Audio-GD Master 9
Feb 8, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #1,186 of 2,624
REF5.32? What are you talking about? The M11's DAC section IS the Master 7.

They aren't the same. M11 = 4 chips M7 = 8 chips.

It's kind of misleading for them to say this, then:
"The Master 11 is the ultimate design of the PCM1704 chip with built in class A headphone amp / preamp .It is upgrade from Reference 10, combine from Master 7 and Master 9."

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,187 of 2,624
It's kind of misleading for them to say this, then:
"The Master 11 is the ultimate design of the PCM1704 chip with built in class A headphone amp / preamp .It is upgrade from Reference 10, combine from Master 7 and Master 9."

It combines from the M7 and M9 in that the digital section is based on the M7:
new DSP implementation - the old Reference 10.32 was based on the Reference 7. Much like the M7 is a different DAC from the old Ref 7, the M11 has the same improvements over the Reference 10.32.

Also, the amp section is based on the M9, which is tuned slightly warmer than the old Master 5/6/8 - which the Reference 10.32 is based on. It is also more powerful.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,189 of 2,624
Well, if you're looking at getting the M7 & M9, you should get the M11, since it is the two units merged into one. I've heard it sounds better than the two units seperately, which I can't confirm (but it kinda makes sense, since it is a more direct, hard-wired connection), and it costs less than buying them separately.

From where did you hear that it sounds better than the two separate units? If i recall, the M7 has 8 DAC chips, while the Master 11's DAC is moreover a "based on M7-version" with 4 chips.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,190 of 2,624

Well, if you're looking at getting the M7 & M9, you should get the M11, since it is the two units merged into one. I've heard it sounds better than the two units seperately, which I can't confirm (but it kinda makes sense, since it is a more direct, hard-wired connection), and it costs less than buying them separately.

From where did you hear that it sounds better than the two separate units? If i recall, the M7 has 8 DAC chips, while the Master 11's DAC is moreover a "based on M7-version" with 4 chips.

It was on one of the HE-6-related threads. Apparently, people here believe otherwise. I'm not going to contest that opinion, as I have only heard the Master-9 and have no further information to contribute on the matter.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,192 of 2,624

It was on one of the HE-6-related threads. Apparently, people here believe otherwise. I'm not going to contest that opinion, as I have only heard the Master-9 and have no further information to contribute on the matter.

I haven't heard either one as they are tough to come by my area, so I have to solely rely on people's reviews/impressions. I think the M11 has a great bang-for-buck value, no doubt, however, if there is any sonical difference between the two options then I'll go with whichever caters higher fidelity.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,194 of 2,624

I haven't heard either one as they are tough to come by my area, so I have to solely rely on people's reviews/impressions. I think the M11 has a great bang-for-buck value, no doubt, however, if there is any sonical difference between the two options then I'll go with whichever caters higher fidelity.

I sincerely doubt there is $1,700 worth of difference between the two (M7 & M9 vs. M11), but as I said before, I have only heard the Master-9. However, if sonic superiority is the goal, you should probably go with the step-up models, the HE-7 and HE-9.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,195 of 2,624

I sincerely doubt there is $1,700 worth of difference between the two (M7 & M9 vs. M11), but as I said before, I have only heard the Master-9. However, if sonic superiority is the goal, you should probably go with the step-up models, the HE-7 and HE-9.

For sure, diminishing returns are being at hand here as so commonly expected when climbing the fi-ladder.

I'll contact Kingwa and enquire him on these differences.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,196 of 2,624

For sure, diminishing returns are being at hand here as so commonly expected when climbing the fi-ladder.

I'll contact Kingwa and enquire him on these differences.

I predict his reply to be something along the lines of

"the HE-7 and HE-9 combo will be the best sounding, but not worth the price increase over the M7 and M9 combo. The M11 is a fanstastic sounding integrated combo, and certainly the best value for money. If you're on any kind of budget, get the M11. If you have some money to spare and value a better level of sound quality, get the M7 and M9, which allows for later upgrades as well. And if you're not concerned about the cost and want the best, even if only slightly better, then get the HE-7 and HE-9."

Kingwa has discussed versions of this question before and he's always been honest about where the HE-7 and HE-9 sit. 

Good luck with your route. Maybe after I complete my modded Phoenix project I'll get an M9 in house to compare. I'm very much looking forward to that :)

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,198 of 2,624
So I just sold my Mjolnir 2 to fund a Master 9 and I am hoping that it will pair well with the Gungnir Multibit I have. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,199 of 2,624
  So I just sold my Mjolnir 2 to fund a Master 9 and I am hoping that it will pair well with the Gungnir Multibit I have. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?

I imagine it'll be a great pair. The Master-11 has an incredibly neutral amp based on the Master-9, and it pairs well.

Truthfully, I'd prefer a Gumby -> Master-9 to a Yggy -> Master-9 because I really like the Gungnir Multibit.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #1,200 of 2,624
Is the preamp out the same as the 3 pin XLR in the front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back