Audio-GD Master 9
Jul 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #452 of 2,635
  Would the humble HD600 sound good out of the M9? With the Bifrost Uber as DAC..

Why wouldn't it? Good DAC, good amp, good headphones ... how could that result in bad sound? Synergy is one thing, but if you have all the components right, the sound will be great - even if the components aren't the greatest match possible (and this is something only YOU can decide, so ...).

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #453 of 2,635

Why wouldn't it? Good DAC, good amp, good headphones ... how could that result in bad sound? Synergy is one thing, but if you have all the components right, the sound will be great - even if the components aren't the greatest match possible (and this is something only YOU can decide, so ...).

Fair point there : )

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #454 of 2,635

Yea, I've also been looking for that comparison a for a few months now but to no avail.  On another note, I've been reading some of the audio articles on your page, it's great stuff.  Have your impressions of the M9 changed at all after having it for a few weeks?

Not really, still love it, but I don't understand the people saying that M9 is warm...especially on the balanced outputs. Let's say the sound is a little, but just a little warm on the single ended outputs. I found the balanced outputs to be dead neutral.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #455 of 2,635
  Not really, still love it, but I don't understand the people saying that M9 is warm...especially on the balanced outputs. Let's say the sound is a little, but just a little warm on the single ended outputs. I found the balanced outputs to be dead neutral.

I wouldn't call it warm, but rather ever so slightly darkish compared to some other amps, like the Taurus. But yes, it is better described as neutral. It is a very revealing amp. Love it. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #456 of 2,635
I am just wondering, since I have the DAC that only has unbalanced output, will this affect SQ of Master 9? Is it always better to use the balanced source? I almost pulled the trigger yesterday then I suddenly realized that I do not have balanced DAC anymore. 

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #457 of 2,635
That "darkness" is because it is current-gain and non-feedback. It's the lack of what I call the "haze" that many amps have in the treble.

@chengka7 The Audio-gd amps have a good phase converter, so your DAC will be fine.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #458 of 2,635

I wouldn't call it warm, but rather ever so slightly darkish compared to some other amps, like the Taurus. But yes, it is better described as neutral. It is a very revealing amp. Love it. 

Yes, but the treble has an excellent extension and sparkle. It is as it should be, imo.

Does anybody know the dynamic range spec value of M9?

Jul 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #461 of 2,635
  And here is my review.

Liked it quite much, thanks for a nice evening read
Hope to listen to it very soon
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back