Audio-GD Master 9
Nov 19, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #676 of 2,635
You mentioned the audio GD house "sound" and now I'm also looking at NFB7. Anyone have experience w/ this dac and the master 9? The Sabre dacs are incredibly detailed with great treble extension, but I am afraid the treble may be a little much for me. I am judging the sabre chip based on experience w/ nfb11 and dx90. I would say they are cold and calculating, with out of world detail, and a touch of brightness.   
Ideally I would like a master 7 + master 9 combo but the 7 is a bit out of my price range. From what I understand the 1704 chips are legendary. 

If anyone else has any recommendations please let me know. I appreciate all your input. 

I have the NFB 7 + M9+ HD 800 (Toxic Cables Silver Poison). Very nice synergy between them. Detailed, nice smooth treble, good bass (digs really deep) and very Musical. I am a tube guy & this is the most "Tube sounding" SS amp I have heard i.e. combines the best parts of tubes & SS.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #677 of 2,635
  I have the NFB 7 + M9+ HD 800 (Toxic Cables Silver Poison). Very nice synergy between them. Detailed, nice smooth treble, good bass (digs really deep) and very Musical. I am a tube guy & this is the most "Tube sounding" SS amp I have heard i.e. combines the best parts of tubes & SS.

+1

I have almost the same setup, substitute the M9 and silver poison for M6 and silver widow, superb with the HD800's as well as LCD2.2 and HE6's (both also with SW cables).

Agree with the tube reference as well, especially with regards body and timbre.

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #678 of 2,635
Alright I better chime in. Also running nfb7 and m6. Sounds great with hd800, but I do mod mine.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #680 of 2,635
Ah, finally:)  Nice write up, thanks. Just as I thought it would be with 2.3w @ 300ohm and Audio GD sound signature. From the first moment I had HD800 I wanted to wake up a best in them and to make them more direct (more AKG), less holographic (less Stax). P2 seems like a best way to do it. I'm also planning to get Electromotion's, tired them with my NAD and saw it ain't gonna work, far better with MF which was there at the dealer's place.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #681 of 2,635
  Ah, finally:)  Nice write up, thanks. Just as I thought it would be with 2.3w @ 300ohm and Audio GD sound signature. From the first moment I had HD800 I wanted to wake up a best in them and to make them more direct (more AKG), less holographic (less Stax). P2 seems like a best way to do it. I'm also planning to get Electromotion's, tired them with my NAD and saw it ain't gonna work, far better with MF which was there at the dealer's place.

Thank you, Dexon. Precision 2 is a delight with HD800. I never heard HD800 to have such bass, to sound so natural. It also tamed the treble without taking from extension and sparkle. I don't think I've ever heard any tube amp to sound like this with HD800. It's awesome with Master 9 as well with better details, transparency, dynamics, but not as emotional and tube like.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #683 of 2,635
Nice review. My advice for a speaker amp,  would have been go with M3 as you already have M9.

Thought of that. Kingwa suggested the same. However I do not have space for it at the moment and it is quite hot during summer. So I went with precision 2.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #684 of 2,635
Nice review Dan!

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #687 of 2,635
Audio GD master series users out there, I have a M7+9 Combo which I received delivery of merely a month ago. I am also a speaker person and I am upsizing my speakers to either a Dynoaudio Confidence C4 or even an Usher BE-2 (depending on whether I end up redoing my AV system). I'm having a hard time finding reviews of the Master 2. 

Anyone has any suggestions or experience with these?

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #688 of 2,635
Audio GD master series users out there, I have a M7+9 Combo which I received delivery of merely a month ago. I am also a speaker person and I am upsizing my speakers to either a Dynoaudio Confidence C4 or even an Usher BE-2 (depending on whether I end up redoing my AV system). I'm having a hard time finding reviews of the Master 2. 

Did not have a chance to demo m2 but i had a chance to try the m10+magnepan 1.7 and totally sold. Same sound sig of master series and even pairing with $50 bookshelf,it bested all totl headphones combo. Thus i guess you cant go wrong with the m2

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #689 of 2,635

I have this combo - M9+M2, am using it to drive PSB Synchrony One's. I am very happy with the sound  but then I do not have experience with any other mono block's so have nothing to compare them against. I was using a Rotel RB 1080 power amp before . The M2 beats it in every dept as expected.

Dec 5, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #690 of 2,635
Hey guys, 

I got my M9 about a week ago and I'm really enjoying it. REALLY enjoying it. Have it paired with NFB11 atm and it sounds great already. I tried it with everything I could including DX90, three CD players, 2 AV receivers, even DVD players. Makes all equipment sound better! With NFB11 M9 introduces deeper faster controlled bass, smoother treble, thicker mid and sounds cleaner more controlled overall. I can already tell some of my music that was sibiliant before simply has more air and extension without that treble harshness. This is a nice amp and I feel like Audio gd is a good company with great QC and attention to detail. Kingwa answers all my nagging questions promptly. I can't even imagine the sound quality once I pair the M9 with M7 or maybe Yggy. After that the list introduces a power amp from Audio gd to pair with some speakers! The only thing that threw me off about the M9 was the size. It is large.

Thank you for the thread and the impressions everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back