Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
May 10, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,521 of 2,556
So I've put my equipment through some tests today and found out that with Master 11 the (mine and another one) iBasso DX200 and iBasso DX150 produce nasty jitter at 24/192 via coax.
Iv'e tried TOSLINK connection from same DAPs to Master 11 at 24/192 and the issue was still present.
I've tried same DAPs with newer Audio-GD 2838 at 24/192 and did not hear the issue.
So it looks like Master 11 uses some old tech (supposedly fixed in newer R2R7 and 2838) which for some reason just cannot cope with 24/192 on TOSLINK and S/PDIF sent from iBasso products.
Which pushes me to forget my dreams to use a single audio source and urges to using ol'good USB from my Mac as transport.

Do not use USB transports. LOL! I was using wm1Z and dedicated cradle docking station with upgraded wires. My R2R7 sucked with it, and I had went through many many process to upgrade and solve the issues....it still sucks (sound performances)

I am much happier with DX200 and Coax out from it SPDIF/COAX output

Well, unless you have no choices

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,523 of 2,556
My NOS11 V2 when turned on does so.

May 11, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,524 of 2,556
Hi there, does M11 memorize my volume setting? cause I found out sometimes it does sometimes it does not.
I am wondering how I can make it always the same volume.

It does if you leave it at a volume for a while.. if you change the volume and turn off or switch inputs then it won't remember it. I don't recall how long it has to be at a volume to remember. I think it's either 6 or 30 seconds.

May 11, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,525 of 2,556
It does if you leave it at a volume for a while.. if you change the volume and turn off or switch inputs then it won't remember it. I don't recall how long it has to be at a volume to remember. I think it's either 6 or 30 seconds.
Thanks.
I only connected it with my computer use SPDIF.
I used it for one night, and another day it goes back to 100.
If I turn off the computer, is that counted as turn off the inputs?
I don't change to another source.

May 12, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #2,526 of 2,556
Got my Master 11 . Half the size of Dac9+Phoenix stack and can put on my desk :). I've been testing several hours with some good high-res albums and a movie, and tried some albums without power conditioner. After temperature stabilizing, sound is a little bit warm/dark/closed-in/fat bass, I think characteristics of pcm1704uk, but other than that I'd say it's neutral.

Compared to DSP modded DAC9MK3+Phoenix, it seems less warm/dark, leans more towards organic and natural sound sound signature, overall closer to neutral. There is a good improvement in bass impact and control. Bit improved accuracy, instrument positioning, dynamics, and more control, esp. high freqs, metallic sounds, and fast micro-detail. But sometimes some sounds like voices can feel a little hollow, resonant, aloof, and I think there is a bit less black background and enveloping sound stage. Both systems convey with little coloration. It is a lot cooler as well, so I think this will likely last much longer (we may be comparing 10+ years vs much longer than that if no fans used, but myself I like to run 24/7 with temp control and find compromise between temp+sound quality).

I'm happy with both. Probably didn't need to get a Master 11. I might be back in a few years to see how R2R series dac's are doing and maybe get one if people say they are significantly better than Master 11.

May 12, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #2,527 of 2,556
In case I do go for a few years, I'd like to thank Head-Fi for helping me in my audio journey, and Kingwa and Audio-GD for making great affordable neutral hi-fi gear. I've enjoyed many years of good sound, not just for music, TV, and games, but also for viewing interviews/lectures/educationals, and for online conferences (I work remotely), where I have really come to appreciate unembellished and faithful sound reproduction. When I think about all the reproduced sound I've consumed over the years, how much less fatiguing and easier to interpret neutral hi-fi sound is, and how it lets me get closer to what was actually intended to be conveyed, I feel very grateful.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,528 of 2,556
Oops. I apparently had it at 48.0kHz only by default, so that even though I chose 192khz output in Advanced, it was outputting 48kHz most of the time. After a few more hours testing yesterday and today I have to retract that negative I said about some sounds like voices sounding hollow/resonant/aloof, it sounds just right now, and that part about sound stage seeming not as enveloping, it feels better than other system. It's just a great all-rounder, with a little bit of warmth/fat bass. Audio-GD should definitely make an R2R series all-in-one replacement for this Master 11 that filled a really good price point.

zsf4lIq.png

May 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #2,529 of 2,556
Do not use USB transports. LOL! ...
How could one tell that USB sucks to (for example) Coax? I'd love to know how to tell the difference for sure.
Audirvana on my Mac shows that Amanero Combo384 USB module on Master 11 accepts 32/384, why would I doubt :triportsad:

May 13, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,530 of 2,556
How could one tell that USB sucks to (for example) Coax? I'd love to know how to tell the difference for sure.
Audirvana on my Mac shows that Amanero Combo384 USB module on Master 11 accepts 32/384, why would I doubt :triportsad:

The easiest to observe would be noises. Try to compare between usb input vs Coax input on the same track. Coax shall have less noises. But again, not everyone can observe it, and if you can not, don’t worry about it. The more differences you can find out, the more you will have to spend

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #2,531 of 2,556
Hi there, does M11 memorize my volume setting? cause I found out sometimes it does sometimes it does not.
I am wondering how I can make it always the same volume.
Just want to update this volume problem, I send email to @Kingwa, He is very helpful, it turns out to be a problem with MCU chip on the volume control panel, so he sends a new one, I received it and install it, very easy. Only thing I need to pay is the shipping fee from China to the US. Very good communication with Kingwa. Very nice guy!

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #2,532 of 2,556
Glad to see this thread is still going. I'm currently trying to sell/trade my way back to demanding open back headphones (probably he-6) from my current IEMs.

I've also got a Singxer su-1 on the way, seams everyone agrees this ddc really takes the 11 to 11. hopefully I'll do a mini-review in a few weeks if i can get my hands on the right headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #2,533 of 2,556
I use a Singxer SU-1 with my Master 11 utilizing the I2S port. Can’t do without it!

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #2,534 of 2,556
Got a question about my singxer-su1>NOS11 Should i be using one of the jumper pll settings listed here?
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/NOS/NOS11/NOS11EN_Use.htm

PLL relates to the use of the outboard clock signal correct? I would take the time to test but i haven't had a proper headphone, I do however have a Code-6 (modded he-6) coming tomorrow. If there's a clear right answer the this jumper setting i'd like to be using it. edit: after doing my searching PLL really only helps with bad upstream sources, can only hurt performance in my case. though i'd be interested in anyone who might contradict this

Audio-gd has a new 125 watt into 8 ohm 2 channel amp out... going to be really hard not to buy it.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,535 of 2,556
Anyone heard the R-28? Does it compare to the Master 11 at all? Now that PCM1704UK DAC's arent sold anymore. Does this increase the value of Master 11 or are the newer DA-8 DACs good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back