Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,386 of 2,556
3, why I2S?

The I2S (Integrated Interchip Sound) actually is not a new technology,  it has been used inside the HIFI device to transfer digital signal for long time. The advantage of I2S is it use separate wire to transfer data signal and clock signal. Not like the SPDIF use same wire transfer mixed data and clock signal. But the I2S only can be used for short distance as the low ability of anti-interference. Using the I2S means I have to have a good  external USB bridge and bypassed the internal Amanero module.

4, why HDMI over I2S?

As we say the I2S has low ability of anti-interference. The RJ45 is just a telephone jack or Ethernet jack. It use 4 wires to transfer the signal. Since there are not much audiophile grade cable in the market.  So the interference is a big issue for it. But there is new standard coming, that people use HDMI cable transfer I2S signal, they use 12 wires transfer data and clock signal and use 5 ground wires to separate the signal wires. So the transfer quality is much better than RJ45. And there are lots of high quality HDMI cable with better shield in the market.

So my plan is use the Amanero USB input and compare with the SPDIF input first, then upgrade the DSP firmware. Wait for  the new ADG USB interface (Kingwa said it will take some time.) and upgrade the RJ45 to HDMI.

I can't speak to the technical details, but I went through a similar progression through inputs and ddc minus the spdif (amanero usb -> rj45 i2s -> hdmi i2s). To my ears, they biggest improvement was moving from usb to rj45, although there was definitely an improvement moving from rj45 to hdmi as well. This is using the di-u8 with x208 chip. I am very tempted to try an su-1 or the new interface from agd.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,387 of 2,556
I can't speak to the technical details, but I went through a similar progression through inputs and ddc minus the spdif (amanero usb -> rj45 i2s -> hdmi i2s). To my ears, they biggest improvement was moving from usb to rj45, although there was definitely an improvement moving from rj45 to hdmi as well. This is using the di-u8 with x208 chip. I am very tempted to try an su-1 or the new interface from agd.

You can't go wrong with Singxer-SU1 and Hdmi i2s. You may upgrade your DAC/Amp after few months but you will keep SU1 for few years :D

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #2,388 of 2,556
Hey Folks, I have potentially a pretty stupid question so bear with me. Does anyone use their Master-11 with IEMs? I know, it probably sounds foolish given that this thing puts out like 8 watts, but I got curious and tried my IEMs with it the other day and was surprised by the humming/noise at idle. It made them almost unusable and this wasn't with super sensitive IEMs either. Could there be a problem with my unit, since I thought AGD's claim to fame was dead silent noise floor? For what it's worth, it sounds more like a constant hum regardless of input rather than a hiss I have heard on other setups with very sensitive IEMs. Any advice appreciated!

-Collin-

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,389 of 2,556
  Hey Folks, I have potentially a pretty stupid question so bear with me. Does anyone use their Master-11 with IEMs? I know, it probably sounds foolish given that this thing puts out like 8 watts, but I got curious and tried my IEMs with it the other day and was surprised by the humming/noise at idle. It made them almost unusable and this wasn't with super sensitive IEMs either. Could there be a problem with my unit, since I thought AGD's claim to fame was dead silent noise floor? For what it's worth, it sounds more like a constant hum regardless of input rather than a hiss I have heard on other setups with very sensitive IEMs. Any advice appreciated!

-Collin-

You got to use balanced output for IEMs, single-ended is noisy for sensitive headphones/IEMs.

Mar 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #2,392 of 2,556

New master 11 owner.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2,395 of 2,556
The black one under the m11 is my old audio GD reference 1. The power amp is Jeff rowland model 10 at the bottom . I am trying to do some comparation between ref1 and m11.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2,396 of 2,556
 ​
Hi guys,
My used M11 was arrived on last Friday.

