Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Dec 4, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #2,343 of 4,451
  Here is a new USB to i2S converter:

http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-z

Been on the rumour channel for a few weeks. Specs are solid, but no reviews in place nor pricing as far as I can see. Some Head-fi'ers tried the X version but I recall some had HDMI handshake and clipping problems. The 'Z' model is suspposed to solve those teething problems with X model. X Model was $699 no price for Z model. Still cannot buy through the e-store.

Watching

Frizzup

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2,344 of 4,451
  Been on the rumour channel for a few weeks. Specs are solid, but no reviews in place nor pricing as far as I can see. Some Head-fi'ers tried the X version but I recall some had HDMI handshake and clipping problems. The 'Z' model is suspposed to solve those teething problems with X model. X Model was $699 no price for Z model. Still cannot buy through the e-store.

Watching

Frizzup

You can purchase here for $1K looks like.  stereodesk.com/products/audiobyte-hydra-x

I had the X and sent it back because of some battery / charge issues.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #2,345 of 4,451
  My setup is
Jplay,
Audiphils Optimizer,
Windows 2012 R2 Core,
Intel I7 Control & Audio PC's
Paul Pang Clock Upgraded ASUS Motherboards
SSD's Battery powered
Meicord Cat 7 Ethernet Cable
2 x HDPlex 100W Linear Power Supplies 12V to CPU's and 19V to motherboards
Paul Pang USB V2 USB PCIE card battery powered
Double Helix USB cable
Audio-GD DI-2014, TXCO, HDMI/I2S kit installed
Wireworld V7 Silver Starlight HDMI
Audio-GD M7, with HDMI/I2S DIY Kit replacing RJ45 input
Double Helix Balanced ACSS Cables
Audio-GD M10
Mad Scientist NEO Power Cord and Inline Purifer on the M10
Terrilium-Q Black Speaker and Jumpers about to arrive to replace current NAIM NACA5 cables
Magnepan 3.7R's

Similar config:

Intel I7 Audio PC --> Mini-Client 2500 - http://atechfabrication.com/products/mini_client_2500.htm
Music Storage -->  Mass Storage 2500 - http://atechfabrication.com/products/mass_storage_2500.htm
J. River MC 20 w/ith J play,
Windows 2012 R2 Core with AudioPhile Optimizer 
TeraDek Custom Linear Power Supply 12V to PC, 12V to Storage unit, 9V to USB Card.
SOtM USB PCIE card
Cabledyne Reference Silve USB cable
Berkeley Audio Alpha USB Converter
Cabledyne Reference Silver AES Cable
Cabledyne Reference Silver XLR Interconnects
Audio-GD M7, with HDMI/I2S DIY Kit --> Audio-GD Mster 10 --> HE-6
AMR DP-777 (Duelund VSF Black Cast Capacitors) --> Eddie Current 445 --> HD800

Dec 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #2,346 of 4,451

Similar config:

Intel I7 Audio PC --> Mini-Client 2500 - http://atechfabrication.com/products/mini_client_2500.htm
Music Storage -->  Mass Storage 2500 - http://atechfabrication.com/products/mass_storage_2500.htm
J. River MC 20 w/ith J play,
Windows 2012 R2 Core with AudioPhile Optimizer 
TeraDek Custom Linear Power Supply 12V to PC, 12V to Storage unit, 9V to USB Card.
SOtM USB PCIE card
Cabledyne Reference Silve USB cable
Berkeley Audio Alpha USB Converter
Cabledyne Reference Silver AES Cable
Cabledyne Reference Silver XLR Interconnects
Audio-GD M7, with HDMI/I2S DIY Kit --> Audio-GD Mster 10 --> HE-6
AMR DP-777 (Duelund VSF Black Cast Capacitors) --> Eddie Current 445 --> HD800

@__@ could you plz tell us how much for that custom psu, really want one T__T

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,348 of 4,451
This morning my system sounded thin with light bass.  I thought I was listening to the old USB32 firmware.  Removing the M7 PLL bypass and immediately bass returned to full level. 

