Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Oct 19, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #226 of 286
Hi all, 

I have now been testing the new NOS-firmware. My preference is still the NOS-2 mode, PLL1 and Asynchronous.mode 2. All three modes sounds very good but it is something I feel with mode 2. (.. in my setup)

The sound is fantastic. I listen to all kind of music material in a varity of qualities ...and the most fantastic part is that all sounds good now even if it is only Mp3-format on the lowest quality material.

At the sam time my highest quality material sounds real "high end". It is both true and forgiving at the same time(!)

This is exactly what I have been searching/trying to achieve through the years. ...That the equipment should have the ability to make a pleasure to listen to anything or everything..

I think Kingwa has "nailed it" so to say. He has solved the equation to make the 1704 NOS-dac's detailed, relaxed and a pure joy to live with.

Thank You Kingwa!

/Jan

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #227 of 286
  Hi all, 

I have now been testing the new NOS-firmware. My preference is still the NOS-2 mode, PLL1 and Asynchronous.mode 2. All three modes sounds very good but it is something I feel with mode 2. (.. in my setup)

The sound is fantastic. I listen to all kind of music material in a varity of qualities ...and the most fantastic part is that all sounds good now even if it is only Mp3-format on the lowest quality material.

At the sam time my highest quality material sounds real "high end". It is both true and forgiving at the same time(!)

This is exactly what I have been searching/trying to achieve through the years. ...That the equipment should have the ability to make a pleasure to listen to anything or everything..

I think Kingwa has "nailed it" so to say. He has solved the equation to make the 1704 NOS-dac's detailed, relaxed and a pure joy to live with.

Thank You Kingwa!

/Jan

Looks like I was not imagining things low quality MP3 does sound really good after the upgrade

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #228 of 286
  Hi all, 

Thank You Kingwa!

/Jan

Same here - except I like NOS Mode 1 much more - NOS Mode 2 is clearly less good. Wondering who is right :wink:

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #229 of 286

Same here - except I like NOS Mode 1 much more - NOS Mode 2 is clearly less good. Wondering who is right :wink:

You are right! - mode 1 is clearly the winner ... :)
....just joking of course....
In my setup the "micro dynamics" in mode 1 are more well defined... and mode 1 has a more analog feeling,
but I think with different speakers I could see mode 2 being preferred...
It is great to have these options available, it makes the investment in the Audio-GD DAC's (and similar) seem like money well spent without any hint of  "buyers remorse".

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #230 of 286

Yeah... It's hard to take a "world record" in sport based on judgement and different judges.

Good for You to like the mode 1 the most... in Your context. Please enjoy.

/Jan

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #231 of 286
It is great to have these options available, it makes the investment in the Audio-GD DAC's (and similar) seem like money well spent without any hint of  "buyers remorse".

100% Agree - I did not have the intention to start a debate which configuration sounds better. There are a lot of reasons why one would prefer one above the other.  It's just a very, very good sounding DAC which you can tune and tweak a little bit without compromising on sound quality: Well done Audio-GD!

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #232 of 286
  Looks like I was not imagining things low quality MP3 does sound really good after the upgrade

Hi Folks!
Thanks for the impressions of the new NOS modes..
Did anyone have any trouble with the firmware upgrade or the instructions at the Audio-GD website?
I have never performed such an operation, so a little worried I will brick by DAC.... so many thanks in advance for any advice..

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #233 of 286
I suggest read the instruction a couple of times to make sure you know what to do. It is straight forward. Make sure you do power up and power down sequence as instructed

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #234 of 286
i had problem with the new nos7 firmware.
after update (succes) i dont have any sound on the right channel
so i change to the previous frimware before, the sound come back., is there something wrong
do i have to pull all the jumper before upgrading?
sound strange

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #235 of 286
I don't have any problem during the upgrating of the firmware V 2. All the things go smoothly according to the instructions of AGD. What I wanna input is that it sounds that the new firmware V 2 is not so good as old one V1. I reverted to V1 from the new firmware V2 after one week.

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #236 of 286
what version of altera quartus you using for the update
iam using the 12.1 version. i saw the newest one is 16
will try a newer version later
very strange the firmware update is success but no sound from my right channel speaker only left

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #237 of 286
  i had problem with the new nos7 firmware.
after update (succes) i dont have any sound on the right channel
so i change to the previous frimware before, the sound come back., is there something wrong
do i have to pull all the jumper before upgrading?
sound strange

Send email to me, inform the series number let me check and send the firmware to you.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #239 of 286

Best for xo,and USB board.no need choke.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #240 of 286
What board is it? Any links?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back