Audio-GD Master 9
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2,116 of 2,563
HE-9 LE is probably, the best headamp money can buy and two classes up.

http://audio-gd.com/HE/HE9LE/HE9LEEN.htm

What's different between HE-9 LE and HE-9 MK2:
The HE-9 LE and HE-9 MK2 have share the exact same analog board. The most different is the HE-9 MK2 has built in regenerate power supply that can filter all power line
interrupt, feed the most clean power to the analog boards .

The HE-9 LE has built in the linear power supply , benefit from the built in pure class A PSUs that can offer the quite clean power to the analog boards.
If customer want the best sound quality, choice the HE-9 MK2.
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE9MK2/HE9MK2EN.htm
If customer want to get the best rate of performance and price, or already own the good enough external power processor, choice the HE-9 LE .

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #2,118 of 2,563
If I cannot stretch my budget beyond a master 19 , am I losing out akot by not going for a higher end model. What DAC iOS a better Match for the Master 19?
Maybe someone can recommend the R27 series where you get a really good all in one solution.

R27 MK2 or R27RE both are really good price!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #2,119 of 2,563
If I cannot stretch my budget beyond a master 19 , am I losing out akot by not going for a higher end model.

No, the Master 19 and R8 MK2 are the best values. The lower the numbers, the better the gear. But all the improvements are incremental.

What DAC iOS a better Match for the Master 19?

All the Audio-gd gear works with all Audio-gd gear and with most everything else.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #2,121 of 2,563
At the minute I’ve simply got a Fiio K9 pro ESS. If I got the Master 19 amp to start with and used the ESS Dac in my Fiio with it until I can afford to get an Audio Gd DAC , would it sound horrible ?
You should read the Audio-gd product pages.

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,122 of 2,563
I see on Audio Gd website it says if you are planning to use your phone as a source this product is not for you , On my current drip I used my IPhone to stream Qobuz into my DAC. Is this not really suitable then ? What would be a good source instead ?

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #2,123 of 2,563
I see on Audio Gd website it says if you are planning to use your phone as a source this product is not for you , On my current drip I used my IPhone to stream Qobuz into my DAC. Is this not really suitable then ? What would be a good source instead ?
I think the point is that you need a good quality DAC with enough drive or you're not getting your money's worth. If you can't buy everything at once you have to figure out what order you want to get things in.

The R-1 is around 1000 USD and could be a good starter DAC. If you want a combo unit you could look at the R-27 or R-28, or the R2R-11. All Kingwa's gear is tops and also very good values. There is no risk of disappointment except if you buy less than you can afford.

It just depends on your goals for your system, your budget, and how much space you have. Some of his gear is quite large and heavy.

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #2,124 of 2,563
My buddy describe all Audio Gd stuff as ‘mushy’ sounding. Any idea what he may be referring to ? Reviews I’ve read all seem to contradict that statement but I also know you can’t always fully trust online reviews
I was wondering about the "mushy", maybe he means it sounds very wet. It does, compared to all my delta sigma dacs, AGD is very wet, and I like the saturation. It is so liquidy.

_____

I see two pathways here before recommending AGD...... RED or BLUE pill:

The RED pill, is a journey/experience: try every other dac than AGD, within you budget(1-5 dacs), maybe stretch it even more to expensive dacs, and finally end(game) with AGD - Why? Because this hobby is a sport/learning for your ears, you will appreciate AGD more. It may sound like I encourage you to loose money, but I am not. I am so glad I did not start with AGD, and experience different dac sound, even the double the price of the R8HE MK2...I think this dac is atleast three times worth its money.

BLUE pill is just start from the top and buy one of the AGD series: R1, R27, R8, R7.

____

About the iOS or Android compatibility, that I can not answer, other than recommend you anything else than iOS and Android

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #2,125 of 2,563
Most people does not have a phone which can stream high quality music file to the DAC. Even if one has the right phone(for example an LG which was make and advertised for this), there is a lot of limitations and lots of opportunities to corrupt the signals. On top of that, one has to get the right app(such as HiByMusic) for the phone. If one cannot understand these limitations and expect a good quality music playbacks, more often than not it would end up as disappointed.

If you spend enough resources to look for it, it can do it. However, don't expect that would bring it to the level of music play back that AGD gears were designed for, it is similiar to using a Porsche 911 to tow a trailer. It can be done, just not the best deployment of resources.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #2,126 of 2,563
I think the point is that you need a good quality DAC with enough drive or you're not getting your money's worth. If you can't buy everything at once you have to figure out what order you want to get things in.

The R-1 is around 1000 USD and could be a good starter DAC. If you want a combo unit you could look at the R-27 or R-28, or the R2R-11. All Kingwa's gear is tops and also very good values. There is no risk of disappointment except if you buy less than you can afford.

It just depends on your goals for your system, your budget, and how much space you have. Some of his gear is quite large and heavy.
How would one of their amps work with a Bifrost 2?

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #2,127 of 2,563
I was wondering about the "mushy", maybe he means it sounds very wet. It does, compared to all my delta sigma dacs, AGD is very wet, and I like the saturation. It is so liquidy.

_____

I see two pathways here before recommending AGD...... RED or BLUE pill:

The RED pill, is a journey/experience: try every other dac than AGD, within you budget(1-5 dacs), maybe stretch it even more to expensive dacs, and finally end(game) with AGD - Why? Because this hobby is a sport/learning for your ears, you will appreciate AGD more. It may sound like I encourage you to loose money, but I am not. I am so glad I did not start with AGD, and experience different dac sound, even the double the price of the R8HE MK2...I think this dac is atleast three times worth its money.

BLUE pill is just start from the top and buy one of the AGD series: R1, R27, R8, R7.

____

About the iOS or Android compatibility, that I can not answer, other than recommend you anything else than iOS and Android
I would agree with that description, wet, liquidy, analog. I likes it alot.

The master19 paired with a delta sigma dac makes it sound a bit too dry and analytical whereas its completely different with the r8mk2. I guess its just amplifying the characteristics of the dac.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #2,128 of 2,563
Selling my Master 9 240V. (bought new in 2022). Australia based. Flick me a msg if interested.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #2,130 of 2,563
How would one of their amps work with a Bifrost 2?

I really don't know. The Master 19 I have is pretty neutral. I would think they would be best with a DAC to the right of the warm line on the warm side of the 0 center point.

One of the many great things about this amps is thta they have so many inputs. One of the devices I have running balanced into my Master 19 is an Oppo 205. Even though the Oppo is an ESS battleship, it's a tremendous combo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back