Audio GD Master-11(Combination from Master 7 and Master 9)
Jun 17, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #1,861 of 2,556
  Has anyone heard the M11 vs the discrete M7+M9 ? Im just curious. If they really are similar in sound quality then the M11 is an incredible value... but I just find it hard to believe that the combo is even close to the discrete units.

I have compared directly a REF5.32 which seems to be a similar DAC as the one inside M11 (both with 4x PCM1704), and the M7(8x PCM1704). They sounded very different. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,862 of 2,556
I have compared directly a REF5.32 which seems to be a similar DAC as the one inside M11 (both with 4x PCM1704), and the M7(8x PCM1704). They sounded very different. 

So is it more about being different (in terms of sonic signature) than about one being technically superior over the other?

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #1,863 of 2,556

So is it more about being different (in terms of sonic signature) than about one being technically superior over the other?

I think the REF5.32 itself is a very capable DAC. not as detailed as the M7, but that partly has to do with the soundstage which is somewhat less up front than the M7. Due to the forwardness of the soundstage, it is more detailed, but the background becomes less black as compared to the REF5.32. Also the thickness of notes of the M7 is much better. M7 is a very thick sounding DAC, while the REF5.32 sounded more nimble and delicate. The soundstage of the M7 is very wide but not very deep, the REF5.32 is less wide but the shape is less flat. Both are great, but different. But this is just REF5.32 vs M7, the M11 may sound totally different too.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,864 of 2,556
The M11 sounds slightly more balanced than the M7, which can sound slightly V-shaped due to it's in-your-face fat bass.

They both sound closer to each other than the Ref 5.32 for sure, which was chocolate dark sounding (subdued treble, by comparison).

Technically, all the 3x r-core DACs are in a different league compared to the 1x r-core ones. No exception with the numerous A-Gd DACs I've owned over the past 4 years:
- NFB-3.1
- Reference 5.32
- NFB-27
- SA-1.32
- SA-2
- Master-7

They all have their own flavor, too.
The two closest DACs I can think of, in terms of tonality, are the NFB-27 and NFB-7.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,865 of 2,556
  The M11 sounds slightly more balanced than the M7, which can sound slightly V-shaped due to it's in-your-face fat bass.

They both sound closer to each other than the Ref 5.32 for sure, which was chocolate dark sounding (subdued treble, by comparison).

Technically, all the 3x r-core DACs are in a different league compared to the 1x r-core ones. No exception with the numerous A-Gd DACs I've owned over the past 4 years:
- NFB-3.1
- Reference 5.32
- NFB-27
- SA-1.32
- SA-2
- Master-7

The two closest DACs I can think of, in terms of tonality, are the NFB-27 and NFB-7.

Interesting. Did you try both the M11 and the M7 with the same type of USB card or with an USB converter? 

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,866 of 2,556

Interesting. Did you try both the M11 and the M7 with the same type of USB card or with an USB converter? 

Nope.
The Master-7 was driven by an Offramp-4 using I2S (RJ45).

The Master-11 was used with a BelCanto Reflink using BNC, which is less favorable (Audio-gd SPDIF inputs kinda suck).

I've had the Master-9 for a few weeks when I still had the M7. Alas, I didn't have ACSS cables, so I used XLR.

The M11, really, is a great versatile integrated!

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,867 of 2,556
  Nope.

The Master-11 was used with a BelCanto Reflink using BNC, which is less favorable (Audio-gd SPDIF inputs kinda suck).

I've had the Master-9 for a few weeks when I still had the M7. Alas, I didn't have ACSS cables, so I used XLR.

Damn too bad, I wish someone could compare the M7 + M9 vs M11.

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,868 of 2,556

Nope.

Damn too bad, I wish someone could compare the M7 + M9 vs M11.

And now there's a NOS version of M7 and M11, the NOS7 and NOS11, to make selection more complicated.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #1,869 of 2,556
  Nope.

When you say that “the M11 sounds slightly more balanced than the M7, which can sound slightly V-shaped due to it's in-your-face fat bass.” It looks like impressions made with totally different USB converters (Offramp 4 vs Reflink) running different protocols (I2S vs SPDIF) and at different occasions.

I’m not saying your impressions is not true, they can be more favorable to the M11, but so many thing have been changed to form whatever impression between gear that are made by the same manufacturer and with the same design IMO.       

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,870 of 2,556

- NFB-3.1
- Reference 5.32
- NFB-27
- SA-1.32
- SA-2
- Master-7

May I ask what do you mean by " all the 3x r-core DACs are in a different league compared to the 1x r-core ones" ? Which is better or worse ? Thanks

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #1,872 of 2,556
Nice, congrats! please let us know how you like it.. I'm looking at NOS 7 to complement my M11, still need to ID what exactly does it mean by NOS sound signature.

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,873 of 2,556
  Nice, congrats! please let us know how you like it.. I'm looking at NOS 7 to complement my M11, still need to ID what exactly does it mean by NOS sound signature.

Hi , i'm asking to Magna Hifi ( Distributors Audio Gd in the Netherlands ) , here is the reply ! :
The Master 11 has a very open, precise 3D soundstage and a lot of attack with a very dry bass. 
NOS 11 is smoother and sounds "thicker" compared to Master 11. Similar level of detail and openess.
Both are very nice and quality is on par. If you prefer dry bass and a bit more attack the Master 11 is you choice. In case you like smooth mid & high frequencies (voices) and a "thicker" sound the NOS 11 is the best.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             i Ithink that the NOS 7 will be better then the NOS 11 ; 8 dacs chips VS  4 on the NOS 11 . the reason i choose the NOS that is to pair with my Sennheiser HD800S , and hope that the NOS11 will tamed down the Trebles Peaks on the HD800S

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,875 of 2,556
My m11 is about to arrive at audio-gd in a day. Still in customs. But expect it there for another week before it ships back to me. I will post my thoughts once I've had time to listen to it.
I also will have had mods done too. Occ silver wire, eizz connectors all around. At some point I'm trying to figure on what USB I will use in it. I want to upgrade the amanero, but I honestly don't think there is much difference between all USB devices. I've tried sooooo many. I will post photos of the inside and out and full list of details of each mod.
USB module may be upgraded later, I'm not sold on the f1 singxer as its too darn large. Otherwise I would likely try it, yet my experience with USB is the all basically sound pretty similar with some moderate changes. I want to find something that can be powered off onboard power if so. I'm upset the diyinhk 768khz xu216 can't be powered (800ma!!!) by onboard psu. Kingwa confirmed its not possible, the r-core trafo's would require too much extra power. I have considered installing a DC input for external power to the USB. That's always a possibility. I'm not going to spend a ton of money on Ethernet or aoip. Too darn pricey. I plan to use the lh labs source to feed this via i2s. It's going to be my main source.

I realize the specs on paper for the nos11 look less impressive than the m11. I strongly believe in listen first before passing judgement.

Still waiting to get it back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back