Audio-GD Master 9
Dec 10, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,441 of 2,535
Hmm, wondering if this is happen on anyone else's Master 9 amplifiers--when you have low gain and using a balanced headphone, is one channel weaker than the other? Mine balance out in volume at 20+, under that, the right channel is "stronger."

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,442 of 2,535
Hmm, wondering if this is happen on anyone else's Master 9 amplifiers--when you have low gain and using a balanced headphone, is one channel weaker than the other? Mine balance out in volume at 20+, under that, the right channel is "stronger."

Mine on low-gain, single-ended levels out at 10+, with the right channel being stronger below. Same happens using XLR-out to my active speakers.

Dec 11, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #1,443 of 2,535
Mine on low-gain, single-ended levels out at 10+, with the right channel being stronger below. Same happens using XLR-out to my active speakers.

Hmm, mine levels out a little bit higher than that, but this sounds like it's just one of those Master 9 things. Thanks for getting back to me. I should try plugging in my speakers to see what the behavior is like.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,449 of 2,535
HI, just like to ask if any of you have upgraded from NFB-1 to M9, is it night and day and worth near $1000 difference?

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,453 of 2,535
I received my Master 9 this morning, and have spent the last 4 hours listening to it. 2 hours with the Abyss Phi, 2 hours with the Focal Utopia. These are very early impressions, the kind that hit you right away, not the subtle things you notice over time. I like these impressions as it usually gives me the main idea of a piece of gear, and whether or not I will enjoy it over time or not. This amp is replacing my Wells Audio Headtrip as I wanted to downsize price wise (not physically) and move to a more neutral amp. I bought this amp used, so it has a good amount of hours on it.

The first impression off the bat is the Master 9 is big, and heavy! Build quality seems to be really good. Utilitarian and simple, but well put together. It runs fairly hot, but not overly so compared to a few other amps.

My initial thought is this amp has pretty darn good transparency and is very detailed. I’ve tried running it with my iDSD Black Label as the DAC, and my PS Audio PWD mk2, and it was very easy to pick out the differences between the two. The Master 9 also seems to be a very punchy amp, accentuating the qualities of the already punchy and dynamic Utopia and Abyss Phi.

The Master 9 does not seem veiled, or flat and boring in any way. It also doesn’t strike me as a warm amp, which is a nice change from the Wells Audio Headtrip, which is definitely a warmer amp. The treble doesn’t seem to be sibilant or harsh so far, but I need more listening time with it to really comment here.

I’m impressed and happy so far with the Master 9. I think I have achieved my goal of an amp that is cheaper than the Headtrip, but also more neutral and transparent. Between the PWDmk2 and Master 9, combined with the Abyss Phi and Utopia, I’m hearing tiny details I haven’t heard before.

I’d really like to compare this amp to the Schiit Ragnarok, as that seems to be its natural competitor. Maybe in the future I will get a chance :)

Sorry about going so far back into the thread here but I'm just wondering if you still have this amp with your Abyss Phi. And since you have experience with the original Abyss as well, how do you think it would pair with the original Abyss. Let's assume it is paired with the Black Label since I am familiar with it. Thanks.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,454 of 2,535
Sorry about going so far back into the thread here but I'm just wondering if you still have this amp with your Abyss Phi. And since you have experience with the original Abyss as well, how do you think it would pair with the original Abyss. Let's assume it is paired with the Black Label since I am familiar with it. Thanks.

I do indeed still have this amp with my Abyss Phi. I think it would pair well with the original Abyss in terms of power and ability to drive them with authority. Whether or not the sound signature would be right for you is a matter personal preference. After quite a long time now with the M9, I'm not as enthused about it as I was those first few days when I originally purchased it and made that post, but I do still enjoy it. It doesn't do anything wrong in my opinion, but it also doesn't do anything amazingly well. Its hard to explain, but it doesn't really excel in any particular area. Its just a "good" amp, that has lots of power, and will drive harder to drive headphone well.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,455 of 2,535
I do indeed still have this amp with my Abyss Phi. I think it would pair well with the original Abyss in terms of power and ability to drive them with authority. Whether or not the sound signature would be right for you is a matter personal preference. After quite a long time now with the M9, I'm not as enthused about it as I was those first few days when I originally purchased it and made that post, but I do still enjoy it. It doesn't do anything wrong in my opinion, but it also doesn't do anything amazingly well. Its hard to explain, but it doesn't really excel in any particular area. Its just a "good" amp, that has lots of power, and will drive harder to drive headphone well.

well ufospls2 do just as me : sell your master 9 and buy the HE-9 that is a much better amp that could satisfy your needs

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back