Audio-GD Master 9
Jan 18, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,171 of 2,635

So order with:

- dimmable display
- not short the inputs

Anything else I can customize to make it better?

I

t seems like they have put in a jumper for dimming the display, so maybe no need for paying extra anymore.

Yes I would go for the option that not shorten the inputs to ground as well.

You can order a 6 or 9 dB extra gain if you like, but I don’t think you will need it. I have no extra gain and have never needed it even with my HE6. Thought if you plane to have a very inefficient headphone like the HE6 or Abyss and also listening a lot to low recorded classic music and are planning to use a DAC with low output it could be a good thing to have some extra gain. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,172 of 2,635
  I

t seems like they have put in a jumper for dimming the display, so maybe no need for paying extra anymore.

Yes I would go for the option that not shorten the inputs to ground as well.

You can order a 6 or 9 dB extra gain if you like, but I don’t think you will need it. I have no extra gain and have never needed it even with my HE6. Thought if you plane to have a very inefficient headphone like the HE6 or Abyss and also listening a lot to low recorded classic music and are planning to use a DAC with low output it could be a good thing to have some extra gain. 

Yeah I'm not going to need a 6 or 9 dB. I won't be returning to Hifimans or Audeze anytime soon. It's pretty much end game with HD 800. Only other consideration is SR-009, which doesn't concern the Master 9. Although a Audio-GD electrostatic headphone amp would be most welcoming.

Even though I'm ordering without shortening the inputs, for the time being I will only be connecting one source to it. So, theoretically, am I correct in assuming that the performance is the same for both (short vs. non short) versions as long as only one source is plugged in? Even if there is a very slight performance issue, it should not trump the safety of other gear.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #1,173 of 2,635

Yeah I'm not going to need a 6 or 9 dB. I won't be returning to Hifimans or Audeze anytime soon. It's pretty much end game with HD 800. Only other consideration is SR-009, which doesn't concern the Master 9. Although a Audio-GD electrostatic headphone amp would be most welcoming.

Even though I'm ordering without shortening the inputs, for the time being I will only be connecting one source to it. So, theoretically, am I correct in assuming that the performance is the same for both (short vs. non short) versions as long as only one source is plugged in? Even if there is a very slight performance issue, it should not trump the safety of other gear.

Yes the performance in SQ is the same for both as I have understand it.

I hope it’s okay if I ask, why do you want to have an amp that is shorting to ground if you plan to use only one source? 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,174 of 2,635

Yes the performance in SQ is the same for both as I have understand it.

I hope it’s okay if I ask, why do you want to have an amp that is shorting to ground if you plan to use only one source? 

Maybe I read this backwards. I want the amp version that doesn't short the amp and kill the DAC. Even though for the time being I will be using one source with it, I can imagine a situation where I mess my DAC if the amp shorts the ground. For example, using the amp late at night in low or no light with a remote and I accidentally change the input instead of turning the volume. Occasionally happens to everyone. So even with one source, IMO its a good safety measure to have an amp that won't go killing sources. Also, depending on how it performs as a pre-amp, I might move it to my home theatre rig where I'll have many sources connected to it.

Not sure if this is what you were getting at? Maybe I misunderstood.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,175 of 2,635

Maybe I read this backwards. I want the amp version that doesn't short the amp and kill the DAC. Even though for the time being I will be using one source with it, I can imagine a situation where I mess my DAC if the amp shorts the ground. For example, using the amp late at night in low or no light with a remote and I accidentally change the input instead of turning the volume. Occasionally happens to everyone. So even with one source, IMO its a good safety measure to have an amp that won't go killing sources. Also, depending on how it performs as a pre-amp, I might move it to my home theatre rig where I'll have many sources connected to it.

Really sorry, it was I that read it wrong not you. You said you will get the no shorting to ground configuration.

I hope you will be satisfy with the Master 9. I sure have 
beerchug.gif

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,176 of 2,635

Really sorry, it was I that read it wrong not you. You said you will get the no shorting to ground configuration.

I hope you will be satisfy with the Master 9. I sure have 
beerchug.gif

Ah, no problem, and thank you!

This should be my last piece headphone related for sometime. It's been LONG overdue. Very excited.

