Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Dec 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #736 of 878
No I did not get any mod of HD800. I think it's because every component in the chain (Weiss DAC2, Master-9, HD800) is very transparent and unforgiving. So, it's "rubbish in, rubbish out". The aggressive treble only comes when the record is really really bad, and this configuration sounds exceptionally good in most of the music.

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #737 of 878
I feel,the same way. As I am sure the headphone while it was being developed had it's mods and concessions before it went into production . So I leave it alone like you.

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #738 of 878
Well, Tyll Hertsens at InnerFidelity, who adores HD800 says that there is a resonance or something in the treble that only will be addressed if the so called Anaxilus mod is done. It's basically a damping of the cup with felt.

When I heard the HD800 side by side with Audeze and HiFiMan orthodynamic headphones, it was pretty obvious that the HD800 had more than neutral amount of treble AND more problematic: the treble was dry sounding. A description Tyll Hertsens also uses BTW. This dryness to the treble is allegedly fixed with the mod.

Dec 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #739 of 878
On the flip side there's plenty of people around here who have tried the mod, and preferred the stock sound. I for one wouldn't give up the huge soundstaging of the HD800 for any other subtle improvements the mod may or may not bring.

-Daniel

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #740 of 878
As I have the headphone both the hd800 and the LCD,s . I cannot fathom how someone can remark that the hd800 is Brite and use the LCD,s 3 or any other . My point is the LCD,s are very mid and treble recessed compared to the hd800. So how can one be Brite and the other normal . As I respect tyle for his opinions and I generally agree with his reviews some how something makes no sense with this statement . And brittleness of the hd800 is it's virtue and if you want to tame it . Use. Tube amp or a ss amp with theta tube sound .

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #741 of 878
me too,I hope there's a little bit more bass compared to the Phoenix! thank you
MgMzZv

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #742 of 878
No I did not get any mod of HD800. I think it's because every component in the chain (Weiss DAC2, Master-9, HD800) is very transparent and unforgiving. So, it's "rubbish in, rubbish out". The aggressive treble only comes when the record is really really bad, and this configuration sounds exceptionally good in most of the music.

I think that's it - master 6 does not hide bad recordings, and is very revealing of upstream and downstream components. In my system I would say only a few badly recorded tracks have aggressive treble, burn in might help but some [bad] recordings will always sound bad. Anax mod version 2 can make the treble less prickly, but still prominent, while still sounding closer to stock than the original Anax mod.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #743 of 878
To me let it burn in a few weeks , but I do not expect it to change any though. But the unit must be on for a while like 20 to 30 mins . Warm to the touch for sure , now this will make a big difference in the sound. Now the M9 gives you what you put in and HD800 is brutal and it plays what it is. It's not an LCD type headphone , it's a ref grade tool. I would not mod it . Try a different music genre and see how it goes if all music has this or just some , it's the dac or TRANSPORT .

All DACS. Have some flaws in there processing and the highs might be your DACS flaw. The M7 is a little warmer type DAC and the PS Audio PWDMKII is cold and brutal. So pick your poison but do not pick the M9 or the HD800. Those two devices are on top of the game. Ps all reviewers have a sound preference and anyone who likes the LCD,s cannot be happy with the HD800. They are just two different universes . Borough a different dac from someone and try different music too.

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #744 of 878
  My new Master-9 arrived today, it sounds amazing even without running-in.

My system: Weiss DAC2 ------ Master-9 ------ HD800, all connected with XLR cable. DAC output level: +17dBu, Master-9 running in Low Gain.

I can hear a very big improvement compared to my previous Luxman DA-200.

This configuration sounds extremely spacious and transparent, with high sound density and good texture. Lots of details, but nothing to do with "clinical". On the contrary, it sounds smooth and musical. Imaging is very small and very precise.

The problem of this configuration is that the treble can be sparkling and aggressive  in some bad recorded tracks. Need more adjustment of cables, and need more running-in, of course.

In one word, I am in love with Master-9.

First congratulations with your Master-9. I have one also and share your thoughts.

I have solved the sparkling and aggressive bad recorded tracks with a plugin. It is the VST Redline Preamp from 112dB. (Vintage Grunge setting works for me.)

http://www.112db.com/redline/preamp/?demo

It is try before you buy and I have great results with it.

I must also say that the sound also have improved a lot since I got it. I am very happy!
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #745 of 878
May I ask what DAC you are using ?

Al d

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #747 of 878
That is cool they are good stuff . I have a few of there units. M7 M8. And a ref 10.32.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #749 of 878
Master 7. It is everything like the ref 10. But even more detail.

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #750 of 878

First congratulations with your Master-9. I have one also and share your thoughts.

I have solved the sparkling and aggressive bad recorded tracks with a plugin. It is the VST Redline Preamp from 112dB. (Vintage Grunge setting works for me.)

http://www.112db.com/redline/preamp/?demo

It is try before you buy and I have great results with it.

I must also say that the sound also have improved a lot since I got it. I am very happy!
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks for your recommendation. I will have a look at it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back