Audio-GD Master 9
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,876 of 2,606
Burson amps are warm generally. With the Audio-gd house sound being neutral.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a warm headphone amp if you are intent on building a very revealing and detailed system.

But it would be nice to see a head to head review. I know where I would put my money.

Jan 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #1,877 of 2,606
Burson amps are warm generally. With the Audio-gd house sound being neutral.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a warm headphone amp if you are intent on building a very revealing and detailed system.

But it would be nice to see a head to head review. I know where I would put my money.
I prefer the he9 with warm headphones for the reason it's neutral. Kingwa introduced a setting that simulates tubes with the Master-9P just recently. I would be curious to hear this. Having an amp that is a perfect match for both neutral and warm headphone is a neat idea.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,878 of 2,606
I prefer the he9 with warm headphones for the reason it's neutral.

I have warm and neutral headphones exactly for this purpose. I usually swap them on a weekly basis or when the situation calls for it (ie the music).

You can warm up a neutral amp but you can't go the other direction.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,879 of 2,606
Hi, I have the M19. The average recording is very loud at 55-60 volume level using high gain.

Due to the exponential volume control power goes up quite rapidly after that and at 70+ would likely cause hearing damage.

The slam is really impressive, I'm still breaking in the HE6se and really enjoying it.

M8Svol1.jpeg
Just to chime in.

RME ADI-2 dac -> M19 -> HE6se. I have my RME fixed at -12dB, the M19 at high gain at 45-55. Anything more is beyond I can cope with for over a few seconds.
M19 + He6se is very enjoyable! Next to the M19 I own a Lake People RS-08 which is a bit more mellow (less dark than most Violectric's). I prefer the M19 for almost all headphones I got but for the HE6se the difference is more prominent.

Jan 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #1,880 of 2,606
That's it...the HE6se is my neutral choice.

I like warm too, I like it a lot and most things sound good, but when the recording is really special neutral is really something else. It takes you someplace you just can't get to any other way. IMHO.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #1,881 of 2,606
I like the idea of the Master 9P for our bedroom, to use both at my desk when working, for some eventual Susvaras, and also for a pair speakers for music listenin' and watching movies in bed. Neat!
9P twin toroidal transformers looks more attractive than those on M9.....

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #1,883 of 2,606
I prefer the he9 with warm headphones for the reason it's neutral. Kingwa introduced a setting that simulates tubes with the Master-9P just recently. I would be curious to hear this. Having an amp that is a perfect match for both neutral and warm headphone is a neat idea.
Would think the Master-9P is an upgrade to the master 9 ?
I have thoughts of upgrading my master 9 to the 9P but i have to sell my m9 first and not sure if it the right step

Jan 18, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #1,885 of 2,606
Would think the Master-9P is an upgrade to the master 9 ?
I have thoughts of upgrading my master 9 to the 9P but i have to sell my m9 first and not sure if it the right step
somehow I feel toroidal transformers are better than R core transformers in solid state amplilfiers..... maybe i'm wrong, just my own gut feeling....

would really like to know if anyone has bought the M9P and comment on it.....

Jan 18, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #1,886 of 2,606
somehow I feel toroidal transformers are better than R core transformers in solid state amplilfiers..... maybe i'm wrong, just my own gut feeling....

would really like to know if anyone has bought the M9P and comment on it.....
You can read te review of the precision 2. It will give you an idea. The precision 2 is a single-end amp and was sold as speaker amp. It had fantastic comments on its headphone output.

https://headmania.org/2014/12/01/audio-gd-precision-2-review/

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,887 of 2,606
There is no definitive answer on this. Torroidal gives more power per volume and less emission. This is less important when a transformer is in a separate section. R-Core has typically separate bobins for primary and secondary section. It reduce capacitance (HF leak), isolation is better.

Jan 24, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,888 of 2,606
Guys any thoughts on the fact that on audioscience review audio gd products generally measure poorly? I actually have an HE9 and I love it as a headamp and preamp.. but I just found out now that audio gd products all measure bad (at least the ones that have been tested). Is it possible for a product to sound great but measure poorly?

I am perplexed because before researching and buying the he9 I used master9 reviews as a reference and they were mostly all super positive.
The fellow who runs AudioScienceReview.com is an arrogant fool with no understanding or appreciation of what makes audio magical. His eyes serve as his ears. He's an engineer who disdains audiophiles. He's like the guy who can tell you how a watch is made, but can't tell time. Often, he'll condemn a product solely based on his measurements without ever actually listening to the product. That's both irresponsible and extremely unfair to the company making that product. I have auditioned products he's both damned and praised, and I can tell you his reviews are worthless as real-life references. He's a sham and should be ignored.

Jan 24, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,890 of 2,606
The fellow who runs AudioScienceReview.com is an arrogant fool with no understanding or appreciation of what makes audio magical. His eyes serve as his ears. He's an engineer who disdains audiophiles. He's like the guy who can tell you how a watch is made, but can't tell time. Often, he'll condemn a product solely based on his measurements without ever actually listening to the product. That's both irresponsible and extremely unfair to the company making that product. I have auditioned products he's both damned and praised, and I can tell you his reviews are worthless as real-life references. He's a sham and should be ignored.
I agree to everything except he is not an engineer. His background education is business oriented. He was a head of a consumer division at Microsoft in the time there were plans to make media centre from Windows and everything he touched failed. However, be respectful to the guy. Not everybody can be managing such powerful institution. Maybe his departure from Microsoft had some agenda, like departure of Bill Gates led to the world-wide pandemic he announced two years before it happened. People at such positions are not dispensable, they are re-used. And the ASR guy has a clear agenda, not hiding a main objective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back