Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Mar 13, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,696 of 2,556
Tried replacing the MCU, but hit a problem. I need to remove the faceplate to get access to the current MCU, didn't have a short hex wrench handy so I got to scrub the upgrade operation. Will try again tomorrow after visiting the local home improvement store.

Some pictures:

Is this the MCU? Anyone can confirm? It's the on IC I see with the same size as the one Kingwa sent me.

Face plate hex screws:

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #1,697 of 2,556
Tried replacing the MCU, but hit a problem. I need to remove the faceplate to get access to the current MCU, didn't have a short hex wrench handy so I got to scrub the upgrade operation. Will try again tomorrow after visiting the local home improvement store.

Some pictures:

Is this the MCU? Anyone can confirm? It's the on IC I see with the same size as the one Kingwa sent me.

Face plate hex screws:

I guess I have always done it the hard way then, never removed the faceplate. Simply replaced it where it sits. I used some small plastic pry tools used for cell phone Dissasembly. Popped the mcu out a little from each end til it came loose. It is in a socket so comes out really easily. I then carefully aligned all the pins and reinstalled a new one. They mcu you have has a piece of tape on it, so you can't really identify which pin is #1 without removing the tape. Anyhow, is there not clearance on your m11 for something reason?
Seems it should be able to have access without removing the faceplate. Or is that way Kingwa recommended?

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,698 of 2,556
Couldn't communicate well with Kingwa on the instruction, sometime I really wish he has a translator on payroll.

I tried using a small flat screw driver but didn't want to apply too much force, so it didn't go anywhere.
Which plastic prying too did you use? anything you recommend me buying?

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #1,700 of 2,556
Audio Dandy has some photos of the M7 MCU replacement process here:

http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-GD_Master7-Amanero.htm

There is also his feedback on jumper settings with some diagrams:

http://www.modelpromo.nl/Audio-GD_Master7-Amanero_NOS.htm

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,701 of 2,556
Just wanted to post an update on my AGD situation. I've just received the refund for the $1850 that I bought the M11 for. I lost $400 in shipping costs which I still think I shouldn't have since needing an active MCU that the unit isn't shipped with to avoid loud static discharge is an issue with the unit rather than a user error issue as they view it, but oh well I guess. You win some and you lose some, and this was a loss. That said, I'm happy that the situation is over for me and I won't have to worry about such problems in the future.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #1,702 of 2,556
Just wanted to post an update on my AGD situation. I've just received the refund for the $1850 that I bought the M11 for. I lost $400 in shipping costs which I still think I shouldn't have since needing an active MCU that the unit isn't shipped with to avoid loud static discharge is an issue with the unit rather than a user error issue as they view it, but oh well I guess. You win some and you lose some, and this was a loss. That said, I'm happy that the situation is over for me and I won't have to worry about such problems in the future.

You purchased a product direct from the manufacturer in Mainland China and at a substantial discount to that of similar products produced locally and/or those sold by brick and mortar stores. And, to tell the truth, I've heard of worse experiences being inflicted upon those who purchased locally made products from local stores.

Yes, you are out shipping but paid no 10% -20% restocking charge as some manufactures and dealers would impose.

Me?

I'm happy with my Master 11 and my Master 7 and rather comforted to know that King Wa would refund the money of a disgruntled customer for a problem he could no duplicate, irrespective of whose fault that problem might be.

You?

Might be happier purchasing from a more local vendor with a clearly defined satisfaction guarantee. SCHIIT's best DAC and Headphone Amp Stack costs a few $$ more but I have auditioned it and it certainly is in the same sonic class as the Master 11. If someone broke into my house at night and exchanged my Master 11 with that stack I might not even bother to call the police in the morning.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #1,703 of 2,556

You purchased a product direct from the manufacturer in Mainland China and at a substantial discount to that of similar products produced locally and/or those sold by brick and mortar stores. And, to tell the truth, I've heard of worse experiences being inflicted upon those who purchased locally made products from local stores.

Yes, you are out shipping but paid no 10% -20% restocking charge as some manufactures and dealers would impose.

Me?

I'm happy with my Master 11 and my Master 7 and rather comforted to know that King Wa would refund the money of a disgruntled customer for a problem he could no duplicate, irrespective of whose fault that problem might be.

You?

