extension to both ends, very tight bass, clean & clear treble (never harsh) and a lively sound.
Yet, I prefer the Quad to it. The Metrum has some magic in the sound that I cannot explain but music flows like crystal water when the NFB-27 always wants to show you something in the music.

The Quad is the only DAC with which I can relax when listening to music. With the other DACs, I sometimes feel hard pressed and it's not the best experience.
That's strange, the Reference 5.32 and NFB-27 both gave me this "non-relaxing experience". They are plugged with cheap AC chords on a cheap power strip. I'm no cable believer but I'm starting to questioning this because this is the only thing I can think of that might explain why the experience is not optimal.

Technically, the NFB-1 should be more in the league of the Quad. In this case, I would recommend the latter in a heart beat! Add a DI-V3 and you're good to go! 

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #65 of 166
Quote:

The NFB-27 is technically the better DAC, no doubt. It has better imaging (more focused), more extension to both ends, very tight bass, clean & clear treble (never harsh) and a lively sound.
Yet, I prefer the Quad to it. The Metrum has some magic in the sound that I cannot explain but music flows like crystal water when the NFB-27 always wants to show you something in the music.

The Quad is the only DAC with which I can relax when listening to music. With the other DACs, I sometimes feel hard pressed and it's not the best experience.
That's strange, the Reference 5.32 and NFB-27 both gave me this "non-relaxing experience". They are plugged with cheap AC chords on a cheap power strip. I'm no cable believer but I'm starting to questioning this because this is the only thing I can think of that might explain why the experience is not optimal.

Technically, the NFB-1 should be more in the league of the Quad. In this case, I would recommend the latter in a heart beat! Add a DI-V3 and you're good to go! 

Hmm, its that metrum magic that makes me want to hear one of those dacs so bad, alot of people talk about it. Thanks for the info!

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #66 of 166
Quote:
Hmm, its that metrum magic that makes me want to hear one of those dacs so bad, alot of people talk about it. Thanks for the info!

The Metrum DACs need a very good source to give their best. The difference between Squeezebox Touch's coax output and the Stello U3 was, really, night and day.

The Audio-GD DI-V3 should be even better for much cheaper (but ugly :D). For some reason it disappeared from their website recently, though.

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #67 of 166
Quote:

The Metrum DACs need a very good source to give their best. The difference between Squeezebox Touch's coax output and the Stello U3 was, really, night and day.

The Audio-GD DI-V3 should be even better for much cheaper (but ugly :D). For some reason it disappeared from their website recently, though.

Yeah i was gonna pair it with the DI-V3 actually if i got one. And yeah it was gone for a while, but i think its back now, down at the bottom under "Sources"

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #68 of 166
Hi,
I'm about to  buy a gd-audio dac. It will be between the NFB 1.32 and the NFB 7.32. 
Could someone explain to me what you get for that extra cost? Would the NFB 7.32 be worth that extra cost?
Thanks

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #69 of 166
Quote:
Hi,
I'm about to  buy a gd-audio dac. It will be between the NFB 1.32 and the NFB 7.32. 
Could someone explain to me what you get for that extra cost? Would the NFB 7.32 be worth that extra cost?
Thanks

Nfb7.32 is worth it if you are able to stretch your budget.
save yourself from further upgrades in the long run, and improvements over the 1.32 in abundance in terms sonics.
of cos it will also depends on what equipments you are pairing it with to justify the improvements.

Mar 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #70 of 166
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I'm totaly new to using a dedicated dac and hi rez music, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. I don't understand the specs of different dacs and
not sure what to look out for. I can see that the NFB 7.32 has 3 transformers and 15 groups of class A parallel connection, but how this makes it an improvement over the NFB 1.32
I'm not sure of yet. I would like to add a music streamer and hoping gd-audio will bring one out soon, maybe add a gd-audio amp later on.
Is my system good enough for a NFB 7.32, I'm not sure. The one thing that I will keep in my system are my speakers. Open Baffle. OBL-11. Amp is Sony N80ES mrk3 200w which I'm happy with for now.
Thanks again.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #71 of 166
In layman terms, Clean power in audio is used to great effect to produce great sonics. In audio gd case, the different trafos are used to power different groups of digital and analog circuits in the dacs separately. Hence, better sonics.
How resolving your current system is to changes will largely depend on your own ears. Since you will be keeping your speakers, go on out and trial some dacs and streamers to see if you like them. Especially 1.32 or 7.32 are using sabre es9018. Do you like its characteristics ?

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #72 of 166
Hi,
Yes I do like the characteristics and I have also read that the sabre es9018 is great when there is a volume control incoporated into the dac.. I want to cut the pre amp out and go direct to amp.
You are right about buying once, and thats causing me to lean toward the NFB-7.32.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #73 of 166
I wanted to coment something on the NFB 1.32. The usb conectors don't go in correctly, it fits in loosely and if the cable is moved you get a BSOD, anyone had this problem? Maybe Kingwa would like making them fit tighter.

May 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #75 of 166
I wanted to coment something on the NFB 1.32. The usb conectors don't go in correctly, it fits in loosely and if the cable is moved you get a BSOD, anyone had this problem? Maybe Kingwa would like making them fit tighter.

I have had three audio-gd's. They all use the same usb input connector. This connector is on the loose end in terms fitness. But it does not interrupt or prevent a fine connection. I also would like it tight fit to have a sense of security.

bsod in my limited experience is more likely relevant to a bad driver. For instance, of the three audio-gd's, I had bsod three times with te8022, but not one time with te7022 or usb32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back