Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Dec 28, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,386 of 4,451
  I have a couple sheets of AB5100(non-S), but I have next to no clue what to do with it. I've also got an 8"x11" sheet of Mu-Metal, a couple sheets of ERS paper, and some copper foil tape; yes, I kinda went to town on buying that **** up. Let's hope the dollars add up to some sound improvement.

Anyway, I don't have my system together right now so I can't actually do anything, but I'd appreciate anyone's advice on where the best places to put those things would be and any combinations that you've found useful :)

Looks like you spent quite a ton of $ on these materials, they add up quite abit.

Here's a few threads which will give you some tips:
http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/can-the-guys-whove-used-emirfi-paper-sotm-3m-etc.-post-photos-here-of-how-you-did-it/
http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/emirfi-treatment/
http://jplay.eu/forum/computer-audio/the-battle-against-harshness/

here's a photo of how this guy does it:
http://www.highend-audiopc.com/pictures/mytek-dac.jpg

ERS Paper:
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag163/richard_j_dale/IMG_0044_zpse915ed63.jpg

though my recommendation when apply tweaks/shielding like this, try to do it in small quantity/step by step as tweaks can affect sound quality adversely. If anything doesn't sound good, you can rollback/reverse to the previous setup/configuration.

example: I tried using blutack to cover up clock generators crystals and found that it resulted in a more muddy/bassy sound.

Also some materials are conductive(i.e. copper foil tape) and it might cause short circuit if you are not careful with placement near electrical components. Also beware of the thermal design limits of the chips you are placing the tweaks on. I consulted with Kingwa(audio-gd) on the placing of the 3M asborber on the Master7's DSP(he say it was ok due to the low heat output of the dsp)

From what I understand is that mu-metal is used to block off magnetic radiation(use it at transformers and other magnetic generating sources), ERS paper can be used in hard to place areas(i.e. PC casing) and the non-conductive 3m EMI asborber is usually placed on top of semiconductor chips.

The other tweak worth trying is audiophile grade fuses and power cords(either medical grade or audiophile aftermarket ones) or even power conditioning/regeneration etc.

I replaced my power cord tin-plated fuses with silver-plated cooper bussmann ones and they sounded better.

Even my schitt wyrd is extensively modded internally with 3m AB5100S.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #2,387 of 4,451

I have had an interesting testing day today. I have tried 4x oversampling, filter put on 90 dB, PLL off and ditching on – not so good. I tried 1x oversampling, filter put on 90 dB, PLL off and ditching on – sound pretty good. Then I put 1x oversampling, filter on 60 dB, PLL off and ditching on – sounds great. Finally I pull out the USB cable on the board and it made a difference to the better.

I’m going to listen to this setting for a few days and then switch back to default setting and see if my very promising initial impressions last.  

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #2,388 of 4,451

I have had an interesting testing day today. I have tried 4x oversampling, filter put on 90 dB, PLL off and ditching on – not so good. I tried 1x oversampling, filter put on 90 dB, PLL off and ditching on – sound pretty good. Then I put 1x oversampling, filter on 60 dB, PLL off and ditching on – sounds great. Finally I pull out the USB cable on the board and it made a difference to the better.

I’m going to listen to this setting for a few days and then switch back to default setting and see if my very promising initial impressions last.  

I pulled the USB32 cable off today.  I was waiting for someone to try -50dB filter stop so gave that a listen for a short while.  I seem to get more bass on -90dB plus the highs are very smooth as well.  

4X oversampling sounds a lot like 8X.  The highs are more crystalline versus 1X but detect some edginess.  Vocal quality is where I can hear the most difference between oversampling settings for some reason.    

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #2,389 of 4,451
I am also in the same boat that there's not much difference between 8x and 4x oversampling.

Oversampling has it's own strengths, especially when it comes to playback of not so well recorded/master/encoded sources like low bit rate internet radio/stream. I feel oversampling sounds more forgiving to the ears. With 1x, listening fatigue sets in earlier if source recording isn't good enough.

But what I find is that plankton details stand out more with 1x. Especially with shaker instruments. You can hear individual beads moving about(more texture/speed) vs oversampling, where it sounds more washed out/slower. 1x somehow makes M7 into a plankton detail monster vs the dark sounding, refined sound of the default 8x(e.g. sports suspension vs air suspension).

