Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Mar 14, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #3,151 of 4,451

Very likely those other companies were doing what Audio-gd did years ago, which is use an S/PDIF receiver that was limited in what sample rate it would receive. Since Kingwa uses a DSP, it is only limited to what the DSP can be programmed to receive, and the electronics can handle without errors. 

Okay, do you think the same about the limitation in sample frequency and bits of for example the PCM 63?

I owned a CD-fix for many years which was built around the Burr Brown PCM 1704K. The built in 24 bit/96 kHz up-sampling circuit didn’t use an S/PDIF receiver, it played CD’s.

http://www.bladelius.com/SAT/cdfix.htm

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #3,153 of 4,451

Hi. I think i have tried all the setups the jumpers can give.
This was a good one.

Source - Linux PC - M2Tech i2s RJ45
Imf TLS80 and tube setup all over.

Btw :)

suprised you are using a jumper on dither.... I understood it doesn't sound good with that jumper no matter what....

no i'm interested... can anyone comment on this?

this is the setup I found best with my master11
by far this is the most Lively and musical sound for my setup.

I choose to have PLLEN or the pll clocks disabled since i'm using a very damn good DDC :wink:
the Audio-GD DIU8, yet modded with the NZ2520SDoscillators and a few other little things :D
This was a tricky feat.  The DIU8 by itself is way too bright and I didn't care for the DDC. but now with HDMI i2s and the upgraded clocks, it's sublime and incredible how much detail i'm hearing all while being very dynamic and musical. euphonic is a good word too. :D  You know you found a sweet spot when the music becomes addictive. "Just one more song!!! come on!!!! one more!!!" hahaha. 

but ONE major problem with this jumper setup...i use JRiver to process the issue of the channel imbalance. it's about 4.5-5db louder on the left channel.
I use Jriver to add +4.5db to right channel. sounds flawless now.

I'm sending my M11 back to china. But hoping kingwa will reply to my dozen or two emails about this and other issues too.

I plan to do some upgrades, also get my coax issues fixed. an incorrect cap was installed that causes my rca coax to not work properly. BNC is fine though.

I love the M11 though, so plan to get it fixed. going back to china in a week, or whenever Kingwa decides to return my emails :D 

He's usually good about it, but I swear he needs a translator!!!!

I plan to have some other special things done while it's there.

maybe get the new NOS upgrade options for dsp on M11's. I wish someone could explain the differences as Kingwa hasn't replied to my emails about that either.

Anyone have the low-down on the new NOS upgrades for dac19, m11, m7 etc.?

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #3,154 of 4,451
Ah, that could be a nice setup.
You have your passband @ -50db, for me the sojnd image got mabe wider/darker but more fuzzed. Less control. The passband @-90db tighten it, and the sound is getting a bit brighter, and cleaner.

I have to try the pll and dithr on this setup, but from the past tests i preferred it disabled.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #3,155 of 4,451
Ah, that could be a nice setup.
You have your passband @ -50db, for me the sojnd image got mabe wider/darker but more fuzzed. Less control. The passband @-90db tighten it, and the sound is getting a bit brighter, and cleaner.

I have to try the pll and dithr on this setup, but from the past tests i preferred it disabled.

i'm assuming the M11 and M7 are the same for jumpers...
but when you remove the jumper from PLLEN it ENABLES the PLL!!!!
so if you have a good clock source, you should definitely DISABLE it by putting a jumper on it!

also, Dither is default to having no jumper... i believe adding it will disable it as well.

But I should try again, before I didn't like the sound.

read this
http://www.basshead.club/audio-gear/master-11-info/

also this
http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-11/M11EN_Use.htm

also the m7
http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm

there is a common confusion about the DSP...many sources have it wrong...but PLLEN is default with no jumper and means PLL is enabled....
so..... try it without unless your source sucks.

so unless you're running bone stock from a crap usb source...turn off PLL if you have a good DDC, or using hdmi i2s with good ddc.

you have PLL clock enabled in your photo. and maybe it does sound better if your source isn't good enough, it would sound better enabled.

you have dither disabled, and you're the first person I know that has preferred it to be disabled. maybe if you are using Jriver's DSP data dithering it might make up for it... I need to experiment with this more.

I will try stopband -90db but oddly seemed to be best for me at -50db.

try some of the things I mentioned and let me know what you think!

the M7 and M11 are "similar" but dont' have the same signature.

So either way, we may just prefer different settings based on that alone.

but seems most people that have m7's will choose the same settings as those with m11's.

Both are top notch dacs.

-T

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #3,157 of 4,451

Okay, do you think the same about the limitation in sample frequency and bits of for example the PCM 63?

I owned a CD-fix for many years which was built around the Burr Brown PCM 1704K. The built in 24 bit/96 kHz up-sampling circuit didn’t use an S/PDIF receiver, it played CD’s.

http://www.bladelius.com/SAT/cdfix.htm

Yes, the PCM-63 can do 16x over-sampling at 48kHz base, which is equivalent to the 8x96 of the PCM1704.
There just was nothing >48kHz at that time (either material, or S/PDIF receivers), so it didn't make sense to call it a 384kHz capable DAC chip. Today, you can be sure that they would call them HD-Audio® DAC chips...