After some quick listening on Friday night and Saturday. I was very happy with this purchase. The improvement is obviously. My previous setup was Audio-gd reference 1 DAC >little dot MK6+>He-5 and HD650, or use MK6+ as preamp > Jeff Rowland model 10 power amp>Focus FS688 speakers.  The main reason of this upgrade is I want to have a full function preamp to instead of the MK6+. After the initial impression, I was so surprised with the unexpected improvement. Both headphones and speakers reached to a new level. The bass was tighter and punching. Treble is bright and extended. Much more details came out. The biggest step is the soundstage with great separations, so it is easier to distinguish some micro details. From my speakers, the stage seems like over the wall into the other room. The image and 3D position are also more focused and accurate. It is easy to point or see each instrument.  I never find my HD650s can be so enjoyable until now. The bass are much tighter, more open soundstage and transparent. Finally I understand what the famous veil is. I thought I lifted it already. The He-5s have a smoother treble due to more power delivered from the amp.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #2,397 of 2,556
Since I had put my Ref1 on the buy-sell forums for sale for a while, but it seems  nobody was interested in this old guy. On Sunday , I did a 4 hours comparison of  the DAC part between the Ref1 and M11. The seller told me he had switched the M11’s setting back to default (8X over-sampling) but not sure. I haven’t opened the machine yet, so I am not sure what is the current setting neither.

The setup is:
 M11:  foobar2000 ASIO> Gigabyte sniper motherboard DAC UP USB port  (USB power off)>stock USB cable>Amanero USB input of M11>RCA output >Kimber silver streak RCA cable>Jeff Rowland .( IMO, this is the best setup for M11 so far from my gears).

Ref1: foobar2000 Wasapi > Gigabyte sniper motherboard Spdif >Ref1>XLR output> Kimber silver streak XLR cable>M11 XLR input>Kimber silver streak RCA cable>Jeff Rowland. (This is the only setup for ref1)

I played The ultimate Demonstration Album from Chesky (44.1k 16bit flac) back and forward several times. The result is interesting. I found the huge improvement from my previous setup is coming from the amp part of the M11. But the two DACs have quite easy to tell different sound signatures.

The main difference is at the low range. The bass from M11 is tighter, punchy, but a little bit solid, fast decay. The Ref1 has a softer and thicker bass, less punchy but more extension to the sub-bass with a slow decay.  At the midrange, the Ref 1 has a better performance, lush and fuller; make the vocal prominent and more enjoyable. The M11 has good extended highs, but a little too bright for me. The ref 1 has a little rounded treble still with good extension. Soundstage, details, image focus,   the M11 is slightly better but very hard to notice. IMO, the brighter or cooler sound signature always has better sound stage and resolution.

Over all, the two DACs are pretty much at same level with subtle different signatures. The M11 is brighter, aggressive, energetic, with passion, a slight better resolving, image and soundstage. The ref1 is warmer, mellow, fuller and musical; good for long time relax listening. (I guess it is more like a NOS 11).

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,398 of 2,556
I get confused now, I seems more like the sound coming from the ref1, but the ref1 has limited function (Max. 92k 24 bit, only one Spdif input).  If I keep the Ref 1 that mean I have to challenge myself to upgrade the DSP, convert the input to I2S and purchase an USB interface and more cables. ( Most important is not good for my wallet.) Or I have to convert my M11 to NOS 11, that’s also is headache for me.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,399 of 2,556
  I get confused now, I seems more like the sound coming from the ref1, but the ref1 has limited function (Max. 92k 24 bit, only one Spdif input).  If I keep the Ref 1 that mean I have to challenge myself to upgrade the DSP, convert the input to I2S and purchase an USB interface and more cables. ( Most important is not good for my wallet.) Or I have to convert my M11 to NOS 11, that’s also is headache for me.

Before changing M11 to NOS11 make sure you have the latest firmware update on your DSP (v7), then listen again in 8X, 4X, 2X and NOS, also play with the different settings mode, you may find you can fine tweak the sound to your flavor. If NOS is the way to go for you, then I suggest you purchase the TXCO clock for your DSP and install de NOS firmware v2, you will still get improvements with this modification. After all, it's only a couple of soldering and a new firmware install. Hope this helps, cheers!

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #2,400 of 2,556

Before changing M11 to NOS11 make sure you have the latest firmware update on your DSP (v7), then listen again in 8X, 4X, 2X and NOS, also play with the different settings mode, you may find you can fine tweak the sound to your flavor. If NOS is the way to go for you, then I suggest you purchase the TXCO clock for your DSP and install de NOS firmware v2, you will still get improvements with this modification. After all, it's only a couple of soldering and a new firmware install. Hope this helps, cheers!

Thanks dcivera,
I will do exactly the same as you suggested. I ordered an USB blade from eBay several days ago and emailed Kingwa for the firmware update. Once I get the blade, I will contract them to arrange an online update. (They will charge $30 for the update now.
frown.gif
). Hope I could find the satisfied setting without a NOS installation. Will open the device this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back