Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Mar 25, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #3,196 of 4,451

Master 7 cannot take a HDMI video signal, only some HDMI audio that has the right pin out.

Read post #1541 Scott explain why there. 

thanks

so even the spliiter have 2 hdmi out , i mean i want use 1 output to my hdmi tv/lcd the other one to master 7 ( the tv handle the video data, master 7 handle the audio data)
still the master 7 can't process the data from my nvidia card? although nvidia card can passthrough video and audio pcm data.
need to find hdmi i2s converter then.
do you know the best hdmi i2s device for connect to master 7 for the best sound

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #3,197 of 4,451

thanks

so even the spliiter have 2 hdmi out , i mean i want use 1 output to my hdmi tv/lcd the other one to master 7 ( the tv handle the video data, master 7 handle the audio data)
still the master 7 can't process the data from my nvidia card? although nvidia card can passthrough video and audio pcm data.

I do not know much about this - but maybe you need something like this device and send the audio to the M7 via SPDIF:
"The HDMI de-embedder takes a player’s HDMI audio stream, extracts the PCM stereo and routes it through its SPDIF output, TOSLink or RCA coax, which is then connected via cable to a digital input source — such as a DAC."
http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html

I think if you try something like a separate USB>i2S convertor for audio - you may have audio/video sync problems.

I would hope there is some other high-end type of solution for your card, but maybe this type of splitter is some place to start. If nvidia has a user forum, that may be a good place to ask.... but trying to match the M7 i2S inputs will be very difficult, I suggest first checking options using a M7 SPDIF input....

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #3,198 of 4,451

I do not know much about this - but maybe you need something like this device and send the audio to the M7 via SPDIF:
"The HDMI de-embedder takes a player’s HDMI audio stream, extracts the PCM stereo and routes it through its SPDIF output, TOSLink or RCA coax, which is then connected via cable to a digital input source — such as a DAC."
http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/04/audiophile-review-hdmi-de-embedder.html

I think if you try something like a separate USB>i2S convertor for audio - you may have audio/video sync problems.

I would hope there is some other high-end type of solution for your card, but maybe this type of splitter is some place to start. If nvidia has a user forum, that may be a good place to ask.... but trying to match the M7 i2S inputs will be very difficult, I suggest first checking options using a M7 SPDIF input....

u just opened my eyes to see that is a hdmi device like that i will try some thanks again

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #3,199 of 4,451

thanks

My experience is that i2s input of the Master 7 sounds best. I have only tried the very expansive Offramp 5 (USB>i2S convertor). Audio GD has a less expansive USB>i2S convertor with the right HDMI pin out for the M7.

Many seems to like the Amanero USB. Have you tried it? Am frankly not so sure your Nvidia card are the best option for pure audio. USB input on the M7 and any of those: UpTone Audio Regen, Intona isolator, Sonore Sonicorbiter SE or Sonore microRendu are probable all better options. This is pure speculation as I have not personally tried any of them. You can still use the Nvidia card for video.

I don’t own the M7 anymore, but will most likely buy a Sonore microRendu with a liner PSU then its available. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #3,200 of 4,451
I'm trying to operate my Master 7 through a Windows machine which does not see it. I guess it is a matter of drivers but I'm confused from the audio-gd web page concerning drivers:
on the one hand it seems that drivers are needed only through usb, and I'm driving it through hdmi using the di-2014. On the other hand there is a plurality of drivers for Master 7 built till mid 2014 and nothing for later build.
So I think I have two questions:
which is the appropriate usb driver for a 2015 Master 7?
Which is the appropriate driver when using the di-2014 interface?
Thanks

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #3,201 of 4,451
The Master-7 does not support HDMI audio. A splitter like showed won't work.

It supports I2S signals (with master clock) and has 2 physical connectors: RJ-45 ("single ended") or - more recently - HDMI (balanced signaling). They just re-purprosed existing connectors/interconnects for convenience.

You definitely DON'T want the HDMI to SPDIF converter for the M7. The SPDIF inputs are pretty bad, and the computer's HDMI output is most likely terrible.

A good USB isolator (intona, for example) and Amanero USB input is most likely the best solution if you don't want to spend $4-5xx on a good USB-I2S converter.

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #3,202 of 4,451
The Master-7 does not support HDMI audio. A splitter like showed won't work.

It supports I2S signals (with master clock) and has 2 physical connectors: RJ-45 ("single ended") or - more recently - HDMI (balanced signaling). They just re-purprosed existing connectors/interconnects for convenience.

You definitely DON'T want the HDMI to SPDIF converter for the M7. The SPDIF inputs are pretty bad, and the computer's HDMI output is most likely terrible.

A good USB isolator (intona, for example) and Amanero USB input is most likely the best solution if you don't want to spend $4-5xx on a good USB-I2S converter.

About the intona, most certainly the best combo.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #3,203 of 4,451
thanks all about hdmii2s , anyhow i saw this smsl usb converter it have hdmi i2s out i post the image. will this work with master 7 without any modification

the price is cheap compare to gustard or melodius

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #3,205 of 4,451
I agree with PeterCraig...
the stock Audio-GD Amanero or XMOS inputs are probably pretty good already, so any attempt to upgrade SQ via an i2S input needs to be very well researched and it would help if you can do some DIY mods (like in the case of the Gustard.)

The stock SMSL does not appear to be compatible, the Audio-GD pins position is here: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/I2SdefinitionEN.htm

If I remember correctly, the Gustard and Melodius pins would also need to be modified to fit Audio-GD (I had both of these actually...), (note the Melodius uses a RJ45 style port for the i2S)

The Audio-GD DI-U8 could be considered... it is more expensive, but especially since it has 3 input types it offers some interesting flexibility that may come in handy if you will be using the DAC with various sources..
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DIU8/DIU8EN.htm

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #3,206 of 4,451
I put my MASTER 7 in I2S HDMI to my DI-2014 R-CORE TCXO, it already works very well.
wink_face.gif

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/source-dematerialisee-haute-fidelite-et-dac/dac-audio-gd-he7-t30067839-90.html

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #3,207 of 4,451
  thanks all about hdmii2s , anyhow i saw this smsl usb converter it have hdmi i2s out i post the image. will this work with master 7 without any modification

the price is cheap compare to gustard or melodius

Here we go again with a different pinout of "HDMI" I2S other than the popular "PS Audio" method.  The S.M.S.L I2S output definition makes no sense with a standard HDMI cable as the '+' signals of the differential pairs are driven on the Ground return lines of the cable!  I would avoid this USB converter for use with the Master 7.  The I2S input definition is like the Gustard U12 where two of the four signal pairs are backward.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #3,209 of 4,451
  Could anyone kindly tell me which carrier Audio-gd used to ship their products to USA? I've ordered a customized tube amp from a small manufacturer in China and would like to pick a good shipping option. Thanks!

--Tom

It was DHL for me on A-GD shipments 2 - 3 years ago.   At the time they were cheaper and only took a few days once released by customs at the point of origination. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back