Audio-GD HE Series: HE-9, HE-7, HE-1, HE-350
Jun 27, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #152 of 179
Perhaps Kingwa should consider this market. Could be something very special.

I hope not. I would have to get a bigger apartment and another job :D

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #153 of 179
Thanks Fred, I will take your word for it :)
A pre like the he1 is a line level device which does not use power transistors. So... It could work but it is not meant for this. Bass would likely suffer and the output tranaistors could overheat, possibly. I would not try it unless Kingwa says it's ok.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #154 of 179
A pre like the he1 is a line level device which does not use power transistors. So... It could work but it is not meant for this. Bass would likely suffer and the output transistors could overheat, possibly. I would not try it unless Kingwa says it's ok.

This is what Kingwa told me:

For the headphone drive , I recommend the HE9 MK2, it is powerful for headphones, and it has the new design that the headphone output stages are different to the preamp outputs, that can make the sound quality of the preamp output quite close the HE1 MK2.

The HE1 MK2 XLR output apply the FET transistors output, the output ability is enough for all power amps , but not drive well with the low impedance headphones , if the headphone over is 300 ohm that is better for drive.

I would be using the preamp primarily with speakers. Not sure yet whether 1 or 9...

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #155 of 179
This is what Kingwa told me:

For the headphone drive , I recommend the HE9 MK2, it is powerful for headphones, and it has the new design that the headphone output stages are different to the preamp outputs, that can make the sound quality of the preamp output quite close the HE1 MK2.

The HE1 MK2 XLR output apply the FET transistors output, the output ability is enough for all power amps , but not drive well with the low impedance headphones , if the headphone over is 300 ohm that is better for drive.

I would be using the preamp primarily with speakers. Not sure yet whether 1 or 9...
My own dilemna. Depends on how important hp listening is to you. The he9 mkii does a great job as a pre though. Expect a long burn-in for both. Not a painful burn-in, the sound will be be very good from the start.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #156 of 179
My own dilemna. Depends on how important hp listening is to you. The he9 mkii does a great job as a pre though. Expect a long burn-in for both. Not a painful burn-in, the sound will be be very good from the start.
I find these preamps intriguing although I strictly do not need any as my DAC (Spring 3 L2) has a built in preamp, and I listen to my serious headphones (Heddphone, Hifiman HE-6, Taket H2 + TR2) from the speaker terminals of my power amp (Reimyo KAP-777). Maybe I can manage to get one on trial. Anyone compared the SS and Vacuum versions?

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #157 of 179
I find these preamps intriguing although I strictly do not need any as my DAC (Spring 3 L2) has a built in preamp, and I listen to my serious headphones (Heddphone, Hifiman HE-6, Taket H2 + TR2) from the speaker terminals of my power amp (Reimyo KAP-777). Maybe I can manage to get one on trial. Anyone compared the SS and Vacuum versions?
A reviewer did i think. See the review links on audio-gd...

Staging is greatly enhanced with these pre while they are very transparent.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #158 of 179
A reviewer did i think. See the review links on audio-gd...

Thanks, the reviewer says that it is a trade-off: the vacuum version offers a slightly incremental improvement regarding soundstage but at the price of slightly less crisp bass. Also, the vacuum version lacks ACSS. Not sure whether this is regrettable as I have no experience with ACSS -- and still do no fully understand what it requires in terms of cabling and connected gear.

Jul 9, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #159 of 179
Acss brings and even more transparent sound when used with other audio-gd gears. Many ACSS cable suppliers exist, and they offer cables at a variety of prices.

Jul 13, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #160 of 179
I have been looking at the HE-350 power regenerative power regulator. The idea appeals to me to have 4 regenerative outputs that can be used for audio-gd non-HE versions and other gear. However it seems hard to get locally (The Netherlands in my case). I do find this on the audio-gd website: http://audio-gd.com/HE/HE350/HE-350EN.htm but with taxes and shipping (30 kg!) this will turn our very expensive.

I do realize that it only has US output sockets and for this reason second hand offerings in Europe will be rare. However it is perfect for me as I am working with US type cables, so I will keep looking...

Anyone has experience with this unit?

Jul 13, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #161 of 179
Magna should be able to get any Audio-gd gear that you want. Have you spoken with them?

Jul 14, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #163 of 179
I have been looking at the HE-350 power regenerative power regulator. The idea appeals to me to have 4 regenerative outputs that can be used for audio-gd non-HE versions and other gear. However it seems hard to get locally (The Netherlands in my case). I do find this on the audio-gd website: http://audio-gd.com/HE/HE350/HE-350EN.htm but with taxes and shipping (30 kg!) this will turn our very expensive.

I do realize that it only has US output sockets and for this reason second hand offerings in Europe will be rare. However it is perfect for me as I am working with US type cables, so I will keep looking...

Anyone has experience with this unit?
I had one of these before moving last year. Amazing, the best audio purchase I ever made. Huge, heavy, and ran a little hot...
I didn't notice at first, but prior to the HE350, I would only listen late at night, but after using the HE350 on my DDC, DAC and preamp, I found myself listening anytime during the day with the same overall characteristics as late night listening. The best benefit of all is giving yourself more listening time - but the relative performance probably depends on how bad your current mains power is. I am sure it has been discontinued from at least a few years ago.
IIRC, there seems to be a lifespan mentioned in the specs, so that should be considered if buying a used one.

I am now considering this, not much in the way of reviews but the product development history up to this model seems legit to me and I think worth a test.
https://littledotus.com/?product=ldp-1000

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #165 of 179
Thanks for the info.

Kingwa just wrote:
"The HE350 had discontinued over 5 years , thank you .
Kingwa"

This LDP 1000 seems to apply the same principle as the HE-350, I will check it out...
The LittleDot uses a switching supply. Perhaps a switching amp too. While Kingwa used class-A power. But it is certainly worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back