Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Jan 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,341 of 2,556
So i have a question for all you knowledgeable people out there, I got a used NOS 11 and want to try the different modes, but i dont have any jumpers. this should be a really easy order on amazon if i knew exactly what to search for. can anyone help me out?

I Found it odd that It shipped with all jumpers removed. maybe the settings dont work because this was a master 11 and was upgraded at factory?

Audio-gd typically shipped with extra parts, such as jumpers, remote control PCB, volume attenuator.

You can buy the jumpers here:
https://www.amazon.com/2-54mm-Standard-Computer-Jumper-100pack/dp/B00N552DWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485035639&sr=8-1&keywords=Computer+Jumper+Caps

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,342 of 2,556
Thanks for the fast reply! now do i order 10 for 5$ or 100 for 6$...

I got the extra pcb and volume control but jumpers MIA. no matter, prime is fast enough.

Im really hoping I can get a bit more bite from NOS 2 or 3. I've been listening 2 weeks with my LCD-3's and while i like the sound as a whole, I feel some energy (treble?) is missing compared to my old NFB-28. the 11 definitely sounds 'better' as in hauntingly natural and even more effortless. but with many rock tracks the LCD-3/NOS combo is just too warm or laid back. I like cage the elephants as a red book rock test and while the tracks flow and the vocals sound great, there's definitely some sense of aggression missing. Good thing i don't listen to metal or i might be disappointed.

The real fix will be later this year when i acquire an He-6, should give me excellent bookends on the heavyweight sound spectrum.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #2,343 of 2,556
I have together with my NOS11 V2, the balanced HE500s and the sound, though being natural, is still punchy. Yersterday for example listening at the Pixies in their Doolittle disc.

Coming too from a NFB29 I don't think I miss this SE amp/dac that much.

Enviado desde mi H1

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #2,344 of 2,556
I have together with my NOS11 V2, the balanced HE500s and the sound, though being natural, is still punchy. Yersterday for example listening at the Pixies in their Doolittle disc.

Coming too from a NFB29 I don't think I miss this SE amp/dac that much.

Enviado desde mi H1

Hi casper2127, which setting are you using with your NOS11? Thanks!

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #2,345 of 2,556
Hi Dcivera,

the one that comes as standard from factory. Purchased it from Magna-Hifi and haven´t opened the lid to start tweaking the sound of the NOS11 since I'm pretty happy with it.

It is supposed though that if you change the sound you even make it warmer, that is not what I'm really looking for.

Cheers.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,346 of 2,556
  Hi Dcivera,

the one that comes as standard from factory. Purchased it from Magna-Hifi and haven´t opened the lid to start tweaking the sound of the NOS11 since I'm pretty happy with it.

It is supposed though that if you change the sound you even make it warmer, that is not what I'm really looking for.

Cheers.

+1 same here, love how it sounds, does everything just right and then some..

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,347 of 2,556
Singularity 11!!!!

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master11Singularity/Singularity%2011EN.htm

Looks very interesting. TBh I am thinking about replacing my DAC19 ..

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #2,348 of 2,556
It is indeed one of the last chances to get oneself with a dac including these marvellous PCM 1704UK chips.

Nowadays we're living in the ESS Sabre 90X8 & AKM 40XX era modules. :D

Enviado desde mi H1

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #2,349 of 2,556
So a few pages ago i asked about jumpers settings for my nos 11. so i'll very briefly report my findings after a solid 2 weeks of rolling between nos modes 1, 2, and 3 for a few days. First off i didn't notice any really difference with any of the PLL settings, so for Almost all my listening all PLL was off (no jumpers). I should note I'm connecting via USB directly the the 'dac up' port of my gigabyte motherboard.