MHDT offers some PCM-63 and PCM-1704 DACs that can do 192kHz. Aqua Hifi offers 384kHz DACs, too.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,158 of 4,451
Yeah, I searched the Internet and found some comments on setting M7 working under NOS mode by adjusting the jumpers. Yes, the sound turned out to be more lively and musical, but the instrument place is not so precise as m7 under 8 times oversampling mode. I have no experience coz I dont try it by myself. If that's the case, I just wonder the new NOS7 would overcome this or not, it is applied with the new DSP specially designed for NOS according to Kingwa.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #3,159 of 4,451
I was using a (now discontinued) Audio-GD NOS1704 DAC prior to the M7, and there was no problem with channel imbalance or phase issues, so I am anxiously waiting to learn about this new NOS capability that Kingwa has dreamed up...

Thanks to all the posts here and the Audio Dandy review, I am now using:

BYPASS (JUMPER ON)
DITH       (JUMPER OFF)
IPS1      (JUMPER OFF)
ATT0      (JUMPER ON)
ATT1     (JUMPER ON)     
IPS0      (JUMPER ON)
PLLEN   (JUMPER OFF)

I guess this is 2X OS.. seems this is the maximum warm setting recommended from the Audio-GD site

voices in particular are wonderful... not a trace of any digital hash following the vocal ...
Sound-stage came forward a bit, bass somehow got deeper..

I am confused on the BYPASS jumper position... posts here a couple weeks ago said to leave it jumpered, and the basshead link (thanks bimmer100) seems to recommend leaving the BYPASS jumper on if I am reading it correctly,
also the Audio Dandy dealer mentioned in his review recommended keeping the jumper on... I have left the jumper on, and am getting noticeable changes with the different positions..

I tried passband @ -90db, but some harshness was present. I am listening to speakers near-field and my speakers can be kind of bright up close...  

I originally tried with the IPS1 jumper on (I guess true NOS) and the system went out of phase for 16/44.1.... but strangely enough.... hi-res files were OK....
That drove me nuts for a couple days ......
blink.gif

Anyway - everything is great now with the settings above... next need try with the PLLEN jumpered, but I will wait until my 0.5M HDMI cable arrives (for the i2S from a Tanly DDC) -
I recently changed to 1M HDMI cable, and it sounds fine, but maybe a shorter one will be more stable...

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #3,160 of 4,451
Is the master 11 lacking in the dac department when compared to the master 7? Also does anyone know how the dac-19 anniversary fairs against either ?

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,161 of 4,451
Is the master 11 lacking in the dac department when compared to the master 7? Also does anyone know how the dac-19 anniversary fairs against either ?

Other than having 4 pcm1704uk's instead of 8...
Not at all as far as sound quality. I have heard both and prefer he m11. Less u shaped.
Also one guy sold his m7/m9 stack and his yggy even all to keep his m11 as he preference. The m11 is euphonic and sounds very musical.
Personally I like it in nos mode. But overall similar to the m7 if you want to compare.

and yes, i've also owned the dac19.... it's great for SE. soundstage is better on M11 and M7....but m11 is best bang for buck without question.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,162 of 4,451
  Yes, the PCM-63 can do 16x over-sampling at 48kHz base, which is equivalent to the 8x96 of the PCM1704.
There just was nothing >48kHz at that time (either material, or S/PDIF receivers), so it didn't make sense to call it a 384kHz capable DAC chip. Today, you can be sure that they would call them HD-Audio® DAC chips...

MHDT offers some PCM-63 and PCM-1704 DACs that can do 192kHz. Aqua Hifi offers 384kHz DACs, too.

MHDT and Aqua are NOS DACs.

I personally find it hard to believe because no other DAC manufacturers with PMC 1704 have specified them to do 8x oversampling 192 KHz. If you, Currawong and others think otherwise or that it is because of S/PDIF receivers or whatever that’s fine be me. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #3,163 of 4,451
M1+M7 in wall connect-crappy sound
Isolator1 M1 +M7            -better
isolator1 M1+isolator2 M7  -better
isolator1 M1with5rcore+isolator2 M7  -Better
M1with 5rcore-5ac choke+isolator2 M7  -much Better!!!!!!
Power amp L with isolator3  +   R with isolator4  -BETTER!!!
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif

Next change:

M1with5rcore-5ac choke+M7with3rcore+3ac choke  ?? result:next week
                                         M7with6rcore+6ac choke  ??

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,164 of 4,451
  M1+M7 in wall connect-crappy sound
Isolator1 M1 +M7            -better
isolator1 M1+isolator2 M7  -better
isolator1 M1with5rcore+isolator2 M7  -Better
M1with 5rcore-5ac choke+isolator2 M7  -much Better!!!!!!
Power amp L with isolator3  +   R with isolator4  -BETTER!!!
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif

Next change:

M1with5rcore-5ac choke+M7with3rcore+3ac choke  ?? result:next week
                                         M7with6rcore+6ac choke  ??

I have absolutely no DIY skills so using a HE-350 for the M7, M1, and Tanly DDC..
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE350/HE-350EN.htm

How do you like the QA660? is that i2S, SPDIF or USB output?

Greetings from ChangAn Town, Dongguan
beerchug.gif

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #3,165 of 4,451
I think 5ac choke and 1isolator option much cheaper,smaller,and better.The component disturb each other,He 350 didn't help.
5rcore+5ac choke the biggest upgrade,fantastic!!!!
qa 660 i2s also great!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back