Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Oct 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #76 of 878
Thanks- I am getting it sorted out with Kingwa. I did not realize they worked in one direction and not the other. Edwin (or whomever) did not realize this either apparently when I was ordering the Master-5 and the ACSS cable for it to work with the C10SE.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #77 of 878
I am hearing what BenBau was saying about 24/96. It's more than that with this amp, it's resolving to the extreme on good recordings but manages to keep it without fatigue.
Rush Moving Pictures 24/96 "Vital Signs" is visceral, clear and engaging with the D7000, volume be damned. Geddy's bass is something else, so clear.
Wow!

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #79 of 878
It doesn't add bass or warmth, it doesn't have a sound signature. If you want it to make bass-shy headphones sound fuller, it won't. However, it makes bass heavy cans like my D7000 better in the bass as it seems to refine it or tighten it up (whatever the term, it sounds better).
Listening to Jeffrey Luck Lucas, it's like he's standing right behind me singing in my ear. Pretty striking how real it sounds.

Oct 7, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #80 of 878
I'm almost at the 200 hours mark.
Did some real listening this afternoon.
"The Wall" 24/96 from Pink Floyd on my speakers. It was like listening to a surround system. The music was just EVERYWHERE. In the beginning I pressed the mute button a few times, because I was convinced someone was calling or was coming up the stairs. Amazing....

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #81 of 878
I am hoping to get my speaker rig going with this soon (Kingwa has been very helpful).
I am having the pause issues with the D7000 too- I keep thinking my daughter is walking up behind me but it's the music from the very far right or left- huge soundstage.
This unit is really tough on bad recordings- they sound really bad. Try some old Chris Isaak recordings, they sound like he recorded them on a radio shack cassette player. But the flip side is good recordings (or remastered stuff) sounds amazingly good.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #82 of 878
That's what I've experienced too. Bad music (like low bitrate mp3) really sounds bad.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #83 of 878
I got the ACSS connection working between the Master-5 and my C10SE. This was my fault mostly as I didn't realize the ACSS connection cannot work in that direction.
Kingwa sent detailed instructions with a marked-up image- some soldering and snipping and a redo of one end of the ACSS cable they sent (Neutrik 4-pin on the master-5 side) and all works great. Better than great actually. BenBau and I have some serious listening to enjoy. I sound like a love-sick fanboy copying his remarks but the sound is truly kind of spread out in a way that no headphone can replicate like speakers. Sound is delicate, refined, detailed, smooth.
Well done again Kingwa.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #84 of 878

Quote:
I got the ACSS connection working between the Master-5 and my C10SE. This was my fault mostly as I didn't realize the ACSS connection cannot work in that direction.
Kingwa sent detailed instructions with a marked-up image- some soldering and snipping and a redo of one end of the ACSS cable they sent (Neutrik 4-pin on the master-5 side) and all works great. Better than great actually. BenBau and I have some serious listening to enjoy. I sound like a love-sick fanboy copying his remarks but the sound is truly kind of spread out in a way that no headphone can replicate like speakers. Sound is delicate, refined, detailed, smooth.
Well done again Kingwa.

[size=medium]
Thanks for your initial impressions. 

How does the Master 5 sound compared to other amps in the market? Particularly, how does it compare to  the NFB10SE? What are the differences in SQ between your Ref 8 + Master 5 and the NFB10SE?
[/size]

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #86 of 878
You're right, it's not an official release. It was made by a friend with some crazy $10.000+ record player and a $$$$$ studio.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #87 of 878
Sounds good you guys.........speakers really show the level of detail in sound staging etc...it's hard to go back to cans (for me at least).

Peete.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #90 of 878
Well, it's been too long since the Phoenix was around. Suffice to say I don't feel any let down with the Master-5 and I can't be certain the Master-5 is an improvement over the Phoenix with headphones- don't take that for them being equal, it's just been too long since I had the Phoenix. However, going from the Roc to the Phoenix was interesting- the soundstage got wider with the Phoenix. This didn't necessarily mean better fidelity but a more spacious sound. The Master-5 sounds really good- that floating, 3D sound is pretty compelling (with speakers). This would be a good question for Kingwa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back