Audio-gd New C-2 Owners unite [DAC-19 DSP ADDED 22/06/2010]
May 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #31 of 53

Quote:
Pricklely Peete, I notice you own the LD MK lll, how would you describe it in comparison to the Audio-GD C-2C?

My LD MKIII has been DIY modified rather extensively so the comparison won't resemble a stock vs stock opinion. My LD MKIII when used with cans over 100 ohms in impedance is quite lively and yet not nearly as detailed or refined (even with the mods I performed which elevated the MKIII by a fair margin) as the C-2C (with stepped vol pot). The C-2C has a slight tube like quality to it but has the power and grip of a well designed SS amp controlling the headphone drivers like an iron fist. The sound signature of the C-2C is a little bit warm with a thicker bottom end than the MK III (despite using 6H30pi-DR power tubes). All in all the MK III for it's price is not a bad entry level tube amp with either amp rewarding you with a decent experience. I feel the C-2C scales better with source improvements whereas the MK III hits a wall much sooner.

Also.......

The MK III is average in terms of power output levels with the C-2C almost putting out 10X more (depending on the impedance of the load) giving the C-2C a ton of clean dynamic headroom (an important factor in keeping transient peaks from compression artifacts even at moderate vol levels). I listen to the FUN/C-2C combo most of the time when I'm on the computer and sub the Mk III in every once in a while to taste it's fruit so to speak. I enjoy both amps, however you will never confuse the two in a blind test. The C-2C is far more sophisticated in it's overall presentation than the MK III and so it should be IMO because it's roughly 40% more in price (vs the stock trim MK III). One thing I need to mention about the Mk III, the stock driver tubes in the MK III must be replaced if you expect to get anywhere near it's true potential. Sure the GE 6AK5's are alright but better low cost NOS tubes make a world of difference with this little amp. I use Sylvania black plate round getter (WA/WB mil spec) with the 6H30Pi-DR's. I hope that helped you out some
smile.gif

Peete.

May 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #32 of 53
Thanks for your detailed response and information. "power & grip" is exactly what i find missing from the LD MK lll and i can tell my Denon D2000s are not being challenged/playing to their full potential. You answered my question, thank you!

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #33 of 53
Well, my C2 with "Earth" opamps is on order :)

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #34 of 53
My C2 arrived last night from China in pristine condition. Ran it in for about an hour to warm up. Played a few tracks with the stock opamps. Open, clear, powerful. A bit dry. Transparent though. Got impatient. Cracked the top. Installed the Earth opamps in 5 minutes. Ran it in for 2 hours with the Ayre burn in disc on brown noise on repeat at 50% volume on full gain on my 30 year old pioneer phones. Threw in Dire Straits On Every Street. Sound got more lush. More slam. More gorgeous. More Sweet. A smidge darker. Much more preferable. Maybe even more transparent. Got my heart rate up just listening to it. SOUNDS PHENOMENAL. Made my 701's sings. Loved it Pics to follow.

Jun 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #35 of 53

Quote:
My C2 arrived last night from China in pristine condition. Ran it in for about an hour to warm up. Played a few tracks with the stock opamps. Open, clear, powerful. A bit dry. Transparent though. Got impatient. Cracked the top. Installed the Earth opamps in 5 minutes. Ran it in for 2 hours with the Ayre burn in disc on brown noise on repeat at 50% volume on full gain on my 30 year old pioneer phones. Threw in Dire Straits On Every Street. Sound got more lush. More slam. More gorgeous. More Sweet. A smidge darker. Much more preferable. Maybe even more transparent. Got my heart rate up just listening to it. SOUNDS PHENOMENAL. Made my 701's sings. Loved it Pics to follow.

My congratulations on the purchase,I did find the stock opamps a little dry and grains at times.
I find the amp exceptional with my K701's, what source would you be using.

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #36 of 53
NAD c565BEE cd player and oppo bdp-83

Jun 6, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #37 of 53

Quote:

Here's a link to the whole rig for those interested:
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=amp74&folderid=3657

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #39 of 53
Amp74, i ordered my C2 with the EARTH opamp option too, do you know if that means my amp will ship with them already installed or will it come with the stock ones and the EARTH set separately for me to swap?

Quote:

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #40 of 53
i wondered the same thing. the amp comes shipped with the stock opa627s installed and the earth opamps in their own box inside the larger box. i listened for a few minutes with the stock opamps to get my bearings on the stock sound. i told myself to give it some time to run in a bit before making any rash decisions but swapping opamps is so simple i could not resist. the stock opamps were just as had been described earlier. i much prefer the earth opamps.

