Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Oct 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #241 of 286
Search Taobao : Lt 3042 amanero 2016

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #242 of 286
  what version of altera quartus you using for the update
iam using the 12.1 version. i saw the newest one is 16
will try a newer version later
very strange the firmware update is success but no sound from my right channel speaker only lef

I think Quartus 16 lacks support for the Cyclone II of the DSP-1. Best stick to version 12.1 of Quartus as per Audio-gd website? Has anyone tried other Quatrus versions?

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #243 of 286
I had try the Quartus 13.1 , 14 but had not try the Quartus 16, because the 12.1 is the highest verison can support Cyclone II so I stay on the 12.1.
I guess even the 16 can't support the Cyclone II design but can download the jic file to the EPCS .

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #245 of 286
With quartus 16 upgraded the nos 7 yesterday.Better details overall.
But the soundstage not wider,almost slimmer.

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #248 of 286
I'm use 8x oversampling-no jumpers(right???)
Sound almost  Perfect (my taste)
lower oversampling can`t give more wider soundstage.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #249 of 286
I suggest read the instruction a couple of times to make sure you know what to do. It is straight forward. Make sure you do power up and power down sequence as instructed

Thanks again to everyone... I just did the firmware upgrade, worked perfectly, and as you mention, it is really good to read the instructions carefully.
For example the reference to the "outshoot" on the USB Blaster connector. I would normally think this protrusion as a "key", so at first I (ignorantly) ignored the reference to "outshoot".. and then when time came to locate the proper direction to install the cable, finally got the idea...

Anyway - Audio-GD did a nice job on the instructions... all the while I was doing this, I am thinking to myself they really did not need go through all the effort to update the firmware to again offer a potential upgrade for basically no cost.. a very happy Audio-GD customer here ! 

.... on to the listening...

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #250 of 286
I had a couple days now with the DSP V2 software installed on my NOS7.

Here are some observations from during my preliminary auditions for setting the best NOS mode to match my system and preferences.

My current system is listed in my profile. Basically it is a LPS/fanless computer via tweaked USB to a Tanly DDC via HDMI i2s to the NOS 7, then to M1 pre and M3 amp. This is a speaker-only system using Mark and Daniel Ruby monitors w/extra omni-directional tweeters. The speakers were reviewed here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/markdaniel3/ruby.html

Music for this was pop and prog-rock, 16/44.1 and 24/96 .wav files.

With the old V1 software, I was first using NOS1 mode, which I found slightly warm, great attack/dynamics, a smaller soundstage with good depth but not much width. The V1 NOS1 had a unique capability for separating the elements in the sound field with a rather blackish background/bubble surrounding each element. Eventually I found the smallish soundstage was not to my liking for my music, so I then changed to using no DSP at all, that is with all jumpers off (even the BYPASS). This resulted in a nice analog style sound with normally large soundstage, however at times the music seemed a little phasy, with little leading-edge attack.

I tried all 3 NOS modes of the new firmware.

I eventually selected NOS mode 1 (see image below - using jumpers on IPS0 and IPS1) and also using the smoother “Sound flavor selection” with an additional jumper on ATT1. This provides a wide and deep soundstage, good attack and dynamics, deep/tight bass, neutral mids and highs, and realistic timbre (as well as I can perceive for those instruments that I recognize as natural).

The V2 NOS1 does not have the “black background/bubble” around the elements like I found on V1 NOS1. However, the new V2 NOS 1 along with using the smoother “Sound flavor selection” is absolutely the best sound quality I have ever heard in my system.. song-after-song it’s just lot of smiles.. fantastic musical presentations with an overall balanced and natural tone, good soundstage size with no holes, and great micro-dynamics and attack when appropriate. My guess is that folks who were using V1 NOS 2 mode will possibly find V2 NOS 1 mode now with a similar sized sound stage, but with more detail and more neutral/natural timbre, and also better micro-dynamics and overall cohesiveness.

I just could not be happier with this DAC (no more DAC shopping for me..) and a big thanks to Audio-GD for making the extra effort to provide these additional DSP options.

Note that after my first round of tests with the new firmware, I thought that the V2 NOS1 mode was perfect (no jumpers except on BYPASS), but after more listening I found it was a little bright/harsh on some occasions (I am pretty sure my speakers have a peak around 10k, so I always need work around that). But with the addition of the smoother “Sound flavor selection” jumper - and using the first option NOS1 mode (jumpers on IPS0 and IPS1 – not sure if that makes any difference from IPS0 and IPS1 with no jumpers), the overly bright moments are now gone. The energy across the audible range is well balanced with tight/deep bass and extended detailed highs without getting harsh or hash-y.

I found V2 Mode 2 less cohesive than V2 Mode 1 with less density in the interior of the soundstage, and with a less defined bass. V2 NOS Mode 2 was more extended in the highs, but with my treble-y speakers that did not work at all.

V2 mode 3 was somewhat similar to V2 mode 1, but Mode 3 had a little more overall high-end energy, stronger attack and micro-dynamics, a slightly larger sound-stage, but also some phasy-ness present. (V2 NOS mode 1 was more solid and cohesive).

OK, as always – this was just in my system, to my music, and my listening preferences.. Other systems will probably react very differently but maybe this can offer a point of reference for someone with similar stuff.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #252 of 286
Hi All,

I have an old Ref 5.32 upgraded to a marvelous NOS 5 with Amanero USB board.

I'm going to upgrade to DSP v2 firmware today. I have a question: following the instructions for upgrade and arriving to the final item 11. where a modification is suggested for improved performance for DAC with Amanero board. Downloading the instructions file I can only see directions dor Dac-19, M7 and M11 and none seems to align with my (old) Ref 5. I'm kind of confused with what to do regarding this modification, can anyone help me please?

Many thanks

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #253 of 286

Nov 4, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #254 of 286

Motberg give me Intona ,and Singxer.5V superpower also finished.So sd trans Vs Pc battle this weekend!

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #255 of 286
HI, I own NOS19 and so far I am happy with older version of firmware / not convinced that I get some advantage with the new version. Could someone tell me whether the update is worth and a big step up? Thank you..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back