A few years back I nearly sold all my heaphone gear (Audeze, Hifiman, Emotiva, Marantz) as I was not happy with the headphone experience. Later I heard the HD 800 and found some hope. Instead of going the typical route and buying headphones first with an amplifier, I actually did it opposite this time around. I started with a good DAC and pre-amp, which also had a good headphone amplifier. Then picked up the HD 800. Then picked up the BDP-1 as I strongly wanted to get away from the computer screen and the sound.

Having done the audio journey twice with buying downstream gear first time around, and recently doing it with upstream gear first, I have enjoyed all of my gear a lot more each time I added something. I'm really happy I got the upstream stuff correct.

Nowadays, I would rather listen to a mid-fi headphone or speaker with good upstream gear (Transport + DAC), rather than mid-fi upstream gear with TOTL (headphone) amps. IME the digital components matter a lot more than they are typically given credit. With less than optimum transports, like computer (Mac, Audirvana etc), I've found no matter how good the analog, there is always going to be some digital glare that will get in the way...Maybe I'm more sensitive than others.

Anyways, back to the thread. I'm sure this time around I'll have the rest of the rig up to par to bring out the best in the Master 9.
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,177 of 2,635

I contacted Shiit and they told me the M9 is no problem to use with the Yggy.  They gave me no special instructions as to not switching inputs- only that it is perfectly O.K.     So- no reason for anyone to panic.

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,178 of 2,635
  I contacted Shiit and they told me the M9 is no problem to use with the Yggy.  They gave me no special instructions as to not switching inputs- only that it is perfectly O.K.     So- no reason for anyone to panic.

Great to hear. For some reason I remember reading (maybe it was thread) that Yggy ended up having problems with it. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,180 of 2,635
I'm thinking of getting the M7 and the M9. As I have the option of choosing the HE-7 and HE-9 instead, I wonder, does it have any sonical effect?  Or should I just get an external power re-generator? If so, which one?

Also, any consensus on which bridge offers best sound? Been looking at Pink Fauna. What other options are there?

And can someone explain or refer to thread/post what the Audio-GD's shorting to ground means and how it affects practical use.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,181 of 2,635
I'm thinking of getting the M7 and the M9. As I have the option of choosing the HE-7 and HE-9 instead, I wonder, does it have any sonical effect?  Or should I just get an external power re-generator? If so, which one?

Also, any consensus on which bridge offers best sound? Been looking at Pink Fauna. What other options are there?

And can someone explain or refer to thread/post what the Audio-GD's shorting to ground means and how it affects practical use.

Well, if you're looking at getting the M7 & M9, you should get the M11, since it is the two units merged into one. I've heard it sounds better than the two units seperately, which I can't confirm (but it kinda makes sense, since it is a more direct, hard-wired connection), and it costs less than buying them separately.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,182 of 2,635

Fujak had an M7 and later a HE-7, he found that the HE-7 has big improvement over the M7 in soundstage, imaging and transparency. You may PM him to find out more.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,183 of 2,635

Well, if you're looking at getting the M7 & M9, you should get the M11, since it is the two units merged into one. I've heard it sounds better than the two units seperately, which I can't confirm (but it kinda makes sense, since it is a more direct, hard-wired connection), and it costs less than buying them separately.

That's a bold assumption, as I found the M7 doesn't sound like the REF5.32 at all (I directly compared both). The M7 has a  weighty, dense, bloomy sound while the REF5.32 has a delicate, nimble but thinner sound. And with someone who auditioned the REF5.32 and M11's DAC claiming that they sound similar, that implies that weighty, dense, bloomy sound of the M7 may be absent on the M11. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,184 of 2,635

Well, if you're looking at getting the M7

That's a bold assumption, as I found the M7 doesn't sound like the REF5.32 at all (I directly compared both). The M7 has a  weighty, dense, bloomy sound while the REF5.32 has a delicate, nimble but thinner sound. And with someone who auditioned the REF5.32 and M11's DAC claiming that they sound similar, that implies that weighty, dense, bloomy sound of the M7 may be absent on the M11. 

REF5.32? What are you talking about? The M11's DAC section IS the Master 7.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #1,185 of 2,635
REF5.32? What are you talking about? The M11's DAC section IS the Master 7.

They aren't the same. M11 = 4 chips M7 = 8 chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back