Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
May 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,271 of 4,445
Very interesting, that's exactly the rig I am pondering! How's the bass and soundstage on that combination of M7/Carbon/009?

Both (the bass and the soundstage of M7) have improved with better digital transports... And not the bass and soundstage only...

Better digital transport for M7 usually means (my experience):

1. Bass is deeper, more accurate, more detailed, more flat, more real. Everything is more real (i.e.closer to real life).
2. Soundstage is more precise in all directions, you can localize everything better, e.g. position of instruments, absolute and relative distances of instruments and singers...
3. More details everywhere but not harsh - the good ones, still musical.
4. Extension in bass and highs.
5. Better highs.
6. Cleaner sound.

This is my long-term experience with several USB transports.

+ I also use JCAT USB card + Intonna USB isolator... These and other USB tweaks can also help.

May 17, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,272 of 4,445

Yes, I use the following combination: Master 7 > Mjolnir Audio KGSSHV Carbon > Stax 009
And I am really happy with it!

However, as always with the M7, a good digital transport is very important. I was thinking about upgrading to Schiit Yggdrassil when my M7 was sourced from M2tech Evo (One). But I recently bought Audio-GD DI-U8 with upgraded clocks (Crystek's CCHD-957) and I do not feel the urge to upgrade my DAC at the moment. I still would like to try different DACs in the future but I am not sure if I really need it. DI-U8 (BNC and especially I2S over HDMI) really improved the M7 to the level I am greatly satisfied with.

I agree on the importance of a good transport.

Do you prefer the Audio-GD DI-U8 to the Offramp 5?

May 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #3,273 of 4,445
I smashed my Offramp last year (or some power-related problem in our house did) that is why I bought the DI-U8 recently. And it is really great with the Crystek clocks. I am planning to send my Offramp for repair one day... But I am unable to compare these two directly till then.

May 18, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,274 of 4,445
My M7 is enjoying the benefits of the DI-U8 via HDMI. I can't begin to say how wonderful this combo is. I'm listening via a SPL Auditor and Beyer T1, both very revealing gear, and man do the high frequencies sound smooth and detailed. The bass is tight and detailed...all as described by seaice.

I'm replacing an Audiophilleo with PurePower. Really there is no looking back now.

If you are using USB32 or coaxial input take a look at the DI-U8.

May 19, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #3,276 of 4,445
If you are give 3new rail 3.3volt separated power for all tcxo in M7(usb32 also)then all input get the same.The sound quality much improved.If you haven't tried,you cant even  imagine!!!!

May 19, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #3,277 of 4,445
I wondered if that was the case. I could not imagine how external box and longer digital signal path would help unless for power supply or noise reduction.

May 19, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #3,278 of 4,445
Per the Audio-gd site...it's all about the power:

The DI-U8 had built in ultra high performance power supplied, include 5 groups class A PSUs , the class A PSUs had ultra high input impedance and low output impedance can block the disturb through power supplies effect the sound quality.

The DI-U8 had applied 3 groups PSUs supply the Xmos U8 chip , separate power supply for the core , I/O , PLL and clock . These processes made the performance and sound quality had much improved . Especial the clock and PLL power supplies, applied the negative-feedback power supply ( PSU chips or some Linear PSUs) or power supply common with other circuits will make the phase noise increase to large level and much degrade on sound quality . Our all class A PSUs are non-feedback design .

In the DI-U8, the SPDIF input controller chip had separate class A power supply . The Power supply is the source of anythings in audio world!

The DI-U8 gives off heat!  But it's worth it.  I have it stacked on top of the M7, just clearing the air vents, and have added some taller feet for better air circulation beneath.  It seems fine that way.

May 19, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #3,279 of 4,445
How do you find the DI-U8 compares to the built in USB?

May 19, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #3,280 of 4,445
How do you find the DI-U8 compares to the built in USB?

I have the USB32 module, not the Amanero. The DI-U8 is much better, no comparison really especially via HDMI.

I would really be curious to hear someone's comparison to the Amanero module.

May 20, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #3,281 of 4,445
I have the USB32 module, not the Amanero. The DI-U8 is much better, no comparison really especially via HDMI.

I would really be curious to hear someone's comparison to the Amanero module.

I can ask Kingwa I guess. DI U8 is fairly cheap so not big risk.

May 23, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #3,284 of 4,445

I asked Kingwa about DI-2014 (i2s hdmi) v.s. Amanero.
He said DI-2014 was "Slightly better". 

This means DI-U8 could only be better. 

Thanks, seems could be good solution especially with upgraded clocks, just possible to get a bit expensive once factor in a high end HDMI cable.  

Also seems a little redundant if the main advantage is the better power supply - why not just hook up to an external PSU?

I guess the other thing is that LVDS I2S over HDMI - the PSAudio style pinout (not the other ones), by way of being balanced signal is less affected by ground and might add some common mode noise rejection?

I don't know though - to me it looks like might be another case of fixing something (noise) and breaking something else (jitter) while better USB card with better clocks and power supply should in theory be step forward and not stepping back or wasting money on cables etc.

May 23, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #3,285 of 4,445
Quote:

I guess the other thing is that HDMI, by way of being balanced signal is less affected by ground and might add some common mode noise rejection?

Please call it LVDS I2S via HDMI connector pinouts to avoid confusion among the uninitiated.  Has nothing to do with the video HDMI standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back