Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Sep 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #36 of 4,451
2 cm.
biggrin.gif

OK, a bit of a joke, but the truth is I2s was invented as a standard for transfering data between CD spinnner mechanism and DAC chip(s) inside CD players. It was never meant to be long and definitely not external (SPDIF or AES was used for external digital audio data transfer).

So - keep it as short as possible, but even then you have no guarantee that it would best decent SPDIF or USB implementations.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #37 of 4,451
Quote:
2 cm.
biggrin.gif

OK, a bit of a joke, but the truth is I2s was invented as a standard for transfering data between CD spinnner mechanism and DAC chip(s) inside CD players. It was never meant to be long and definitely not external (SPDIF or AES was used for external digital audio data transfer).

So - keep it as short as possible, but even then you have no guarantee that it would best decent SPDIF or USB implementations.

Thats correct..not the 2cm bit..:wink:

There are some 0.3 meter CAT6 patch cables floating around the net for very little $ that would work.  But again, nothing's guaranteed but at least it would be an inexpensive exercise.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #39 of 4,451
According to Kingwa, the Sabre is most neutral and revealing while the PCM1704 is the most musical. Wolfson should be somewhere in the middle. I own the PCM1704 based SA-1 and it does a good job of warming up my HD 800. Bass quantity is boosted and the background seems darker than it was previously. Soundstage is more 3D as well.

The SA-1 is specially tuned for musicality. The Reference 5.2 should be a bit more neutral, but Kingwa does provide directions on how to improve dynamics and detail at the cost of warmth by cutting a few cables.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #40 of 4,451
Quote:
According to Kingwa, the Sabre is most neutral and revealing while the PCM1704 is the most musical. Wolfson should be somewhere in the middle. I own the PCM1704 based SA-1 and it does a good job of warming up my HD 800. Bass quantity is boosted and the background seems darker than it was previously. Soundstage is more 3D as well.

The SA-1 is specially tuned for musicality. The Reference 5.2 should be a bit more neutral, but Kingwa does provide directions on how to improve dynamics and detail at the cost of warmth by cutting a few cables.

I agree and Kingwa said the same thing to me.

However while the neutral & revealing statement is a matter of fact the musical statement is actually a statement of opinion based on personal preference.
I value neutrality and detail highly and find my NFB-7 VERY musical.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #41 of 4,451
Quote:

I agree and Kingwa said the same thing to me.

However while the neutral & revealing statement is a matter of fact the musical statement is actually a statement of opinion based on personal preference.
I value neutrality and detail highly and find my NFB-7 VERY musical.

Neutral and detail are not mean the sound cool, bright and no musical.
But just if the music records have musical, the DAC have musical.
The records have litter, the DAC also output litter.
Just my personal point.

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #42 of 4,451
Quote:
Neutral and detail are not mean the sound cool, bright and no musical.
But just if the music records have musical, the DAC have musical.
The records have litter, the DAC also output litter.
Just my personal point.

+1
What the man said
wink_face.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #43 of 4,451
No impressions of the Master 7 yet? How can this be? 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #44 of 4,451
I got mine yesterday, replacing the Ref.7. Still having problems getting the VIA USB driver to install properly. Using the Audio-gd DI, it sounds a bit more sterile than my Ref.7, but as with all audio-gd stuff: don't listen to it after at least a week 24-7 burn in. I'm in the process of moving to a new house, so time is scarce. This weekend I'm planning to put more time in it and will post a few pics....

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 4,451
Quote:
I got mine yesterday, replacing the Ref.7. Still having problems getting the VIA USB driver to install properly. Using the Audio-gd DI, it sounds a bit more sterile than my Ref.7, but as with all audio-gd stuff: don't listen to it after at least a week 24-7 burn in. I'm in the process of moving to a new house, so time is scarce. This weekend I'm planning to put more time in it and will post a few pics....

Thanks for sharing BenBau. Looking forward to more...best to leave it running for a solid week as you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back