Another important point is that 1x seems to bring about vocal magic(with M9 + HD800 in balanced mode), where you get to hear the throat of the singer. As in you get to hear/feel if the singer is straining his/her vocal cords. You can literally detect the tiniest of changes in the voice tone.

Interestingly enough, DSD files(conversion done by Foobar SACD plugin) sounds better with 1x/-50db setting(vs 8x/-130db), 1x seems to bring out the smoothness of DSD even more.

Also I tried disabling the DSP by using the bypass jumper, and everything sounded very dull with no life.

1x, -50db, PLL off, Dither on will be my final settings. No further adjustments, less future equipment changes.

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,390 of 4,451

1x, -50db, PLL off, Dither on will be my final settings. No further adjustments, less future equipment changes.

Who would of ever thought screwing with the DSP jumpers would improve our listening experiences with the M7.  I am sure glad I waiting until I got best sound at the default settings before attempting.  Otherwise my perceptions may have been a lot different.  I can see though that some may prefer one DSP jumper setting over another.  Any USB32 users try DSP jumpers and have positive/negative experiences?

I'm going to try -50dB again for careful audition over several days.  Will be watching out for aliasing artifacts at 1X sampling.   

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #2,391 of 4,451

Who would of ever thought screwing with the DSP jumpers would improve our listening experiences with the M7.  I am sure glad I waiting until I got best sound at the default settings before attempting.  Otherwise my perceptions may have been a lot different.  I can see though that some may prefer one DSP jumper setting over another.  Any USB32 users try DSP jumpers and have positive/negative experiences?

I'm going to try -50dB again for careful audition over several days.  Will be watching out for aliasing artifacts at 1X sampling.   

Here's some discussion I found on DSP jumper settings(although not based on M7 units):

Originally Posted by FauDrei  (answering the previous post)

You pretty much got it right. I'd just add a couple of comments:

Switches 2 and 3.  Stopband Attenuation: how much "music energy" will slip out over stopband frequency. -130dB means almost nothing "gets away". OTOH, -90dB and -50dB are "letting some energy out" and in the process altering the balance of perceived audible focus and ambiance - lesser attenuations tend to have somewhat more "relaxed" sound. Worth experimenting.

Switches 4 and 5.  Oversampling: it's about upper frequencies (treble). Lower the OS - greater the treble rolloff and lower treble definition (details). Some would argue less OS or no OS at all sound more natural. IMO "more natural" in majority of the cases is euphemism for "filtering in my DAC sucks so no filtering sounds better" (please do not shoot - it is just IMO). A-GD DACs tend to do OS and filtering right and having full OS (8x) means you are having detailed, crystal clear, not at all harsh treble. Thus my "dull NOS" comment - you are missing so called "treble sparkle" (or treble at all). Again, just IMO.

Switch 6.  Data dithering: if you feed DSP-1 with 16 bit data and dithering is on, DSP-1 will "expand" 16 bits to 24 bits. This would be done not just by adding 8 zeroed bits, but 16 bit value will be relatively expanded to full 24 bit range. Dithering will be used to lower the relative error of such expansion. It should have no effect if DAC is fed with 24 bit data. Another setting worth experimenting with. Dithering slightly refines and "rounds" the sound, in certain cases no dithering can be perceived as more detailed. Try and decide for yourself.

Everything over dip 7 is DAC dependent and sets up DSP-1 module to work with it's host DAC.

FYI, Ref-1 is Reference One - first A-GD dac that had DSP-1 module. Ref-2 is Reference Two - discontinued twin brother of Ref-1 which used Philips TDA1541 DAC chips instead of PCM1704.

Hope this clarified DSP-1 a bit more.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/519510/diamond-vs-neutral-audio-gd-dacs-who-has-compared-or-are-dsp1-revisions-more-crucial/120#post_7085980

I am glad you are having such a nice time with the DAC19DSP!

For those looking to an even more natural sound, they can try the -90db and -50db stopband settings. Both settings are far more relaxed and natural sounding than the stock -130db setting: they not only seem to allow for a better flow of the music but they also seem to offer a better impulse response (less pre-ringing?). The -50db has the more "analog feel" but there is a loss of sense of focus. The -90db was the best compromise in my system but other people might have different results.

The -130db might provide better measurements but the lower settings (-90db and -50db) seem to offer a slower roll-off filters, with even less "stress" on the high frequencies. 
If Kingwa were ever to release a dsp1v6, it would probably be better to use an even slower roll-off filter characteristics. I believe that most of his PCM1704uk based DAC buyers care more about the sound than the measurements (or else they would have bought one of the newer Sigma Delta chips).

