Audio-GD Master 9
May 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #346 of 2,635

It seems to me that you didn’t have any problem then using Pico on battery so here some trouble shooting you can try with that in mind. People that don’t “believe” that cables and the right phase matter just skip this post please.

·         Are your setup (computer, dac and amp) connected to the right phase? It is very important if you want to get the best sound. If it’s not the bass will sound soft. If a European Schuko outlet is used you can easily invert the L and N lines simply by inserting the plug into your symmetrical outlet the other way around and listening for the best result.

·         If you have a US outlet: sometimes the wall socket's internal electrical connections are reversed. It is important to ensure that this is not the case. You can test this with a receptacle tester from your local electronics store or by trying another outlet.

·         The computer, dac and amp should IMO be connected to the same phase and power strip.

·         The output from the computer should be on 100.

·         Check that the clip protector in your media player isn’t selected.  

Here are some other things to consider:

·         If you have a cheap plastic power strip it can infect the SQ, especially the dynamic.

·         The power cord that you get with the M9 or other amp and dac’s are IMO not that good. Kingwa recommend a “suitable power and signal cables”.

·         Try to listen to music late at night to control if the bass is soft when as well. Usually the power grid is more polluted during the days and evenings.

May 31, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #349 of 2,635
For my taste and wallet the M9 is my end game setup. All my headphones sound excellent!
Congrats on your purchase!

unless you were a J-pop user like me :p the M9 is a TOO Revealing amp that will make you get super confused xD  its a double edge sword when it comes to bad recording. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #352 of 2,635
  How is the M9 with the HD800? I hear the HD800 is a tough nut to crack in terms of getting them to sound their best.

If you have only the HD 800 then I would suggest go for a good tube amp (WA2 / WA22 / Stratus / WA5 / etc.) to get the best out of them.

If you have HD 800 + other HP's & have the means to buy multiple amps which will best synergise with each of your HP's , then get a good tube amp for HD 800 & M9 for your your other HP's. (depending on the Tube amp, it may or may not work well with your other HP's).

If you have HD 800 + other HP's & want to own only one amp which works very well with all HP's & gets you atleast 90-95% there soundwise with HD 800 (as compared to a TOTL tube amp), then get only M9.

I have owned few tube amps & I am lucky that I have the means  to be able to own multiple amps which best synergise with my HP's. But if situation were to change & I have to cut down my amp collection to only one due to limited funds then i will most probably keep the M9.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #353 of 2,635

How is the M9 with the HD800? I hear the HD800 is a tough nut to crack in terms of getting them to sound their best.

If you have only the HD 800 then I would suggest go for a good tube amp (WA2 / WA22 / Stratus / WA5 / etc.) to get the best out of them.

If you have HD 800 + other HP's & have the means to buy multiple amps which will best synergise with each of your HP's , then get a good tube amp for HD 800 & M9 for your your other HP's. (depending on the Tube amp, it may or may not work well with your other HP's).

If you have HD 800 + other HP's & want to own only one amp which works very well with all HP's & gets you atleast 90-95% there soundwise with HD 800 (as compared to a TOTL tube amp), then get only M9.

I have owned few tube amps & I am lucky that I have the means  to be able to own multiple amps which best synergise with my HP's. But if situation were to change & I have to cut down my amp collection to only one due to limited funds then i will most probably keep the M9.

Nothing is black & white, HD800 can sound top notch even with a solid state amp. Its all about personal preferences and overall system synergy. There is a great point in InnerFidelity review of Auralic Taurus, which can apply to other top level solid state amps like M9 and GS-X MKII.

John Grandberg said:
 the AURALiC TAURUS MKII is among the absolute best headphone amplifiers I've ever heard. And I've heard quite a few. Solid state, valve, or hybrid; once we cross the threshold to 4-digit price tags, I start caring less about topology and more about results.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #354 of 2,635
Nothing is black & white, HD800 can sound top notch even with a solid state amp. Its all about personal preferences and overall system synergy. There is a great point in InnerFidelity review of Auralic Taurus, which can apply to other top level solid state amps like M9 and GS-X MKII.

True most things in life are Grey & tubes vs SS is mostly personal preference. Which tube amp have you tried HD 800 with ? I infer from your comments that you prefer HD 800 on SS amps ?

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #355 of 2,635

True most things in life are Grey & tubes vs SS is mostly personal preference. Which tube amp have you tried HD 800 with ? I infer from your comments that you prefer HD 800 on SS amps ?

Best tube amp with HD800 that I heard is Eddie Current BA, and the best solid state amp was B22 and GS-X MKI. They all were awesome to me, more similar than different, I would be happy either. My point was that once you go top high end, tube vs. SS matter much less than they do at <$1000 amps.

Jun 1, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #356 of 2,635
Best tube amp with HD800 that I heard is Eddie Current BA, and the best solid state amp was B22 and GS-X MKI. They all were awesome to me, more similar than different, I would be happy either. My point was that once you go top high end, tube vs. SS matter much less than they do at <$1000 amps.

I agree.  I don't agree with the HD800 needs a tube amp to get the best out of it BS..   

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #357 of 2,635
I've received my M9 yesterday. it has 23 h of burn in. It is absolutely fascinating. I've never heard an amplifier more transparent than this one. I have to gather my words to describe it. Review coming soon. I still have to do some more burn in, but now I don't understand the people saying it is warm. It is extremely neutral and transparent. This is Class A so it is relaxed but relaxed in a good way, playing the music effortlessly. 

Another thing that was a huge surprise was the fact that it looks much better in real life than in the pictures I have seen. The case is sturdy and has a very nice and good looking finish. The materials are very thick and it is overall very well built. 

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #358 of 2,635
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #359 of 2,635
  I've received my M9 yesterday. it has 23 h of burn in. It is absolutely fascinating. I've never heard an amplifier more transparent than this one. I have to gather my words to describe it. Review coming soon. I still have to do some more burn in, but now I don't understand the people saying it is warm. It is extremely neutral and transparent. This is Class A so it is relaxed but relaxed in a good way, playing the music effortlessly. 

Another thing that was a huge surprise was the fact that it looks much better in real life than in the pictures I have seen. The case is sturdy and has a very nice and good looking finish. The materials are very thick and it is overall very well built. 

Just effortless is the good word to describe the Master 9. Maybe it´s because the Master 9 is so neutral it pairs so well with a so engaging DAC as the Auralic Vega (I like the Vega more with ithe Master 9 than with the AMP DP777 not upgraded). And I like it more with the LCD-X than with the HD800 which i sold. I don´t regret that I chose the Master 9 and not the Taurus by the way (even if I didn´t listen to the Taurus).

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #360 of 2,635

Just effortless is the good word to describe the Master 9. Maybe it´s because the Master 9 is so neutral it pairs so well with a so engaging DAC as the Auralic Vega (I like the Vega more with ithe Master 9 than with the AMP DP777 not upgraded). And I like it more with the LCD-X than with the HD800 which i sold. I don´t regret that I chose the Master 9 and not the Taurus by the way (even if I didn´t listen to the Taurus).

I personally don't think I would like it to be more neutral than this :p

What changes did you guys hear in the burn in process? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back