Audio-GD Master 9
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #1,427 of 2,579
thanks! that's mine :relaxed:
Hi fradoca,
I recently bought an audio-gd NOS 11. I'm disappointed by the dac part, but I must admit that the amp section is another story: Precise with very good foundation (sub + bass). Bass is very important for me. No bass no fun. That's why I love and keep my LCD2rev2 (don't like the fazor sound)
Anyway the he-9 kills my bryston bha-1 which wasn't bad. However my Weiss dac 202 is vastly better than the nos 11 dac section.
So my plan was to send back the nos 11 and buy a m9, then some comments convinced me to try the he-9.
fradoca, I think you owned both. Could tell me the subjective difference?
Also I can see that the power output on the he-9 (100 ohm: 3800MW) is slightly below the m9 (4000MW / 100 ohm). I have a good old LCD2rev2 who loves power.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,428 of 2,579
i use my LCD-X 2016 connected with a diy furutech balanced cable to the HE-9 and a heavily modified benchmark dac1
The HE-9 is better than the M9 for what regards power speed and transparency.The HE-9 is a must buy especially if you pair it with audeze cans.
If you are an audeze user as me, i advice you to check out the new Reveal Plugin by Audeze that incorporates DSP correction curves
for all the Audeze headphone Models.A plugin that can be used with players such as Audinirvana Plus,Jriver, Foobar etc...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #1,429 of 2,579
If you end up looking to purchase an HE-9 I have one for sale. The differences between the M9 an HE-9 were slight but noticeable. Better instrument separation and detail. Slightly cleaner sound as well.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #1,430 of 2,579
i use my LCD-X 2016 connected with a diy furutech balanced cable to the HE-9 and a heavily modified benchmark dac1
The HE-9 is better than the M9 for what regards power speed and transparency.The HE-9 is a must buy especially if you pair it with audeze cans.
If you are an audeze user as me, i advice you to check out the new Reveal Plugin by Audeze that incorporates DSP correction curves
for all the Audeze headphone Models.A plugin that can be used with players such as Audinirvana Plus,Jriver, Foobar etc...
Thx fradoca
More precision would be a bit too much for me but what about bass and sub?
Thx for the plugin, I tried to avoid dsp because I always found that I lost something but for some tracks eq can be necessary. But I will give it a try.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,432 of 2,579
I received my new HE-9.
Sound is better than the amp from the NOS-11. The HE-9 doesn't have the shouty mids of the NOS-11 amp.
I would say the sound is more spacious. Otherwise it's similar: Very precise, fast, effortless, dynamic, detailed, ...

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,433 of 2,579
I received my new HE-9.
Sound is better than the amp from the NOS-11. The HE-9 doesn't have the shouty mids of the NOS-11 amp.
I would say the sound is more spacious. Otherwise it's similar: Very precise, fast, effortless, dynamic, detailed, ...

How is the bass and treble of HE-9 in comparison to NOS 11 ? Is HE-9 noticeable improvement over NOS 11 in the amp section ?

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #1,434 of 2,579
How is the bass and treble of HE-9 in comparison to NOS 11 ? Is HE-9 noticeable improvement over NOS 11 in the amp section ?
Yes. Overall the sound is warmer without being less detailed. Bass/mid bass has a bit more energy. Mids and treble are smoother, as I said mids was a bit shouty on the NOS 11 amp. Subs are similar. So for me it sounds more natural and spacious.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,435 of 2,579
I'm back to it because while a had more reserved experience with the NOS-11 I have to admit that the HE-9 is just WOAW! I
Damn I never thought I would cry in front of an headphone amp ... and it's actually what i did several times...
A perfect balance between precision and musicality I never though it was possible...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #1,437 of 2,579
I'm back to it because while a had more reserved experience with the NOS-11 I have to admit that the HE-9 is just WOAW! I
Damn I never thought I would cry in front of an headphone amp ... and it's actually what i did several times...
A perfect balance between precision and musicality I never though it was possible...

These words are the best compliment you can do to what for me is one of 3 the best solid state headphone amps in the world.After 20 years of pro audio mastering,after 20 years of professional use of headphones i've found the perfect matchup with my lcd-x.The HE-9 is a wire with gain with plenty of speed power and transparency.If you feed it with a great dac
you can have a system that tops the best speakers system available today.No question about it.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,439 of 2,579
I may have a suggestion for the h9 : Massive Attack The spoils (feat. Hope Sandoval). This track at respectable level may give you a an idea of how your chain can handle sub basses.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #1,440 of 2,579
I may have a suggestion for the h9 : Massive Attack The spoils (feat. Hope Sandoval). This track at respectable level may give you a an idea of how your chain can handle sub basses.

thanks for the tip

my favourite track for evaluating the sub basses is : Leo Abrahams - Spider (Jon Hopkins Remix)

really challenging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back