Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Oct 13, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #616 of 2,556
I've heard various Audio-GD products and really enjoy them. The Master 11 is on my wish list.

I now have a Reference 5 + Roc that is quite glorious. Both are basically predecessors to what's in the Master 11.

It sounds so natural and smooth, I feel like the M11 (being the evolution of that stack) has to sound incredible.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #617 of 2,556
  Just to clarify, the Master 11 is an r-2r dac which also means that it does not oversample?

No, the 1704 chip has the following specs.
PCM1704
FEATURES
l SAMPLING FREQUENCY (fS): 16kHz to 96kHz
l 8X OVERSAMPLING AT 96kHz
l INPUT AUDIO DATA WORD: 20-, 24-Bit
l HIGH PERFORMANCE:
Dynamic Range: K Grade = 112dB typ
SNR: 120dB typ
THD+N: K Grade = 0.0008% typ
l FAST CURRENT OUTPUT: ±1.2mA/200ns
l GLITCH-FREE OUTPUT
l PIN-PROGRAMMABLE DATA INVERSION
l POWER SUPPLY: ±5V
l SMALL 20-LEAD SO PACKAGE

From the TI data sheet linked below:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/pcm1704-442330.pdf

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #618 of 2,556
I just received my M11 today and I feel stupid asking this question. How do I get it to work with the computer? I had connected it through a USB cable  (tried different cables with no luck) and put the selector to 6, and it doesn't even get recognized by my computer. What am i missing here? hmm...

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #619 of 2,556
Oct 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #622 of 2,556
If using M11 as a DAC for a stereo speaker amplifier would it be better to set the M11 to fixed volume where volume is controlled on the speaker amp or have it so M11 controls the volume and the speaker amp volume knob is maxed out?

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #623 of 2,556
  No, the 1704 chip has the following specs.
PCM1704
FEATURES
l SAMPLING FREQUENCY (fS): 16kHz to 96kHz
l 8X OVERSAMPLING AT 96kHz
l INPUT AUDIO DATA WORD: 20-, 24-Bit
l HIGH PERFORMANCE:
Dynamic Range: K Grade = 112dB typ
SNR: 120dB typ
THD+N: K Grade = 0.0008% typ
l FAST CURRENT OUTPUT: ±1.2mA/200ns
l GLITCH-FREE OUTPUT
l PIN-PROGRAMMABLE DATA INVERSION
l POWER SUPPLY: ±5V
l SMALL 20-LEAD SO PACKAGE

From the TI data sheet linked below:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/405/pcm1704-442330.pdf

Ah okay excellent. Thanks for clarifying. 

I'm not an electronics engineer so I'm amateur at best. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #624 of 2,556
  I just received my M11 today and I feel stupid asking this question. How do I get it to work with the computer? I had connected it through a USB cable  (tried different cables with no luck) and put the selector to 6, and it doesn't even get recognized by my computer. What am i missing here? hmm...

What are your impressions?

Have you tried connecting your phone via an OTG adaptor via USB?

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #625 of 2,556
If using M11 as a DAC for a stereo speaker amplifier would it be better to set the M11 to fixed volume where volume is controlled on the speaker amp or have it so M11 controls the volume and the speaker amp volume knob is maxed out?

I use the M11 with Marantz PM11 amp/Harbeth SHL5 and I find the M11 at max output works best 4 me..

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #626 of 2,556

Most likely the pre amp in M11 is better than what you have in your integrated amplifier. Unless you have really good integrated amp.

My main reason for looking at the NFB-27H and Master 11 is simply due to my realisation that I don't really like the warmth of current setup, which is a Schiit Audio Lyr 2 and Bifrost uber for the dac. Absolutely nothing wrong with the set up, its just that the sound isn't to my liking. Plus I'd like to try balanced audio outputs as well because I've been hearing of increased dynamic range and vibrance in the sound, as opposed to single-ended set ups.

Have you ever heard the LCD2F from setup that you liked more? Maybe it would be better to switch headphones. LCD-X maybe? I am not sure if you can change LCD2F's warmness that much with amp and dac.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #627 of 2,556
  Most likely the pre amp in M11 is better than what you have in your integrated amplifier. Unless you have really good integrated amp.

Have you ever heard the LCD2F from setup that you liked more? Maybe it would be better to switch headphones. LCD-X maybe? I am not sure if you can change LCD2F's warmness that much with amp and dac.

I've heard my LCD-2F's with an Auralic Gemini 2000 as well as my homebrew solid state amplifier. The auralic sounds, at least to my ears, neutral with the LCD-2Fs. I was also pleasantly surprised that my own homebrew solid state (Silicon Chip Magazine headphone amp) was actually holding its own. Just FYI, the Lyr 2 has Vodshok Rocket 6n23P silver getter tubes in it as well. This helped the sound immensely over the stock tubes but still remains warm to my ears.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #628 of 2,556
  I've heard my LCD-2F's with an Auralic Gemini 2000 as well as my homebrew solid state amplifier. The auralic sounds, at least to my ears, neutral with the LCD-2Fs. I was also pleasantly surprised that my own homebrew solid state (Silicon Chip Magazine headphone amp) was actually holding its own. Just FYI, the Lyr 2 has Vodshok Rocket 6n23P silver getter tubes in it as well. This helped the sound immensely over the stock tubes but still remains warm to my ears.

I believe the Auralic Gemini 2000 has an ESS Sabre 32 chip. correct me if i'm wrong. That thing is insanely expensive for what it is. Just my opinion.

I'd hope you give an R2R dac a try before jumping on the Sabre band wagon. They are vastly cheaper for a good reason. 

I would say if you only listen to techno/electronic music then a Sabre dac is fine. They do well. On the other hand, if you listen to music that has real instruments then an R2R is a no brainer. It's capable of producing realistic sound that is clearly better than any Delta Sigma dac.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #629 of 2,556

I think like Lancer that you should use the one that has the best preamp. I would not be very surprised if it will make out to be the M11 in your case, but nothing wrong with some experimenting to see. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #630 of 2,556
  I believe the Auralic Gemini 2000 has an ESS Sabre 32 chip. correct me if i'm wrong. That thing is insanely expensive for what it is. Just my opinion.

I'd hope you give an R2R dac a try before jumping on the Sabre band wagon. They are vastly cheaper for a good reason. 

I would say if you only listen to techno/electronic music then a Sabre dac is fine. They do well. On the other hand, if you listen to music that has real instruments then an R2R is a no brainer. It's capable of producing realistic sound that is clearly better than any Delta Sigma dac.

I would advise not judging based on dac chip. a lot of people here like to generalize about different dac sound signatures based on the chip used, but I do feel like I've heard a bit of variation with quite a few different dacs that use the same dac chip. there are nice and poor implementations for any dac chip.

I would definitely recommend trying out some r2r dacs as well, but honestly there are some very nice sounding delta sigma dacs out there as well. r2r dacs are more expensive typically because those dac chips are out of production or no longer mass-produced.

the price of the dac chip or the type of dac chip or brand name of dac chip doesn't always correlate with the performance of the dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back