Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jan 3, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #2,401 of 4,451
Evillamer, show us what your modded Wyrd looks like inside, or link to some pictures of it. I'm still wondering about picking up one of those...

I just bought a Gustard U12, but it's been reported that improved USB power doesn't really do much for it. I've also already got my iFi iUSB on hand to be able to have a look, but the Wyrd still sounds interesting to try...

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #2,403 of 4,451
has anyone tried PPA USB  with LPS for their computers like CAPS?

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,405 of 4,451
the LPS by TeraDak is close to 1k usd shipped. I wonder how good is the effect.

I use a lot of hidiamond cables including the 1m HDMI BIG. I found their HDMI BIG very good. Its like putting on DSLR.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2,406 of 4,451
  has anyone tried PPA USB  with LPS for their computers like CAPS?

I use a PPA V2 card powered by a 5V line out from my TeraDak ATX LPS. Sounds great - and the PPA V2 card is quite a good value. I do not have a CAPS design computer, there seem to be a few basic styles so you would need check how the card would fit the case/MB and how you would route the power to the card.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #2,407 of 4,451

I use a PPA V2 card powered by a 5V line out from my TeraDak ATX LPS. Sounds great - and the PPA V2 card is quite a good value. I do not have a CAPS design computer, there seem to be a few basic styles so you would need check how the card would fit the case/MB and how you would route the power to the card.

are you using the teradak 280W ATX supply to power the CAPS and also the PPA V2 at the same time ?

I have seen that Paul Pang modded the motherboard with better clocks and also the SATA SSD card too. I was thinking that the PPA v2 card be connected to a 2014 DI inside the CAPS chassis and voila there is a dedicated HIFI I2S computer Audio.

i wonder how good it is compared to a Aurender X100

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,408 of 4,451

It's pretty hard to get a comparsion. Given that the OR5 with all bells(turboclock, hdmi reg, mute mod) wil cost USD$2399 vs the more afforable ~USD$854 for Hydra X.

though I must say my biggest sound quality upgrade for Master 7 was ditching the onboard VIA32 USB(which sounds good, but not outstanding) and switching to using the HDMI I2S Hydra X. Schitt Wyrd in the chain also helped to improve the focus(without adding coloration).

Hydra X to Master 7 via Coax SPDIF or Optical don't sound as "focused" as using the I2S, coax also has a more warmish sound(this is with audio-gd factory BNC cable). Also by disabling PLL, the tuddy sounding bass via I2S was gone.

And switching to NOS/-60db roll off, the Master 7 > ACSS > Master 9 > Balanced > HD800 combination is pretty much neutral and pure analog sounding as I can perceive.

Played around with the "Data Dither" switch, and I find that it's best to leave it on, M7 sounds more "higher resolution" with dither on.

Hi evillamer,
are you using "dacladders i2s hdmi kit" or the "Audio-GD i2s HDMI kit" on your M7 with the Hydra?
Yesterday I replaced the RJ45 with the "Audio-GD i2s HDMI kit" by following the instructions on audio-gd homepage and ordered a Hydra Z. Crossing my fingers, hope this works! 

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #2,409 of 4,451
  Hi evillamer,
are you using "dacladders i2s hdmi kit" or the Audio-GD i2s HDMI kit" on your M7 with the Hydra?
Yesterday I replaced the RJ45 with the i2s HDMI kit by following the instructions on audio-gd homepage and ordered a Hydra Z. Crossing my fingers, hope this works! 

That's cool lieberung - can't wait to read your impressions of the pair.

beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,410 of 4,451

That's cool lieberung - can't wait to read your impressions of the pair.

beerchug.gif

Ill post my findings. 
beerchug.gif

Its quite easy to replace the interface but I guess my Audio-GD product guarantee is lost since I broke the seal to open the box. Here is a couple of pics from the operation yesterday for those who are interested;

Out with the RJ45. The modules side by side.

The HDMI kit fastened, connected to i2s connector and the power to the 3.3v (instructions here )

The back plate with i2s HDMI connector.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #2,411 of 4,451
Using audio-gd i2s kit.

Do note that monoprice redmere hdmi cable won't work for I2S. You need regular hdmi cable that doesn't contain any special processing chip.

When I am back home, I shall upload the photo of my modded master7 internals.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #2,412 of 4,451
Using audio-gd i2s kit.

Do note that monoprice redmere hdmi cable won't work for I2S. You need regular hdmi cable that doesn't contain any special processing chip.

Cool. 
regular_smile .gif
 and thanks for the tip. I read somewhere that users off the OR5 had some noise issues (if I remember it correct?) between tracks but that EA made a muting mod to fix this issue. 
Whats your impressions of the Hydra ? Any issues or is everything working flawless?