In any case, enjoy the sound of your new dac19dsp! 
beerchug.gif

more reading(wall of text):
http://www.tweak-fi.com/apps/blog/show/5527032-mini-review-dsp1-v5-upgrade-for-the-audio-gd-dac19dsp

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?8058-Question-about-PLL-and-digital-filters

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,392 of 4,451
Happy New Year everyone!   I'm done with jumpers for moment.  Very worthwhile experiment and encourage everyone to give them a try.  I settled on -90dB filter as best compromise with my equipment.  -50dB was too loose sounding, highs slightly fuzzy, and bass a little muted.  No right or wrong here - give them all a spin and find out what you prefer soundwise.

It took two years of constant tweaking but finally the M7 is living up to its billing as the world's best affordable multi-bit DAC.  At this place in time I cannot be more pleased with my audio setup.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,393 of 4,451

Yes Happy New Year to all!

I’m back on 8x oversampling right now, filter put on 130 dB, PLL off, ditching on and disconnected USB cable. The -50dB was the most reveling, open and mid centric, but as DACladder point out the image is smeared out and the lower treble can be slightly edgy on some music plus the sound is leaner. The 1x, 90 dB is smoother, warmer, superior image and have better coherence to my ears.

To me none of the settings nail it all, so it all about finding a compromise that will work on different music and headphones. The 8x oversampling and filter put on 130 dB sounds overall best followed closely by 1x oversampling and filter put on 90 db. I will try the later again when I got my DHC ACSS cable (I ordered like 10 weeks ago) and maybe a “better” HDMI cable. I think the ACSS and HDMI I have sound a bit sterile.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #2,394 of 4,451
Very interesting discussion! Back in the days with my Reference ONE, I was playing with these settings extensively but finally came back to the default 8x oversampling and -130dB... This was the most (best) universal setting for all styles and recordings. Now with the Master 7, I have no need to play with these settings again (maybe later :) ) except for the PLL OFF that proved to be OK with the Offramp 5 and M7. But it is really interesting to see all the experiments!

Arctinoise: Try the XLR connection first! I do not use A-Gd amp anymore but I preferred XLR over ACSS with my Phoenix.

DACLadder: Very nicely written! Do you you use a USB card (eg. from JCat) ? This was my last tweek that really helped to increase the SQ of my Off5>M7 setup to a new level.

All the best in the New Year to you all!!

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2,395 of 4,451
  Very interesting discussion! Back in the days with my Reference ONE, I was playing with these settings extensively but finally came back to the default 8x oversampling and -130dB... This was the most (best) universal setting for all styles and recordings. Now with the Master 7, I have no need to play with these settings again (maybe later :) ) except for the PLL OFF that proved to be OK with the Offramp 5 and M7. But it is really interesting to see all the experiments!

Arctinoise: Try the XLR connection first! I do not use A-Gd amp anymore but I preferred XLR over ACSS with my Phoenix.

DACLadder: Very nicely written! Do you you use a USB card (eg. from JCat) ? This was my last tweek that really helped to increase the SQ of my Off5>M7 setup to a new level.

All the best in the New Year to you all!!

Yes I have read your posts
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you still have your AGD NOS DAC?

I have tried the XLR connection, it why I know that the ACSS sounds a bit more sterile, but also more transparent and faster. I bought the ACSS cable from DHC two month ago but still haven’t got it and don’t know if it will sound good or not, but I really hope it will!

I advise you to disconnect the USB cable on the board if you haven’t done it, it sounds clearly better IMO.  

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,396 of 4,451

Seaice did you buy a battery PSU from JCAT or from some other company and how does it improve the SQ in your setup?

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,397 of 4,451
Quote:

Yes I have read your posts
smily_headphones1.gif
Do you still have your AGD NOS DAC?

I have tried the XLR connection, it why I know that the ACSS sounds a bit more sterile, but also more transparent and faster. I bought the ACSS cable from DHC two month ago but still haven’t got it and don’t know if it will sound good or not, but I really hope it will!

I advise you to disconnect the USB cable on the board if you haven’t done it, it sounds clearly better IMO.  

Yes, I have the NOS DAC but do not use it :) I tested it carefully against my Master 7 and the M7 is the clear winner!

