Audio-GD HE Series: HE-9, HE-7, HE-1, HE-350
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #166 of 179
Looking at using a HE-1 as preamp for Ferrum Oor. Any thoughts or suggestions very much appreciated (and also preference mk1 vs mk2). Thank you!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #167 of 179
Looking at using a HE-1 as preamp for Ferrum Oor. Any thoughts or suggestions very much appreciated (and also preference mk1 vs mk2). Thank you!
Mkii runs cooler and should be a little better. Can't go wrong with either.

Using it as a pre with volume know maxxed on you amp should bring better transparency. I did try the Musical Fidelity xcan that way using the Master-1 (non regen versïon, which is no more sold) and the results were outstanding. The he1 should enhance the staging too.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #168 of 179
Mkii runs cooler and should be a little better. Can't go wrong with either.

Using it as a pre with volume know maxxed on you amp should bring better transparency. I did try the Musical Fidelity xcan that way using the Master-1 (non regen versïon, which is no more sold) and the results were outstanding. The he1 should enhance the staging too.
Much appreciated 🙏

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #171 of 179
I now have a new HE1 on loan from a friend for the weekend. It temporarily replaces the preamp board of the Spring 3. The sound out of the box -- well, it is broken in for only 2 days -- is organic, coherent, less wide but deeper than the Holo preamp. Less analytical but with beautifully saturated mids. Promising, but too early to have a verdict. Next week I receive an HE-1 Vacuum that has played for 3 years, one of the first to get the upgraded trafo's (less hot). I will report further impressions here.

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #172 of 179
I now have a new HE1 on loan from a friend for the weekend. It temporarily replaces the preamp board of the Spring 3. The sound out of the box -- well, it is broken in for only 2 days -- is organic, coherent, less wide but deeper than the Holo preamp. Less analytical but with beautifully saturated mids. Promising, but too early to have a verdict. Next week I receive an HE-1 Vacuum that has played for 3 years, one of the first to get the upgraded trafo's (less hot). I will report further impressions here.

First impressions, after having had the HE-1 for about a week, and the Vacuum HE-1 XLR for a few days. The HE-1 (on loan from a friend) has only played for just over a week. The Vacuum I bought 2nd hand and is 3 years old. When I first hooked up the Vacuum I noticed that the sound signatures of both were very similar. They both add an organic quality, a less analytical and more analogue (sorry for the cliché) quality compared to the more pointillist transparency of the preamp board in the Spring 3 DAC. Compared to the latter their sound stage is less wide but deeper, more 3D. Also they render deeper bass. A question of taste which way to go, but I preferred it with the Audio-gd's in the chain as they make me listen to music more, and less to sound. There is more involvement.

After the Vacuum warmed up for an hour or so, the difference with its solid state brother became pronounced: it has an amazing and intoxicating spaciousness that is truly intoxicating. I am very happy with this preamp and actually never heard a better one. And that is said by one who used to cherish the minimal and transparent route with the likes of Lightspeed Attenuator, Stereo Coffee, ECdesigns, The Truth and recently the Holo Audio Spring 3 board. The Vacuum for me is a keeper.

Other differences between both versions:
- the Vacuum has one unbalanced and one balanced XLR output to choose from
- the Vacuum does not have an ACSS output
- for similar volume, the setting on the Vacuum is about 10 below the HE-1
- although the same size, the Vacuum is about 2 kg heavier

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #173 of 179
First impressions, after having had the HE-1 for about a week, and the Vacuum HE-1 XLR for a few days. The HE-1 (on loan from a friend) has only played for just over a week. The Vacuum I bought 2nd hand and is 3 years old. When I first hooked up the Vacuum I noticed that the sound signatures of both were very similar. They both add an organic quality, a less analytical and more analogue (sorry for the cliché) quality compared to the more pointillist transparency of the preamp board in the Spring 3 DAC. Compared to the latter their sound stage is less wide but deeper, more 3D. Also they render deeper bass. A question of taste which way to go, but I preferred it with the Audio-gd's in the chain as they make me listen to music more, and less to sound. There is more involvement.

After the Vacuum warmed up for an hour or so, the difference with its solid state brother became pronounced: it has an amazing and intoxicating spaciousness that is truly intoxicating. I am very happy with this preamp and actually never heard a better one. And that is said by one who used to cherish the minimal and transparent route with the likes of Lightspeed Attenuator, Stereo Coffee, ECdesigns, The Truth and recently the Holo Audio Spring 3 board. The Vacuum for me is a keeper.

Other differences between both versions:
- the Vacuum has one unbalanced and one balanced XLR output to choose from
- the Vacuum does not have an ACSS output
- for similar volume, the setting on the Vacuum is about 10 below the HE-1
- although the same size, the Vacuum is about 2 kg heavier
Seems like a gem! That's great. The he1 needs time though. But they are on similar levels i have read. The Vacuum stages even better.

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #174 of 179
Is there a thread for Audio HE9 in general, or is this the "main" thread?

Sep 30, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #178 of 179
Herb loves audiogd

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #179 of 179
Very positive review. Calling it Reference-level is quite a statement.

I like the new enclosure very much. Should help Kingwa's business. Kudos to Kingwa!
Likely, it may end up in one of the recommended lists, similar to the AGD dac.

Maybe I am real lucky, I use some of the same components which Herb uses or have used for his testing before any of the AGD or Elekit was reviewed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back