Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Oct 3, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #61 of 878
So how does it sound compared to other amps out there? I'm seriously considering this and can't wait for more detailed impressions on the Master 5.

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #62 of 878
Yes, I use the DI still, this system is computer based for music but I run my Blu-ray player (movies) and my HD radio tuner (NPR) through it as well.
I don't love the button approach (I can't reach over in the dark and adjust as easily but I'm getting the feel for it). But I understand the move- the knobs broke in transit and they were more money. Kingwa states it's better for SQ too, I don't know. All his volume systems have memory so you don't have to worry about it starting loud, it will start where it was left last or can start from level 0 (I think- maybe it's 1 not sure).

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #63 of 878
After about 80 hours burn-in I am really impressed. This amp is really something.

First the BASS, it's amazing. The bass is not only "louder", but it also goes to subsonic levels. Did someone secretly planted a sub into my headphones? As a pre-amp, my B&Ws are producing lows I have never heard; "O.K. you can tell me now, where did you hide the subwoofer".

In the high frequency range this thing also goes, where the Phoenix stops. Clarity, detail, space, it's all there. I always had a feeling something was missing (one of the primary reasons I upgraded). No harshness, no artificial "loudness", it's just MAGIC.

The extension of the sound spectrum is not a simple EQ-thing, there is really MORE music. What is truly amazing, is that there is more "blackness" between all these (extra) layers of sound. This is what the Phoenix made such a special amp and what was described here before by others. The Master-5 brings it to another level. The separation between the musical layers makes this the best amp I have ever heard. I do not believe music can sound better than this.

As expected, this amp does get hot, but because it's on top of my Ref.7, not as hot as my Phoenix. I can still touch it without burning my hands.

Another plus: the IR reception is a lot better. I don't have to point my Nevo directly at the amp. I can point in any direction and the Master listens.

This is an amazing amp and a worthy successor to the Phoenix. Respect to Kingwa for designing this wonderful amp.

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #64 of 878
I agree on the bass. Kind of surprised me. Not that it's boosted, no that at all.
BenBau-  I'm sure the Bryston is great, but ACSS to the Master-5 might be worth a try for you. I like most of what they produce but the amps are what awed me.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #66 of 878
I'm not sure how well the 6 would do with your D7000. I am on 07/99 with my D7000/ Master-5 and it's a nice volume. I can't go beyond 15-16 without ears hurting. I'm really glad I didn't go with the 6. Just an FYI.

Edit: Hooked up the DT770/600 and they require about 28-30 for similar volume as D7000 at 07 (both balanced).

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #69 of 878
According to the specs, the Phoenix does 900mW @ 600Ohm and the Master-5 does 600mW. Still, on my Phoenix the perfect volume was 45/70 and on the Master-5 it's 30/70. I guess it's because of the extended sound signature.

Tim, the sound is going to change drastically during the burn-in. The bass heaviness will slowly fade away. The bass will still be there, but more "subsonic". The highs will come and bring the sound in balance.
I did have the Master-1 monoblocks, but sold them after a year, because I found them to neutral (=boring). I use ACSS TO the Master-5 from my Ref.7 DAC. I think you mean FROM the Master?

One more thing about the sound. The difference between 16/44 and 24/96 is very clear now. On the Phoenix, high-def music was only a little bit better than the usual 16/44 FLACs, but on the Master-5 the difference is breathtaking.

By the way, did I already tell you I LOVE this amp?
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #71 of 878

Quote:
According to the specs, the Phoenix does 900mW @ 600Ohm and the Master-5 does 600mW. Still, on my Phoenix the perfect volume was 45/70 and on the Master-5 it's 30/70. I guess it's because of the extended sound signature.

Tim, the sound is going to change drastically during the burn-in. The bass heaviness will slowly fade away. The bass will still be there, but more "subsonic". The highs will come and bring the sound in balance.
I did have the Master-1 monoblocks, but sold them after a year, because I found them to neutral (=boring). I use ACSS TO the Master-5 from my Ref.7 DAC. I think you mean FROM the Master?

One more thing about the sound. The difference between 16/44 and 24/96 is very clear now. On the Phoenix, high-def music was only a little bit better than the usual 16/44 FLACs, but on the Master-5 the difference is breathtaking.

By the way, did I already tell you I LOVE this amp?
biggrin.gif

Yes, I meant to, not from.
I am worried now because I am looking at my Master-5 which has 4-pin ACSS output (large XLR style) and my C10SE has the smaller 3-pin ACSS inputs. I am wondering if I can do ACSS from the Master-5 to the C10SE (I told them this was the setup for me). I am waiting on responses from Kingwa.

I am waiting on posting any impressions for at least 3-4 days. Right now, it sounds very impressive through D7000 but the real test is the speaker setup for which I need ACSS cables yet apparently.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #72 of 878

Quote:
Yes, I meant to, not from.
I am worried now because I am looking at my Master-5 which has 4-pin ACSS output (large XLR style) and my C10SE has the smaller 3-pin ACSS inputs. I am wondering if I can do ACSS from the Master-5 to the C10SE (I told them this was the setup for me). I am waiting on responses from Kingwa.

I am waiting on posting any impressions for at least 3-4 days. Right now, it sounds very impressive through D7000 but the real test is the speaker setup for which I need ACSS cables yet apparently. 

Old connector on the right, new one on the left. Is this what you want?

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #73 of 878
No (that connector is no longer), they use an XLR on the master series and a mini type XLR on everything else. Check the pictures on the back of the Master-5 and the back of the C10SE.
The problem I see is, they use a 4-pin on the Master series and a smaller 3-pin on everything else so I am confused. I will let you know what Kingwa says.

Edit: Kingwa confirmed I cannot use the Master series with non Master series equipment via ACSS (other connections work).

Any one want to but my C10SE 
angry_face.gif
 ?

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #75 of 878

Hello

You cant use a master series pre or power amp with a non master series pre or power amp via acss connection.

You can however use any A-g acss dac with the Master series preamps via acss connection.

I have fed my Master 1 preamp from the acss outputs of a Reference 7.1, Reference 7HE, NFB-7 and NFB-8 without problems. You just need the right cables. The Master series preamps now have the new standard acss plugs on the inputs.

The acss outputs on the Master series preamps and inputs on the Master series power amps are via a 4 pin XLR connection.

I hope this is helpful.

Macrog

Quote:
No (that connector is no longer), they use an XLR on the master series and a mini type XLR on everything else. Check the pictures on the back of the Master-5 and the back of the C10SE.
The problem I see is, they use a 4-pin on the Master series and a smaller 3-pin on everything else so I am confused. I will let you know what Kingwa says.

Edit: Kingwa confirmed I cannot use the Master series with non Master series equipment via ACSS (other connections work).

Any one want to but my C10SE 
angry_face.gif
 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back