I will disconnect the USB cable soon... had no time for this yet :) Thank you! I am really curious about the sound.

Seaice did you buy a battery PSU from JCAT or from some other company and how does it improve the SQ in your setup?

The JCAT battery PSU is sold out and probably discontinued, as I understood... I finally bought the Bakoon BPS-02 battery PSU but can not comment about SQ improvements much because I have not done an A-B comparison yet (with/without the PSU) and do not plan it soon anytime soon, sorry.. After a burn-in period, I have a feeling that the bass is a bit better but that is just an impression and comparison done from my memory... nothing exact :) The JRiver USB card itself was a great improvement and the battery PSU is an improvement as well but rather a small one (not sure yet).

And one final comment about the ACSS vs XLR vs RCA. I always thought that ACSS was sterile and liked XLR more in the times with Phoenix. And this may sound strange but my final connection is RCA because I finally found an ideal amp for my HD800 and it is RCA only :) But I do not care because the sound is the best I have ever got from my HD800
beyersmile.png

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #2,398 of 4,451
  Quote:

Yes, I have the NOS DAC but do not use it :) I tested it carefully against my Master 7 and the M7 is the clear winner!

I will disconnect the USB cable soon... had no time for this yet :) Thank you! I am really curious about the sound.

The JCAT battery PSU is sold out and probably discontinued, as I understood... I finally bought the Bakoon BPS-02 battery PSU but can not comment about SQ improvements much because I have not done an A-B comparison yet (with/without the PSU) and do not plan it soon anytime soon, sorry.. After a burn-in period, I have a feeling that the bass is a bit better but that is just an impression and comparison done from my memory... nothing exact :) The JRiver USB card itself was a great improvement and the battery PSU is an improvement as well but rather a small one (not sure yet).

And one final comment about the ACSS vs XLR vs RCA. I always thought that ACSS was sterile and liked XLR more in the times with Phoenix. And this may sound strange but my final connection is RCA because I finally found an ideal amp for my HD800 and it is RCA only :) But I do not care because the sound is the best I have ever got from my HD800
beyersmile.png

Thanx Seaice and yes the JCAT battery PSU is sold out, but they are going to make a new batch soon.

The JCAT battery PSU can be used to power both the USB card and one SSD. If you don’t think that your Bakoon is making much improvement with the USB card you can always try to use it for your SSD instead. I have read that it makes (much) better use on the SSD, but can’t confirm if it true.

A better amp or at least better matching amp will trump a balanced connection in my book as well
beerchug.gif

Edit: Link to a review on JCAT USB Card, Battery Power Supply and USB Cable. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0115/JCAT_USB_Card_Battery_Power_Supply_USB_Cable.htm

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #2,399 of 4,451
  .DACLadder: Very nicely written! Do you you use a USB card (eg. from JCat) ? This was my last tweek that really helped to increase the SQ of my Off5>M7 setup to a new level.

Hi seaice... Hope the HDMI board is still working well for you.   Other than a Schiit Wyrd I have not tried different USB sources into the Off Ramp besides the Dell computer USB port.  The Wyrd is currently out of the circuit and really didn't think it added much to my setup.   I am though breaking in a new Windows 8.1 machine with a fancy power supply.  I'll give it a listen perhaps this weekend and compare.  But I would not rule out a different USB board in the near future as the next item to try. 

Like Articnoise stated the jumper settings are each a compromise and have subtle rather than profound affects on sound.  And have not found a holy grail setting for any.  If you prefer more analog like sound then 1X oversampling is worthwhile to try.  4X and 8X the highs are more crystalline but detect some congestion in vocals that seems relaxed at 1X.  Perhaps a better USB source would improve 4X and 8X in my system.  PLL bypass with a low-jitter setup like you have is noticeable as the pace, rhythm, attack improved in my system.  The filter bandstops were hardest to judge but with -90dB and 1X oversampling vocals just sound right and the best low level detail so I just stopped there for now.   So go slow if you dare and start with PLL bypass only as my first suggestion.

Jan 3, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #2,400 of 4,451
Thanks for the links. I've read and joined the discussion on 2 of those topics, but I appreciate finding the 3rd one. I'll read up and see what I can come up with.

As for prices, I got them over time and bought them in deals, so luckily I paid nowhere near retail. Any sane person would still eyeball me for buying such expensive "craft paper and fridge magnets", as my wife called them, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back