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #2,413 of 4,451
There's an Audio GD m7 for sale on the used market here.
Its really tempting, but im not sure... 
I will be getting the Schiit Ragnarok, so I thought maybe wait for Schiit Yggdrasil... 
Whats your guys thought? Is the M7 that good that I should just buy it? :D

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #2,414 of 4,451

are you using the teradak 280W ATX supply to power the CAPS and also the PPA V2 at the same time ?

I have seen that Paul Pang modded the motherboard with better clocks and also the SATA SSD card too. I was thinking that the PPA v2 card be connected to a 2014 DI inside the CAPS chassis and voila there is a dedicated HIFI I2S computer Audio.

i wonder how good it is compared to a Aurender X100

Hi, my TeraDak model is ATX-210, I am powering a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H motherboard with I5-4670t (passive cooling, NOFAN). Also the LPS is powering 1 SSD, 1 mSATA (in SATA-direct adapter) and the PPA V2 card. I requested the extra 5V line with the appropriate connector for the PPA card from TeraDak and they provided this at no extra charge.

Note that TeraDak is starting to ship a bunch of these ATX units to users on various forums so there should be some user comparisons with other ATX power supplies available soon.
If your computer power is now working OK, options would be to use some cheaper method to power the PPA card, such as battery pack or smaller 5V LPS... or just first try without separate power as there may be some upgrade just getting off the motherboard USB.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,415 of 4,451

Thanx Seaice and yes the JCAT battery PSU is sold out, but they are going to make a new batch soon.

The JCAT battery PSU can be used to power both the USB card and one SSD. If you don’t think that your Bakoon is making much improvement with the USB card you can always try to use it for your SSD instead. I have read that it makes (much) better use on the SSD, but can’t confirm if it true.

A better amp or at least better matching amp will trump a balanced connection in my book as well
beerchug.gif

Edit: Link to a review on JCAT USB Card, Battery Power Supply and USB Cable. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0115/JCAT_USB_Card_Battery_Power_Supply_USB_Cable.htm

Thanks for the review! I think that the Bakoon PSU adds something but it is not so noticeable as the JCAT USB card itself. I will definitely keep the Bakoon for the JCAT card. I agree with the review, it is very well written, my observations are similar and I have to cite the reviewer here: "The sound without the battery power supply was very nice. The sound was already warm, clean and musical without obvious digital brightness or haze. However, once the battery took over the juice delivery, it was like one's eyeglasses were updated with new prescription. Image outlines snapped into focus with more density and palpability to musicians, and the already-low noise must have dropped further because there was simply much more clarity, resolution, and vibrancy. Bass also snapped into focus with better definition and pitch, keeping rhythm a lot more "on time." There was no downside to using the battery supply, except for the substantial cost obviously."

Quote:
  Hi seaice... Hope the HDMI board is still working well for you.   Other than a Schiit Wyrd I have not tried different USB sources into the Off Ramp besides the Dell computer USB port.  The Wyrd is currently out of the circuit and really didn't think it added much to my setup.   I am though breaking in a new Windows 8.1 machine with a fancy power supply.  I'll give it a listen perhaps this weekend and compare.  But I would not rule out a different USB board in the near future as the next item to try. 

Like Articnoise stated the jumper settings are each a compromise and have subtle rather than profound affects on sound.  And have not found a holy grail setting for any.  If you prefer more analog like sound then 1X oversampling is worthwhile to try.  4X and 8X the highs are more crystalline but detect some congestion in vocals that seems relaxed at 1X.  Perhaps a better USB source would improve 4X and 8X in my system.  PLL bypass with a low-jitter setup like you have is noticeable as the pace, rhythm, attack improved in my system.  The filter bandstops were hardest to judge but with -90dB and 1X oversampling vocals just sound right and the best low level detail so I just stopped there for now.   So go slow if you dare and start with PLL bypass only as my first suggestion.

Hi DACLadder,
yes, your HDMI board is in place and working great. Thanks again!

In my case, the JCAt USB card brought a very noticeable improvement and I can recommend it to anyone with the Off5 and M7 combo. The battery PSU adds something more but it is not so distinct.

I already use the PLL bypass and it has no negative effect on the sound so it will stay permanently. I am not sure about the other settings and I am so lazy after all holidays :) I may try it later :)

Overally, I am very happy with my current setup with no plans to upgrade. There is only one DAC that tempts me and scares my wallet at the moment - the upcoming HE-7 edition :) http://audio-gd.com/HE/HE-7/HE7CH.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back