Audio-GD Master 9
Mar 22, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,216 of 2,577

True the treble sparkle, liveliness and 3D etc. will depend on the DAC and the rest of one’s gear. My humble impression was in comparison to Marantz PM11 and in my system.

None of them is much better than the other IMO. Master 9 is a bit smoother, laid back, a bit more refined (class A sound, for lack of better word) and have more midrange fullness. Marantz is more vibrant, more 3D, have fuller and better defined bass, a bit clearer overall sound and with more treble sparkle. Treble sparkle is a very tricky thing, too much can make many records less pleasing to listening to. Too little sparks and it can gets a bit flat and boring sounding.

The PM 11 is an integrated amp, so just to clarify are you comparing the sound of the Marantz through the HP out or through the speaker taps (driving the HE 6).

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,217 of 2,577
My Master 9 is on a way to me, pretty exciting!

Are there any owners of Master 9 who replaced the stock feet with something else? Is it simple to just take off the stock ones? I want something more massive and gold colored to match the feet on my DAC.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,219 of 2,577
  The PM 11 is an integrated amp, so just to clarify are you comparing the sound of the Marantz through the HP out or through the speaker taps (driving the HE 6).

Speaker taps. HP out has a separate amp that doesn’t sound as good and refined as the speaker taps or the Master 9.

The volume pot is great on the PM 11, on pair with the one on 430 HA. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,220 of 2,577

My master 9 driving a STAX L700. This is one hell of an amp!

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,222 of 2,577
Can someone tell me - does Master 9 resets the volume every time you turn it off and on. I just turn it off and when I turned it back on - the volume was on 0. Is it some kind of protection for headphones?

And another question - considering stepped volume regulation, is it OK and safe to increase the volume by just turning the knob or holding the button one the remote continuously till the desired number is reached? Because increase it from 0 to 70 step be step is PITA 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,223 of 2,577
  Can someone tell me - does Master 9 resets the volume every time you turn it off and on. I just turn it off and when I turned it back on - the volume was on 0. Is it some kind of protection for headphones?

And another question - considering stepped volume regulation, is it OK and safe to increase the volume by just turning the knob or holding the button one the remote continuously till the desired number is reached? Because increase it from 0 to 70 step be step is PITA 
evil_smiley.gif

Master 9 have a “Debug” switch at the rear if you want to use the volume memory. I have never used it. I always turn down the volume all the way to protect my headphones. I instead turn up the volume by the volume knob and then fine adjust with the remote. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #1,227 of 2,577
Anyone using Master 9 as a speaker amp? Well, here we do some math

9000mW 40 ohm

45W 8 ohm (in theory)

All in pure Class A!

And:
Master 2 = 30W 8 ohm (pure Class A, max)
Master 3 = 10W 8 ohm (pure Class A, max)

I think Master 9 as a Class A 45W amp is decent. If your speakers ain't hard to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back