Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 4,445
Quote:
How about the driver issues with USB.  Did Kingwa say anything about that?  

I know he was working with who ever developed the driver.  What was the out come?

Thats the Tenor 8022 USB chipset.  With the Master 7 dac, he's using the USB32 chipset which apparently has a much mature USB driver implementation. Kingwa has requested the manufacturer to remove non required functionalities from the USB32 driver primarily focusing specifically on lowering jitter.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 4,445
Here's the i2S pin layout for Master-7: www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm. And here's the layout for OR: www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter. You can see the pin layout is different.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 4,445
Also another new finding for me (maybe already well known for other experienced head-fiers): according to Kingwa, the PCM1704U-K dac chip support 192KHz sample rate at 8x over-sampling, which is higher than the official specification (official data sheet here: http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1704). And since the S/PDIF decoder in Master-7 (I don't know the model) is different from that of Reference 7.1 (DIR9001), this enables the Master-7 to accept 192KHz sample rate.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 4,445
I'm no I2S expert but isnt it all about ensuring that the voltage is compatible, ie: 3.3v out from the source and also the pins line up from the source RJ-45 connectors?

I suspect (correct me if i'm wrong) that a custom RJ-45 cable should work with this pin layout, assuming that the Offramp puts out 3.3v's from its I2S output?

I2S Rj-45 output (offramp)               Master 7 I2S Rj-45 input
Pin 1 - SCLK                                 Pin 1 - SDATA
Pin 2 - SCLK return                        Pin 2 - SDATA return (ground)
Pin 3 - SDATA                               Pin 3 - L/RCLK
Pin 4 - SDATA return                     Pin 4 - L/RCLK return  (ground)
Pin 5 - L/RCLK                              Pin 5 - SCLK
Pin 6 - L/RCLK return                     Pin 6 - SCLK return  (ground)
Pin 7 - MCLK                                Pin 7 - MCLK                  
Pin 8 - MCLK return                       Pin 8 - MCLK return  (ground)

So, wire from Pin 1 (offramp) needs to connect to wire from Pin 5 (Master7) as an example?

Otherwise, hoping that Kingwa will release a source player that will have an I2S output that is compatible with the source input (4) on the Master7?  If not, then users will probably have to make a custom RJ-45 cable and find a suitable source that outputs 3.3v's?

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 4,445
Quote:
I'm no I2S expert but isnt it all about ensuring that the voltage is compatible, ie: 3.3v out from the source and also the pins line up from the source RJ-45 connectors?

I suspect (correct me if i'm wrong) that a custom RJ-45 cable should work with this pin layout, assuming that the Offramp puts out 3.3v's from its I2S output?

I2S Rj-45 output (offramp)               Master 7 I2S Rj-45 input
Pin 1 - SCLK                                 Pin 1 - SDATA
Pin 2 - SCLK return                        Pin 2 - SDATA return (ground)
Pin 3 - SDATA                               Pin 3 - L/RCLK
Pin 4 - SDATA return                     Pin 4 - L/RCLK return  (ground)
Pin 5 - L/RCLK                              Pin 5 - SCLK
Pin 6 - L/RCLK return                     Pin 6 - SCLK return  (ground)
Pin 7 - MCLK                                Pin 7 - MCLK                  
Pin 8 - MCLK return                       Pin 8 - MCLK return  (ground)

So, wire from Pin 1 (offramp) needs to connect to wire from Pin 5 (Master7) as an example?

Otherwise, hoping that Kingwa will release a source player that will have an I2S output that is compatible with the source input (4) on the Master7?  If not, then users will probably have to make a custom RJ-45 cable and find a suitable source that outputs 3.3v's?

Customers if want especial configure of the I2S input is easy change before shipping, we just want to change the inside wires connect , this is also easy change by users within few minutes without soldering .
The level compatible from 3.3  .

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #26 of 4,445
Quote:
Customers if want especial configure of the I2S input is easy change before shipping, we just want to change the inside wires connect , this is also easy change by users within few minutes without soldering .
The level compatible from 3.3  .

Thanks Kingwa for the confirmation.  Could you show us on the Audio GD site how to do these changes by the user?  I suspect some users/customers may have bought the Master 7dac without realising how to do this.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #28 of 4,445
Thank you Kingwa.  This is great news because that it will be easy configured to match any spec of I2S out there from different manufacturers.  Now this is what i call support!
gs1000.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #29 of 4,445
I just wonder if my CD7 FV can be configure to output I2S?

Or I need a USB SPDIF convert to I2S, will this degrade the CD7 FV performance ?

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #30 of 4,445
Your easiest option is to get a DI-Dsp and get Kingwa to do an i2s output. So bnc out from the cd7fv to bnc input on the DI, then I2s output to the Master 7. The best bit is that the pin alignment will be compatible to the Master 7. All u need is a short length. RJ45 cable.

Now whether or not it will sound better is the question to Kingwa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back