Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jan 5, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #2,431 of 4,463
  Hi fredikj,

Had thought of trying an Audiobyte Z as a possible step up from my Audio-GD DI-2014 I2S to my M7. But thought I needed to get another DIY I2S board from Kingwas to make the Audiobyte Z match.

I thought the Audio-GD I2S input board that I DIY fitted to my M7 had a different HDMI 'pin in' to the Audiobyte Z HDMI out ?. I recal Audio-GD/Kingwa stating somewhere that his board was set to match the OffRamp 5.

Maybe I got the wrong

Frizzup

Yes, that was my thought as well; upgrading from my DI-2014 to get away from USB32. I hoped that Audio-GD would have a better USB32 driver over time, but I'm giving up on Audio-GD USB. I'm sure it sounds good, but together with Jplay the driver is just bad. I confirmed the pin-out of the Hydra Z with Audiobyte before I got it. As I have understood it both Hydra Z and OR5 can use a straight through standard HDMI cable, while PS Audio and Pink Faun's I2S PCIe bridge will work, but they have swapped the left/right channel. With Pink Faun, they can fix this on the board. My Pink Faun card is back at Pink Faun for modification from TTL to LVDS and swapping left/right... :wink:

-Fredrik

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #2,432 of 4,463
  Ive bought a Audio GD Master 7 and should get it this week! Very excited! 
Is it really worth getting a Audiobyte Hydra Z or any other interface?

Try to get one that has HDMI I2S Interface.(if your Master 7 comes with it).

I2S based:
Offramp 5
Gustard U12
Hydra X/Z
Pink Faun Bridge

Do some research before hand. Not all I2S interface will work out of the box and some may require manufacturer modification.

As for the worth. It really depends on how much more "sound quality" you want to extract from the Master 7. The onboard USB with upgraded firmware will sound good enough(if you compare with coax,optical,BNC input from DAP, other soundcard) , however once you upgrade to I2S input, it brings quite more sonic focus(vs less hazy) to the sound, as in your ears can pick up more instrument placement and soundstage/background reverberation from the music.(my own experience with Hydra X) 

That being said, the PC hardware/software part of the chain plays a crucial role to getting good sound. PC performance does affect sound quite abit, especially if your PC has high jitter/latency/noise due to hardware/software issues. Even the choice of ASIO/WASAPI/Directsound has a major impact to the sound quality.

Lastly you should pay attention to your AC power cleaniness: Isolating DAC power plug away from other noisy devices(free tweak), Line conditioning, Power Regeneration and etc.

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #2,433 of 4,463

Yes, that was my thought as well; upgrading from my DI-2014 to get away from USB32. I hoped that Audio-GD would have a better USB32 driver over time, but I'm giving up on Audio-GD USB. I'm sure it sounds good, but together with Jplay the driver is just bad. I confirmed the pin-out of the Hydra Z with Audiobyte before I got it. As I have understood it both Hydra Z and OR5 can use a straight through standard HDMI cable, while PS Audio and Pink Faun's I2S PCIe bridge will work, but they have swapped the left/right channel. With Pink Faun, they can fix this on the board. My Pink Faun card is back at Pink Faun for modification from TTL to LVDS and swapping left/right... :wink:

-Fredrik

would be interested to know how does your DI-2014>I2S>M7  compare to your Pink Faun>I2S>M7(when your card gets back)

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #2,434 of 4,463

Try to get one that has HDMI I2S Interface.(if your Master 7 comes with it).

I2S based:
Offramp 5
Gustard U12
Hydra X/Z
Pink Faun Bridge

Do some research before hand. Not all I2S interface will work out of the box and some may require manufacturer modification.

As for the worth. It really depends on how much more "sound quality" you want to extract from the Master 7. The onboard USB with upgraded firmware will sound good enough(if you compare with coax,optical,BNC input from DAP, other soundcard) , however once you upgrade to I2S input, it brings quite more sonic focus(vs less hazy) to the sound, as in your ears can pick up more instrument placement and soundstage/background reverberation from the music.(my own experience with Hydra X) 

That being said, the PC hardware/software part of the chain plays a crucial role to getting good sound. PC performance does affect sound quite abit, especially if your PC has high jitter/latency/noise due to hardware/software issues. Even the choice of ASIO/WASAPI/Directsound has a major impact to the sound quality.

