Audio-GD, MilletMax, DACs and System confusion
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GreyArea

100+ Head-Fier
OK,

I'm currently using a system I borrowed off a friend a while ago:

Laptop -> Beresford 7510 -> LittleDot Mk V ->HD600s

I've been enjoying the setup. Not sure about the synergy between DAC and Amp but hey, it's not my system.
Now, he wants it back so I need to replace it.
I'm not keen on going the same route, partly because I don't fully agree with Beresford's sales pitching methods, partly because I fancy a change, something new.

So... I decided I wanted to build a DIY amp. The Millet miniMax is the only complete kit I could find for sale online and it seems to have good reviews so I've decided to purchase one.
But... I still need a DAC.
Also... I have a nice Hifi system that could do with the DAC connection. I'd decided it'd be a good idea to buy something with a better pre-amp than my separates amp to improve the sound of that setup. (is this a bad idea?)

Before I decided on building a DIY amp, I'd had my mind set on an Audio-gd FUN. However, if I'm only going to use the DAC and pre-amp sections, it seems a waste to go that route now.
I'm not sure if any of their DACs have pre-amps or line-outs without headphone amps. Maybe I'm missing the point?

SO, I could buy a FUN to feed the miniMax OR, I could buy a DAC with no headphone amp which might be better quality OR, I could save money buying a cheaper DAC like a musiland monitor and spend the money on new cans.
I could even ditch the DIY idea if somebody gives me a good enough reason to.

What would you do?

All suggestions, comments welcome... even if you abuse me for starting another nooby "what should I buy" thread (it saves me from bumping :D)

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 8
I would recommend going without a kit, parts lists are readily available for every DIY amp, it doesn't take long to get parts (plus you make your own choices on which you want, not just working off a generic list).

I like the Millett MiniMax, but I wouldn't say it's an easy first project.

99.9% of the time, headphone amp = pre-amp.  To rephrase, almost all decent headphone amps make wonderful preamps.

For overall recommendation, go the DIY route and have some fun with it. :)

Aug 17, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Cheers.
The reason I was going with a complete kit is because I don't trust myself with the casework. I've done a fair bit of soldering and PCB work so I don't have a problem with that.
Also, it's expensive and hard to ship from the US to UK.

Would you suggest a DIY DAC like the gamma2 then? How hard would that be for a first/second project?

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Do you know where I can get a pre-cut panel for a Gamma2?

Again, do you think it's wise to go all out and try and build both the miniMax and Gamma2 as first two diy projects? 

Maybe I should try the Starving Student first.

I could always go halfway and get MrX to build one whilst I tackle the other. Seems like a cop-out though.

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 8
amb sells pre-drilled and engraved panels for the γ2 out of his online shop.

I'm a relative DIY newbie and have recently built both a MiniMAX and γ2. I'd say both are quite doable as long as you're careful and read everything you can about each project. In fact, read it all multiple times. It helps you get more comfortable dealing with anything new to you. I also spent quite a bit of time going over tangent's tutorials and must have watched that curiousinventor soldering vid five or more times.

While I had no issues on those projects, they weren't my first two. I built a cmoyBB and Mini³ as warm ups to get used to using a soldering iron. I also ended up spending a little extra and getting myself a Hakko 936, which may have made the surface mount soldering on the γ2 easier than if I'd stuck with my $10 iron.

They're definitely two fun projects, though, so if you've got the courage I say go for it! If you have questions or run into any issues, there's lots of help to be found in the DIY forum here, as well as amb's and TomB's forums.

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Another option is to go with a TPA Buffalo II build.  You can build this as a straight DAC, or a DAC and pre-amp by adding a Mux input selector and a Volumite volume control.  You can choose from your favorite type of input, though if you want a good USB you may want to invest in a USB to SPDIF converter like the Hiface.  You can even drive most headphones directly from the DAC and it can be used fully balanced or single ended, even at the same time.  So you can start with this build first and add your amp later.

It's a fairly easy first build as the DAC board comes pre-assembled and tested, you have to build the Placid power supply boards and the analog board, either an IVY III or descrete Legato board, and wire everything up.

There are some good examples on the TPA forum section to give you ideas in the projects section.

I'm in the process of building this exact kit as my second DIY build and its going very well, with the case work taking the longest time, since I am building it from scratch.

Just another option, Buffalo's are also reported to sound great, but I have'nt heard mine yet.

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Is it suitable as a first build though? 
If you have to build the power supply, surely you have to be confident working with high voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back