Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Apr 14, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #3,256 of 4,451

From what I understand, this is a hardware rather software update.
But besides the 768khz, I should be able to play 384khz right now according to what Articnoise said, and I do not seem to be able to go beyond 192khz.
Any idea why?

Could be new DSP HW is required as well.  I am just going by the buzz words on the AGD site.  "new DSP software design built in !"  "Will offer the upgrade for all Audio-gd product users who own the DSP + PCM1704 product  in near future!"  But a quick Email to Kingwa should answer your questions...

Apr 14, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #3,257 of 4,451
What I understand is that audio-gd has launched a new line of dacs, the 'NOS', and they will offer in future upgrade of the 'old' Master series to the specs of the new 'NOS' series.
And since anyway the amanero board does not accept more than 384, it is just impossible that without a hardware update the M7 could take an input higher than 384khz

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #3,258 of 4,451
As far as I know. Kingwa told me I would have to ship my m11 in to have it upgraded to NOS.
it has s dedicated clock added , as well as a firmware swap. This isn't a DIY easy thing and needs to be done at the factory.
So..... Expensive shipping would be involved. Consider this if you want to "upgrade" to the NOS.
It's a "side grade" really. It's not better or worse. It's different. And personally to me it like likely be an upgrade as I like the NOS sound. I run NOS on my M11 and kingwa also states that the new NOS settings are a bit different than NOS on the M11 and M7 respectively. Not comparable.

Apr 15, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #3,259 of 4,451
I really like the NOS idea. With software like HQPlayer one can use excellent close form filter making use of powerful computer hardware (some DSP can be offloaded to CUDA on graphics card).

May 11, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #3,260 of 4,451
I have a question about the best input for the M7.
There is consensus about two facts:
the Amanero USB card is better than the USB32 card (recent M7 mount the Amanero, old mount the USB32)
the USB over I2s through a digital interface sounds better than the standard USB 32 input.

I wondered whether anyone has compared the i2s (using an DI 2014 or other) with the Amanero USB card on the M7.

Reason for asking: I'm using my M7 with the DI 2014 and I was wondering whether replacing the M7 USB32 input card with the Amanero would result in improved SQ compared to actual set up.
thanks.

May 11, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #3,261 of 4,451
Good question. I have the amanero version and i don't known really if using a DI will be an improvement.

May 11, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #3,262 of 4,451
Hi, with NFB28 USB32 and MASTER 7 USB32 there is a great improvement through a DI-2014 CORE-R TCXO USB32.

May 11, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #3,263 of 4,451
Good question. I have the amanero version and i don't known really if using a DI will be an improvement.

Ask member @motberg he uses I2S input on M7 with Tanly DDC. He had DI-2014, at least, I thought he had it before.
There's a lot going on about DDC's. Some prefer XMOS devices, others Amanero, and I prefer Raspberry Pi / Hifiberry DAC+Pro option.

Standard Amanero / USB32 / external DI-2014 are way beyond what is possible today.............

XMOS thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

DDC in general, including RPI:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/797881/ddc-digital-usb-interfaces-xmos-or-amanero-combo384-based-raspberry-pi-hifiberry-dac-pro-reviews-comparison-modifications-and-usb-audio-in-general

Have fun 
wink_face.gif

May 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #3,264 of 4,451
Havn't been on this post but just want to say again what i use for my Master 7 set for NOS. Macbook pro running JRiver 21 to Regen to Intona isolater. Intona to Melodius USB converter. I2S output via eithernet to Master 7 via J45. Much better than Amarrow usb board in Master 7. Just picked up a Meridian Eplorer2 and am playing around with MQA. $299. Very good sound but no where near the Master 7. Waiting for a MQA decoder that I can feed to the Master 7. Probably long wait
Alan

May 14, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #3,265 of 4,451
Today I give 2 linear psu for master 7 tcxos,full separated,dont disturb the spdif transmitter chip anymore.
The sound much better,more 3d,all input sound almost the same quality,i2s just little better. I use now 9 choke total.

May 14, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,266 of 4,451
  I have a question about the best input for the M7.
There is consensus about two facts:
the Amanero USB card is better than the USB32 card (recent M7 mount the Amanero, old mount the USB32)
the USB over I2s through a digital interface sounds better than the standard USB 32 input.

I wondered whether anyone has compared the i2s (using an DI 2014 or other) with the Amanero USB card on the M7.

Reason for asking: I'm using my M7 with the DI 2014 and I was wondering whether replacing the M7 USB32 input card with the Amanero would result in improved SQ compared to actual set up.
thanks.

It probably depends on a number of factors not least of which what criteria ones has for "better" and secondary to this details about the setup eg. what kind of computer software, hardware, cabling.

May 17, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #3,268 of 4,451
  How does Master 7 match up with Stax SR-009, anybody using this?

Yes, I use the following combination: Master 7 > Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon > Stax 009
And I am really happy with it!

However, as always with the M7, a good digital transport is very important. I was thinking about upgrading to Schiit Yggdrassil when my M7 was sourced from M2tech Evo (One). But I recently bought Audio-GD DI-U8 with upgraded clocks (Crystek's CCHD-957) and I do not feel the urge to upgrade my DAC at the moment. I still would like to try different DACs in the future but I am not sure if I really need it. DI-U8 (BNC and especially I2S over HDMI) really improved the M7 to the level I am greatly satisfied with.

May 17, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,270 of 4,451
I have tried a lot of dacs. The Master 7 is still the best I have ever heard and that includes a DCS stack. I am now streaming most of the time and stream from a Macbook pro via Jriver 21 to a Melodious USB converter to the Master7 via I2S connection. Sounds stunning. The Melodious is better than the Master 7 internal USB converters
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back