Might be happier purchasing from a more local vendor with a clearly defined satisfaction guarantee. SCHIIT's best DAC and Headphone Amp Stack costs a few $$ more but I have auditioned it and it certainly is in the same sonic class as the Master 11. If someone broke into my house at night and exchanged my Master 11 with that stack I might not even bother to call the police in the morning.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

For me I'd rather pay more for better quality so it may just be a preference thing. That there was no restocking charge was a great thing. It was certainly a problem he couldn't duplicate but we've established that from the get go. That the issue wouldn't pop up under lab test circumstances such as they ones they use but it would pop up during normal in home use. Since audio gear is used in the latter and not the former, I think the issue not being replicated is more a flaw in their testing method than anything. Especially considering that other users have reported the issue as well which seems to indicate that something that warrants attention regardless of whose fault it is. I don't think the issue is what happened with my unit specifically so much as it is that my unit was looked at in isolation from the others with similar issues.

That's exactly what I did. I didn't go with Schiit but I replaced the amp end with a Zana Deux T and talked to Craig to make sure it could be serviced should anything go wrong. I got an SFD-1 with a known group who services it right across the border in Canada and I am purchasing a used custom dac made by MisterRogers which apparently sounds quite similar to the Yggy so that will be easy to get fixed. Essentially, other than headphones which are far easier to replace/ship, I'm buying American from now on.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the refund, but at the same time, I just expect a more concerted effort to get the issue fixed from a company that I buy from. I should also add that the refund wasn't because I was disgruntled its in the warranty policy. If you ship the unit back within 15 days for a warranty repair and they find nothing, you can choose to pay to get it back or get refunded for it. I shipped it back to them on day 16 so they allowed the refund.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,704 of 2,556
Got the active MCU installed, can't say I feel any slowness in its responses.  Not sure why Kingwa didn't make this standard.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #1,705 of 2,556
My understanding for the static MCU mode

Static storage mode control software:
           In most control softwares design, the MCU will continuously output data to the perform parts , the MCU had the very high speed, so the output data become high frequency impulses disturb the audio signal circuits make the sound worst . This product had applied static storage mode control software , the MCU output once control data and save in the perform parts while just power on and users operate ,then stop output data until users next operation. This design make the sound quality improve on the clear and transparency .

He saying that the static mode generates loss noise that could get into the audio lines.  The MCU execute the user commands and then goes into a standby mode until the next command. With the active MCU mode the MCU is always checking and updating. The OPPO HA-1 is a example of a very active MCU because it has to update the display in real time. When Kingwa state that the active MCU is slower I interpreted that to mean that it takes a longer pulse from a user command in order for the active MCU to recognize a command and more immune to short static pulses. You may not notice any speed differences.
When you press a key on your microwave for example, the microwave will count that as one press not two because all mechanical switches have a bounce electrically and the MCU will ignore the very short secondary pulse from the switch static bounce. A microwave can generate alot of static interference that the MCU has to ignore. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,706 of 2,556
Kingwa states that the sound quality isn't affected by the active unit. I quoted his statement some posts earlier. I haven't noticed any changes either. It's safer for me with the active unit as I often fall asleep with my headphones on. I do noticed slightly slower response, but nothing that I that would annoy me, so I'm happy.

Here's the quote again:
The active mode is the MCU always control the all unit, so its speed is lower .
The passive mode is whille the user had operate then the MCU control the unit, so it is faster.
In sound they had not the audio different.

Mar 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,707 of 2,556
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/NOS/NOS11/NOS11EN.htm

the NOS11 :wink:

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,709 of 2,556
July 1st

Kingwa says he wants to sell some of these first.

BUY ONE! :wink:

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,710 of 2,556
Oh , off subject. but I had a bunch of emails about my U12 and dc30w...it's sold- gone and given away basically. Hope the new owners loves it! it's a great match with the m11.

I also tried a new HDMI cable today. the violet wireworld .3meter cable
http://www.wireworldcable.com/hdmi-2.0-cables.html#hdmitop

I think I actually I like this better than my DHlabs Silversonic .5meter hdmi. 
http://amzn.com/B00B362AYE

except .3meter is tough to use as it's NOT a flexible cable and barely works with my DIU8 as it sits on top of the M11.

Joe Walsh - "my maserati goes 185... some static stopped me, now I can't drive.."

actually, I don't wear sweaters while i'm listening so I don't have this issue :D

I will be shipping my M11 back to china. for a list of things to be done. :D mods mainly. I'll miss her. Likely shipping her out in a week from now, maybe two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back