Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #2,356 of 4,451
The guy in the link below seems to thing the  M2Tech HiFace Evo + Evo Supply + Evo Clock better then the Offramp 5, thoughts?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #2,357 of 4,451
Maybe. This has been referenced many times in the past in other threads. For reference - my own experiences:

• Berkeley Alpha Designs (ranked highest in that thread with 110 score) was NOT better than the standard un-upgraded Off-Ramp 5 using SPDIF into a PWD2 DAC.
  • Audiopediphlio 1/2 no PS (ranked same as the fully upgraded Off-Ramp 5 with score of 95 each in that thread) performed WORSE than PWD2 DAC built-in XMOS USB and CONSIDERABLY WORSE than the standard un-upgraded Off-Ramp into PWD2 DAC using SPDIF.
  • Off-Ramp 5 using i2s is much BETTER than Off-Ramp 5 using SPDIF on PWD2. On AGD-M7, i2s is CONSIDERABLE BETTER than the SPDIF from Off-Ramp 5. Throw that comparison out the door if using i2s. Compare apples to apples.

YMMV. It comes down to DAC, and transmission format. Where the Off-Ramp 5 really pulls ahead is with its i2s on DAC that can support it.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,358 of 4,451
Got ya. Thanks. Trying to read all 158 pages of this thread :/. M7 is a sizable purchase and debating between DirectStream or even the NFB7. If I go A-GD I may even go HE option (power generator from Kingwa if he still offers it)

Quick question. JCAT or PPA into a OR5/6 worth it? If so which JCAT or PPA V3 is better.  Trying to get the most out of this and be done, that said let me know if you have other config recommendations. Thanks

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,359 of 4,451
  Got ya. Thanks. Trying to read all 158 pages of this thread :/. M7 is a sizable purchase and debating between DirectStream or even the NFB7. If I go A-GD I may even go HE option (power generator from Kingwa if he still offers it)

Quick question. JCAT or PPA into a OR5/6 worth it? If so which JCAT or PPA V3 is better.  Trying to get the most out of this and be done, that said let me know if you have other config recommendations. Thanks

DirectStream is awful. Well, maybe I shouldn't say that because it's matter of taste, but it sounds really different from M7. PSA DirectSteam tends to be bright, have lit-up upper-mids, and lean sounding / bass-lite. Actually all the latest PSA DACs tend to be lean sounding. They are best in rooms with boomy speakers too big for the room or a room with a lot of room nodes or standing bass waves. Also wait for PSA DSD to make a price hit if it hasn't already. Tends to happen with PSA DACs more than others. Resale value tends to tank with them.

If you are using neutralish or brighter cans, I would avoid PSA DSD. M7 will have warmest tone and best lush vocal rendering out of the box. NFB-7 has of that SABRE hashy treble stuff going on.

On JCAT or PPA, consider if you have the turboclock upgrade on OR5. To be, the turboclock upgrade provided more precision and focus, maybe a bit too much, so I opted out and got $99 Wyrd 9USB reclocked) which provided about 70% of the effect, which was just about right for my tastes. I tend to be a cheap person if I can. 

I would say start basic, and add pieces accordingly. It could be you end up liking JCAT/PPC + Wyrd + turboclocks. Generally, Wyrd is considered an acceptable substitute for the USB cards, unless you need special functionality from JPLAY, etc. JPLAY didn't do anything for me, but I use a hardened Windows OS with lots of stuff disabled and tweaked.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2,360 of 4,451
The Berkeley Alpha Designs Alpha USB was much better, and I mean much better than the stock OR5 and could not be singled out vs. a loaded OR5 (sounded the same).  Using AES, the OR5's only advantage was having I2S.  That's why I went with the Alpha USB.  

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2,361 of 4,451
the HE-7 is indeed very tempting. I believe this is the best audio-gd dac forward.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #2,362 of 4,451
Quote:

... JCAT/PPC + Wyrd + turboclocks...

I endend up with the JCAT USB card (battery powered) and turboclocks... Everything brings some improvement. Is there any sense in buying the Wyrd for me? I assume none but maybe ??? Any experience?

