Audio-GD HE Series: HE-9, HE-7, HE-1, HE-350
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #136 of 179
Did you assemble it yourself or there is a finished option? Got all upgrades?

Nah it was pre built. I have all upgrades except caps are only VCAP ODAM. My 300Bs are also only entry level cossor black plates. The fact this amp can still go further is truly scary.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #138 of 179
I wonder anyone 'round 'here' has heard the newer Master 3A? I would prefer a set up with the HE-1 + R-7HE + Master HE-2 MK2 for the living room, but may have to settlle for a R-27 + Master 3A for the foreseeable future.

I wish there was an R-27HE, but I understand why there isn't.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #140 of 179
Did some more comparing of the tu8600S with the HE9 tonight. This time I focused on house (Mihai Popviciu).

@Shahrose was right.

HE9 (at least against the current complement of tubes on my elekit, rca black plates 12AU7, nos mullard 12AX7 and cossor 300b black plates) wins in terms of bass. It delivers more slam, grunt, impact and attack and its 1-2 tiers above the elekit... its not subtle. So for house music overall I think I prefer the HE9. The elekit I still think wins in terms of midrange magic, space, layering and air.. but he9 fully warmed up is an amazing amp.

1640072507551.png

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #141 of 179
Hi .. did anybody compare HE1 ACSS connection , to the internal volume control of integrated amp from Audio GD ? would the HE1 ACSS output would be as clean as the volume controller of master 10 for example ?

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #142 of 179
Guys just an update. The ARC ref5SE into X350.8 into both HD800S and atticus is a night and day improvement over both HE9 and Elekit tu8600S (mostly fully upgraded but with modest 300b tubes). The soundstage becomes immense... layering, texture, explosive dynamics... music just comes alive in a way that simply is not comparable with he9 and elekit which are several tiers below.

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #143 of 179
[
Guys just an update. The ARC ref5SE into X350.8 into both HD800S and atticus is a night and day improvement over both HE9 and Elekit tu8600S (mostly fully upgraded but with modest 300b tubes). The soundstage becomes immense... layering, texture, explosive dynamics... music just comes alive in a way that simply is not comparable with he9 and elekit which are several tiers below.
Given the price tag, not too surprising, although the source is really crucial to staging. Used with r7he mkii, and an external clock, i get excellent staging. Have not tried hd800 though. But i find that synergy with headohone is what you need the most. Just changing a cable or other small thing can change much.

For your other question, the he1 will do a superb job with volune control used with a power amp through acss, based on what the he9 does and knowing the he9 is very similar (only warmer) . I would not think that using it with the m10 would help though but yes, it would do a better job in the context of separates.

Jan 11, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #144 of 179
Another update. Now focusing on HE9 vs tu8600S with Elrog 300B tubes. The 8600 with this configuration is a clear step above the he9 in terms of soundstage size, focused imaging, clarity, layering. Despite the increased clarity there is a beauty of tonality and texture and liquidity to the sound that he9 does not quite capture.

Having said that is he9 totally blown away by the elekit? No. Thats what impresses me so much about the he9... its an exceptional amp! Id be interested in comparing it to other SS head amps. I wouldn't be surprised if it held up well against much more pricey amps... but of course we can't say for sure unless the comparison is made. I am especially interested in comparing the HE9 to the luxman p750u and nimbus us4.

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #145 of 179
Alright some more listening. I thought the elrog'd tu8600S brought elekit up to pass/arc stack level. I was wrong. Unforunately the sonic difference between elekit with elrogs and the pass + arc stack is bigger than the difference between he9 and the elekit.

Soundstage becomes comically big with unbelieveable air between instruments. Incredible layering more transparency. Large increase in microdynamics. Microdetail elevated. Pass/arc truly intoxicating sound. 2 main problems as I said before: 1. noise (not as bad on hd650 but annoying with hd800S). 2. the stack gets too hot.. very hard to use in summer (winter is fine).

I don't know if ill find a head amp that can do what the stack does while being very low noise and not having as much head production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back