Lastly you should pay attention to your AC power cleaniness: Isolating DAC power plug away from other noisy devices(free tweak), Line conditioning, Power Regeneration and etc.

Hmpf...
So this DAC is really not for us who just wanna plug n play? :D 

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,436 of 4,463

It sure does! Just tried the v1.04 firmware, and it's the same - heavy distortion... I will keep talking to Audiobyte and hopefully they will come up with a solution!

Just remember to put a jumper over J22 inside the box, this puts the clock at 768Fs, so that the M7 can recognize it. I don't know if Audiobyte has documented this anywhere yet.

-Fredrik

The Master 7 requires 512Fs master clocks but you are correct that J22 is connected inside the Hydra Z to halve 1024Fs clocks.  If you get distorted audio then try adjusting phase (J24-J26) of the BCLK, WCLK, and DATA signals on HDMI I2S outputs.   And select PCM data only (no DSD).  May be easier to ask someone how to make the Hydra Z compatible with the "PS Audio" HDMI format.

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #2,438 of 4,463

The Master 7 requires 512Fs master clocks but you are correct that J22 is connected inside the Hydra Z to halve 1024Fs clocks.  If you get distorted audio then try adjusting phase (J24-J26) of the BCLK, WCLK, and DATA signals on HDMI I2S outputs.   And select PCM data only (no DSD).  May be easier to ask someone how to make the Hydra Z compatible with the "PS Audio" HDMI format.

Ah, yes, 512 not 768...! I have tried different combinations of the polarity jumpers, but I still only get distorted audio.

-Fredrik

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #2,439 of 4,463

Hmpf...
So this DAC is really not for us who just wanna plug n play? :D 

Nowadays, unless you've got a Mac or Linux system and a USB Audio Class 2 (UAC-2) compliant device, nothing is plug-and-play. You've always got to install the DAC drivers, so that's at least going to happen.

And many users in here think the USB32 Fall-2014 firmware has taken the on-board convertor to at least the level of the AP2+PP combo, worth about $1000 dollars. Lots of people are happy with it and can't see investing more in this area when they could put the funds to use elsewhere. The rest of the stuff about HDMI(differential) I2s is just going down the same path a bit further, and potentially more expensively. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2,440 of 4,463

-Fredrik

If you're feeling particularly generous or if you're ever really unhappy with that terrible Pink Faun card of yours, I can take it off your hands. You just send that thing my way and you'll never hear from it again...

I'm just putting that out there, you know, just in case.

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #2,441 of 4,463
  If you're feeling particularly generous or if you're ever really unhappy with that terrible Pink Faun card of yours, I can take it off your hands. You just send that thing my way and you'll never hear from it again...

I'm just putting that out there, you know, just in case.

Ha-ha! 
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'm actually quit fond of the Pink Faun card. The really BIG problem with it, is that Pink Faun will not develop (or pay to have developed) a driver for the card. As it is, it's compliant with the Intel HD Audio standard, so Windows detects it as a HD audio card and you can use WASAPI for output. What I really want is to use the card with KS or at least ASIO, but so far Pink Faun has not been willing to invest in a proper driver for the card. I have been able to manually install parts of an ATI Rage driver that uses the same PCIe-to-Audio chip as the Pink Faun card to enable the use of KS, but I feel that the ATI driver is bloated and not optimized for quality audio...

-Fredrik

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #2,443 of 4,463

Ah, yes, 512 not 768...! I have tried different combinations of the polarity jumpers, but I still only get distorted audio.

-Fredrik

Computer audio sure is a pain in the ass...  I had high hopes for the Hydra Z and almost purchased it on a few occasions.  So let us know if you ever get it working with the Master 7.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #2,444 of 4,463
Computer audio sure is a pain in the ass...  I had high hopes for the Hydra Z and almost purchased it on a few occasions.  So let us know if you ever get it working with the Master 7.

It sure is, but that's also part of the fun! ☺ I will keep at it and let you know.

Does anyone have any experience with M7 and the Gustard U12? Based on the pricing, it sure looks interesting...

-Fredrik

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2,445 of 4,463

Today I sent a spare agd i2s hdmi module and rj45 module to Nicolea i Audiobyte for him to check if there is some issues he might pick up. Remember that 'Evillamer'gets the hydra x to work with agd hdmi i2s. He seems very helpful so we will see if he find anything.
My dealer will also lend me a hydra z for demo when it arrives in about 14 days. I will keep you updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back