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #2,363 of 4,451
  Maybe. This has been referenced many times in the past in other threads. For reference - my own experiences:

• Berkeley Alpha Designs (ranked highest in that thread with 110 score) was NOT better than the standard un-upgraded Off-Ramp 5 using SPDIF into a PWD2 DAC.
  • Audiopediphlio 1/2 no PS (ranked same as the fully upgraded Off-Ramp 5 with score of 95 each in that thread) performed WORSE than PWD2 DAC built-in XMOS USB and CONSIDERABLY WORSE than the standard un-upgraded Off-Ramp into PWD2 DAC using SPDIF.
  • Off-Ramp 5 using i2s is much BETTER than Off-Ramp 5 using SPDIF on PWD2. On AGD-M7, i2s is CONSIDERABLE BETTER than the SPDIF from Off-Ramp 5. Throw that comparison out the door if using i2s. Compare apples to apples.

YMMV. It comes down to DAC, and transmission format. Where the Off-Ramp 5 really pulls ahead is with its i2s on DAC that can support it.

I totally agree on the I2S on OR5!

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #2,364 of 4,451

JCAT USB card is IMO worth it. I haven’t heard PPA so can’t say which one is better, but the improvement with the JCAT card + JCAT USB cable was at the level of the OR5 I2S in my system.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #2,365 of 4,451
The top cover on my Master 7 hasn't been bolted in place for almost a year due to testing/ tweaking HDMI I2S interface.   Having pretty good luck with PLL bypass I decided to go one further and add 1X oversampling since it is a convenient change with my setup.   So powering off all equipment I placed a jumper on IPS0 header and the first thing I hear after powering up is more bass!   Interesting sound...  Very warm for a supposedly clinical sounding DAC.  Not sure I have the same amount of low level detail/ separation of instruments as the standard 8X oversampling provides but vocal silibance is good as well as other higher frequency sound qualities.  I like what I hear at first listen and will continue to evaluate.  The added bass is welcome!  

YMMV with jumper settings as sound is probably very dependent upon source equipment.  But nothing wrong with changing the jumpers and giving it a listen for yourself.   Again my M7 has PLL bypassed and 1X oversampling.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,366 of 4,451
  The top cover on my Master 7 hasn't been bolted in place for almost a year due to testing/ tweaking HDMI I2S interface.   Having pretty good luck with PLL bypass I decided to go one further and add 1X oversampling since it is a convenient change with my setup.   So powering off all equipment I placed a jumper on IPS0 header and the first thing I hear after powering up is more bass!   Interesting sound...  Very warm for a supposedly clinical sounding DAC.  Not sure I have the same amount of low level detail/ separation of instruments as the standard 8X oversampling provides but vocal silibance is good as well as other higher frequency sound qualities.  I like what I hear at first listen and will continue to evaluate.  The added bass is welcome!  

YMMV with jumper settings as sound is probably very dependent upon source equipment.  But nothing wrong with changing the jumpers and giving it a listen for yourself.   Again my M7 has PLL bypassed and 1X oversampling.

Nice! I got my ordered jumpers just two days ago and I’m going to experimenting with them during the Christmas holydays. I have read someone who liked the 8x oversampling, filter put on 90 dB and no ditching best on an AGD dac, not Master 7 thou.
Going to be interesting testing days, no matter the outcome!

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #2,367 of 4,451

Nice! I got my ordered jumpers just two days ago and I’m going to experimenting with them during the Christmas holydays. I have read someone who liked the 8x oversampling, filter put on 90 dB and no ditching best on an AGD dac, not Master 7 thou.
Going to be interesting testing days, no matter the outcome!

This is a very interesting experiment as I have found no DSP settings I absolutely hate.  I currently have PLL bypass, no dithering, -90dB filter stop band, and 4x oversampling.  Tighter sound, good bass, and less warmth as 1x oversampling + PLL bypass only.  Not a lot to complain about with the current jumper settings but sounds more like the factory default settings.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,368 of 4,451
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone is feeding his M7 vian usb from a Computer running Linux (either X86 or ARM architecture). I am looking into builing my own lean music renderer with a SBC and would like to know whether anyone has experience whether that works with the Master 7.

babaaurhum

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #2,370 of 4,451
does the master 7 hdmi works with standard TV hdmi cable to the OR5/DI-2014?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back