PLL bypassing is an interesting experiment.   When dialed in sounds good.  But something slipped today! 

The Audiobyte Hydra Z is an interesting design.  Dual clock domains where jittery data is fed into a large buffer array and then clocked out with ultra-stable oscillators. 

Edit: PLL bypassed for 2nd try.  Sounds OK.  Not sure what happened yesterday.  I tried different sampling rates but the same.  Perhaps the components woke up in a strange state.  Will monitor...   

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2,349 of 4,451
Hi all

I have a Grado PS1000 with the reference 10.32, happy with it, but wonder how far better the master 7 plus master 9 would be; has anyone been able to compare, is the difference just a margin or quite significant?

Regards
Vincent

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #2,352 of 4,451

@DACLadder 

What's the difference in your HDMI board and the HDMI kit Kingwa is selling - Different pin out or???

They are almost identical as far as I can tell with the circuit.  But function the same.  With minor differences here is what I can determine...

-- Different HDMI receiver chip.  I used the TI SN65LVDS348 and AGD some type of 048 receiver.   The 348 is a later designed chip with a wider input DC offset range.  Both chips are pin compatible.
-- Power supply filter components are different type.  I used ceramic bypass capacitors and AGD uses the familiar red WIMA type caps.  My board uses a ferrite bead for input the inductor while AGD has a coil.
-- HDMI Input termination.  I use 100 ohm termination while AGD uses 120 ohm resistors.
-- I used two ground connections - one for power and one for the signals versus a single ground wire for the AGD supplied kit.
-- I2S output pinout appears the same.
-- I used silver plated wires with Teflon insulation on my cables.  Not sure on AGD.

But again the circuit is very much identical.  You can argue the differences (components, board layout, connections).  AGD certainly had more time to optimize their design.  More than likely sound very much alike but haven't compared the AGD board.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,353 of 4,451
  @__@ could you plz tell us how much for that custom psu, really want one T__T

Have a look over on CA at the Group Buy thread for the "smart" version of Preproman's PSU by Teradak.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/group-buy-full-atx-linear-power-supply-unit-teradak-21810/

There are linked pictures on page 3 of the prototype, and pictures from the assembly of our orders on page 9. 

The Group Buy is closed now, but Teradak sells the normal units at normal retail on their site or by email. The pricing info is all in my first post. Besides Paul Hynes, and apparently Core Audio Technology though I've never heard of someone actually having their ATX PSU version, Teradak is the only company selling a full Linear ATX PSU that will work with all motherboards up to the current version of Haswell. 

And now with the Master 7 getting an HDMI-I2s upgrade, it's squarely in my sites. Damn. It's really cool that Kingwa has kept updating the USB firmware and now even the components of the Master 7. I don't really know of another DAC or builder that's done that. Unfortunately it'll be a little while before I've got the cash to get one, but I've got to start rationalizing now how having 3 DACs makes sense...

So far I'm going with "I need one for the office rig(inbound Geek Pulse xfi), then one for the home rig (PS-Audio PWD Mkii), and I need the M7 for..."

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #2,354 of 4,451
  Have a look over on CA at the Group Buy thread for the "smart" version of Preproman's PSU by Teradak.

Hey Ben,  What you mean "smart" version???  
wink_face.gif

Glad to see you got that group buy done..
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,355 of 4,451

Hey Ben,  What you mean "smart" version???  
wink_face.gif

Glad to see you got that group buy done..
beerchug.gif

Thanks Darryl, but it's not over yet... It's not like it turned into a ****strom, but there have been issues with their suppliers and we're looking at about a 1 month delay from the original date. Fine by me as long as we get some quality working units. I'll be sure to review it when they show up.

I'm not sure if you're kidding about the smart thing or not. But just to put it out there, these Linear ATX PSUs in the Group Buy, as well as the ones on Teradak's site, have some kind of logic in them that regulate the power-on sequence at start up. So these will work with all motherboards, more or less, and not just the unique ones that don't seem to care what order the power arrives to the different parts. The latter is like yours, which works great if you've got a compatible mobo, but not great if you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back