Of course I had spent all my previous listening in NOS 1, which i love for the most part as it takes everything I loved about my last dac (nfb-28) and made it much more real. Its over all a large step up but the change in flavor isn't perfect. I think the 28 did a perfect job complementing my LCD-3 classic fazor, while the NOS 11 make it every so slightly too laid back. This signature is absolute heaven for some music, but i find it limiting for some music. ie some rock should come with more bite in the vocal range and above

Unfortunately the stock jumper settings are for the 'crispest' most neutral sound and settings 2 and 3 made it sound just the slightest bit fuller. The difference between 1 and 2 is very small, i could see it being very hard to tell between the 2 if i didn't already know. Setting 3 i found to be easy to distinguish. It reminds me of the vocal treatment in Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence, its like a sepia effect in photography throughout. The NOS 11 setting might be more enjoyable on other headphones, but with my rig to my ear I found going back to NOS setting 1 after a few days on 2 or 3 was always perceived as an immediate improvement. Where as switching away from 1 was more a matter of "huh?...interesting..."

In and unrelated matter what are people experience connecting turntables to their master 11? Im thinking about vinyl cause its a fun thing to think about and I'm wondering if its necessary to have a phonostage with a balanced output to make full use of the amp? does the single ended analog input have a voltage splitter to balance the signal?

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #2,350 of 2,556
Thx for coming up to us with your experience.

Enviado desde mi H1

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,351 of 2,556
In and unrelated matter what are people experience connecting turntables to their master 11? Im thinking about vinyl cause its a fun thing to think about and I'm wondering if its necessary to have a phonostage with a balanced output to make full use of the amp? does the single ended analog input have a voltage splitter to balance the signal?

you would definitely need a phono pre-amp in front of the master 11. most balanced pre-amps are not balanced since the output from a turntable is single-ended.  as you know, phono pre-amps are a sub-culture in of themselves (not to mention arms, cartridges, etc.)!

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,352 of 2,556

you would definitely need a phono pre-amp in front of the master 11. most balanced pre-amps are not balanced since the output from a turntable is single-ended.  as you know, phono pre-amps are a sub-culture in of themselves (not to mention arms, cartridges, etc.)!

actually even it uses RCA the signal from a turntable is balanced. Ground is on a separate wire and cartridge wire is always left + - and right + -

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #2,353 of 2,556
actually even it uses RCA the signal from a turntable is balanced. Ground is on a separate wire and cartridge wire is always left + - and right + -

This is what i've heard, the output from any cart is inherently a floating balance, The trouble is getting a phono stage amp that has balanced out. most phono amps are in the 50-400$ range, with the 400$ model considered rather high end. but the cheapest such device with a balanced output is closer to 1000$. This seams insane to me, why the 600$ price gap between expensive and armed robbery. Clearly i don't know much about vinyl, I would have though staying balanced from stylus to drivers would be a more common goal. doesn't make sense to me (besides marketing) that balanced systems are so much more common on headfi then the 2 channel world, they actually have longer cable runs and have much more to gain then desktop audio does...

I'm wondering if the user's who have reported using the audio-gd gear with turntables used theirs single ended or what. maybe its possible to use 2 phono amps, one for each channel, but that sounds messy and prone to ground loops.

I'm going to send Kingwa and e-mail about this, i'm only 95% sure single ended inputs stay single ended throughout.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #2,355 of 2,556
This is what i've heard, the output from any cart is inherently a floating balance, The trouble is getting a phono stage amp that has balanced out. most phono amps are in the 50-400$ range, with the 400$ model considered rather high end. but the cheapest such device with a balanced output is closer to 1000$. This seams insane to me, why the 600$ price gap between expensive and armed robbery. Clearly i don't know much about vinyl, I would have though staying balanced from stylus to drivers would be a more common goal. doesn't make sense to me (besides marketing) that balanced systems are so much more common on headfi then the 2 channel world, they actually have longer cable runs and have much more to gain then desktop audio does...

I'm wondering if the user's who have reported using the audio-gd gear with turntables used theirs single ended or what. maybe its possible to use 2 phono amps, one for each channel, but that sounds messy and prone to ground loops.

I'm going to send Kingwa and e-mail about this, i'm only 95% sure single ended inputs stay single ended throhughout.

I wouldn't call $400 phono high end more like mid end. a decent MM phono stage is around $4-600 but for MC you'll need to go around >$800 before getting anything decent. Why I say not high end if you compare to M11 you will be disappointed in comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back