Jun 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #41 of 53
Perfect, thanks! I will probably end up doing the same thing when i get mine next week :)

Quote:
i wondered the same thing. the amp comes shipped with the stock opa627s installed and the earth opamps in their own box inside the larger box. i listened for a few minutes with the stock opamps to get my bearings on the stock sound. i told myself to give it some time to run in a bit before making any rash decisions but swapping opamps is so simple i could not resist. the stock opamps were just as had been described earlier. i much prefer the earth opamps.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #42 of 53
[size=small]I would put this firstly that I didn’t spend muc[/size][size=small]h[/size][size=small] time listening last night.[/size]
[size=small]The first thing I did when I brought the package home was to slowly unpack it.[/size]
[size=small]I enjoyed every moment of that.[/size]
[size=small]I should tell you, audio-gd packed it very professionally, in fact the packaging was better then what I received with my C-2[/size][size=small], [/size][size=small]nice[/size][size=small] to see a company improve on small aspects such as packaging.[/size]

[size=small][/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]The second task was to quickly set it [/size][size=small]up,[/size][size=small] I[/size][size=small] had ordered some Mike Morrow RCA cables that had been sitting in my drawer for about a month waiting patiently for the DAC-19 to arrive, so there began the setup.[/size]
[size=small]At first I couldn’t figure out how the ACSS cables were to be plugged, [/size][size=small]soon  I[/size][size=small] realised that they had numeric indents  and followed the sequential order, noticed that the cable popped in very nicely.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]Many members have said before that they didn’t like the form of the ACSS cable, but I found them to be very sturdy and robust as you can see from the pictures.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]Let’s get down now to some listening impressions. Mind you I kept the DAC-19 and the C-2 turned on for about an hour while I enjoyed dinner with my wife. Then came the listening.[/size]

[size=small][/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]The first track I turned was Eva [/size][size=small]Casidy[/size][size=small]- Fields of [/size][size=small]Gold,[/size][size=small] I did not concentrate much on the track as I was very excited. But one thing that quickly grabbed my attentions was the voice sounding more human, I know member used to always say that [/size][size=small]“I[/size][size=small] hate when music sounds digital[/size][size=small], artificial[/size][size=small], and unhuman[/size][size=small]”[/size]
[size=small]I used to always wonder what that [/size][size=small]meant,[/size][size=small] I feel I have finally understood it.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]I was playing around with the switches and realised that both the DAC and the amp should be set on ACSS in order to get the ACSS to work, same rule applies on the RCA, gets a little confusing on the C-2 as the inputs don’t have any names, only 1,2,3.[/size]

[size=small][/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]The next song I listened to was Hotel California by Eagles, the claps at the start had more life to them, the guitar solo at the start just before the beat never grabbed my attention, I always wondered why even though there were people clapping after the solo, I realised it was an important part of the song but never felt it-if you know what I mean.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]This was the first time I felt [/size][size=small]it[/size][size=small],I[/size][size=small] could hear the guitarist clicking the strings and it sounded so melodious, I don’t have words to explain it.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]

[size=small][/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]In the meantime my wife came around to check on my new [/size][size=small]DAC,[/size][size=small] obviously she wasn’t much interested, she did hear a little and said-I feel it sounds the same as before.[/size]
[size=small]This statement is important because we have to realise, that the DAC will only bring out the finer details which can be heard when you concentrate, casual listening I would recommend get a cheap $300.00 DAC and being done with it.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]The final track that I want to list here was a David [/size][size=small]Chesky[/size][size=small]  [/size][size=small]Record, I[/size][size=small] don’t remember the name of the song, some south-american female vocal which also had some hand pumped organ, the organ sounded so airy and I could almost feel it being there, was very live.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]The reason I have mentioned these [/size][size=small]traits[/size][size=small] and have gone against a usual review of stating the timbre[/size][size=small],dynamics,detail[/size][size=small] and so [/size][size=small]on, is[/size][size=small] because this is what I experienced compared to my usual listening sessions.[/size]
[size=small]I would recommend you to try these tracks-could get you the name of the Davis [/size][size=small]Chesky[/size][size=small] track if you are interested[/size][size=small].[/size]
[size=small]See if your experiences are similar to mine.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]Thanks for reading my first impression.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #43 of 53
lookin' good. I'm partially interested in the DAC-19, but it's a fair bit over my price point at the moment; that and I'm more or less running out of my laptop.

thanks for the review though :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #44 of 53
I was looking at the volume control position of "kunalraiker", "Bizong" and "amp74" and wondering if the amp is really a lot less powerful than the compass (its obviously less powerful since its pure class A and thus require more power consummation) or are you listening at insane live volume ? Especially since kunalraiker is a using a low sensitivity grado !

Personally on my compass i never get past 8 o'clock on low gain with my k601 or with the KRK set at -6db (9 o'clock on movies), careful with your precious hearing.
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back